• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Wake Forest Commencement Address Speaker Will Be Stephen Colbert

Well guess I'm going to commencement after all.

I had forgotten who gave my commencement address (2011) and had to look it up. Doubt I'd forget if Colbert gave mine.

+1

'09 was a different story, though. Chilly morning, insane security, and the sitting VPOTUS.

looking at that list, there are some great gets, and some really lame ones. like what's the deal with other university presidents? and what's the deal with:

1969 — President James Ralph Scales

wouldn't he be speaking anyway?

We had Colin Powell in 2004. His speech was ok but it was nice have someone notable. Colbert is an awesome get.

Yes, he would get me super pumped. As would Obama, Clinton, etc.

The commencement address is just a largely pointless exercise. Let's have people sit in the sun, in black gowns for 20 minutes while someone lists off platitudes, all while pretending way too hard not to look like he or she is listing off platitudes.

Which year in the 80's did you graduate?

We had Colin Powell in 2004. His speech was ok but it was nice have someone notable. Colbert is an awesome get.

I went to this commencement. My favorite line was directed at the ROTC graduates, "Welcome to MY army."

The most interesting part about this commencement was the timing. I watched an interesting interview the following weekend. Apparently Powell was in the middle of some important summit overseas and he left to give the commencement speech at Wake and then immediately returned afterward. When asked why he left, he responded that he had to cancel the year before and wasn't going to do that again. Wake was a priority. I thought it was pretty neat.

I went to this commencement. My favorite line was directed at the ROTC graduates, "Welcome to MY army."

The most interesting part about this commencement was the timing. I watched an interesting interview the following weekend. Apparently Powell was in the middle of some important summit overseas and he left to give the commencement speech at Wake and then immediately returned afterward. When asked why he left, he responded that he had to cancel the year before and wasn't going to do that again. Wake was a priority. I thought it was pretty neat.

I remember watching him on CNN a day or so before and he was in Jordan or Israel or something and he told the anchor he had to go catch a plane to give the commencement at Wake Forest.

I remember watching him on CNN a day or so before and he was in Jordan or Israel or something and he told the anchor he had to go catch a plane to give the commencement at Wake Forest.

I had forgotten about that. Great man.

Barbara Bush spoke at mine. Margaret Thatcher spoke on campus earlier that year. I would have preferred they switched those.

Good get for Wake and will get the university in the headlines, but I wouldn't be super pumped for a media personality if I was student. But then I am not really sure what commencement speaker would make me super pumped.

images

But seriously, this is a top-tier get. I literally can't see how someone could disagree (actually I can, out of demographic OWGs who think he is some kind of Carson Daly).

Back