• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

A bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush. I thought coaches couldn't talk about recruits until they signed a LOI.

I just saw Scheier's tweet and have no idea who he is talking about. Theres a ton of players in SC

Nice little highlight video on hudl. Kid looks like he could be a returner also.

A bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush. I thought coaches couldn't talk about recruits until they signed a LOI.

The coaches never refer to the new recruit by name. That's the loophole in the rule.

I was there for the WFU football game over Labor Day weekend a few years ago. It was a Thursday night game and the high temperature at game time was around 80 degrees. I almost suffocated in there. People were constantly fanning with their programs. It is ironic that the Carrier dome has no AC.

I just listened to a 43 minute long interview with Moe Neal that he did with a Syracuse website. Here are some takeaways:

He plans to release a top 5 list on Sunday. He gave away that Syracuse, Duke and Wake Forest will be on the list. He talked extensively about being recruited by all 3 schools.

Georgia and North Carolina have also come to see him during the spring eval period. He thinks UNC might offer sometime. This was his first real contact with Georgia so he doesn’t really know where that will lead.

It sounds like Duke is recruiting him hard. They are selling him on playing the Jamison Crowder role and contact Neal often.

He was very positive about Wake Forest. He says they were the first school to really recruit him hard. He likes the academics. Small classes. Great degree. Noted that Clawson was the only HC of the 3 to win a conference title. His primary recruiter (Coach Belin) reaches out to him almost every morning. You could tell that his interest level in Wake is high.

With Syracuse he noted “the traditions” and the passionate fan base. He twice mentioned how much attention he gets from them on social media. Based on that he thinks that Syracuse is his best opportunity to play in front of a passionate fan base.

Robert Washington hasn’t been placing a lot of pressure on him to commit to Syracuse, but it will be a big factor for him.

Both Syracuse and Duke are recruiting him as a Slot that can also be a returner on special teams. Wake Forest has talked about him in a similar role but has also talked about RB as a possibility.

Bottom line: I think Wake is still very much in the race. Neal is not as close to making a decision as I suspected he might be. Despite the Slot commit yesterday, I think Wake could still take him as an APB.

Talked to my friend last night who coaches at Forestview about Neal. Said that Washington does have a role in his recruitment but says that Neal really doesn't want to go up North and play football. Said he thinks it's down to Duke and Wake, at this moment.

ETA: Neal and Washington are by no means a package deal.

Love the tweet by Coach Scheier re; Malik Grate..."This WR will shred ACC Ds like grated cheese1"

Can someone please compare/contrast Grate with HOF KJ Brent ?

The staff is certainly getting their early targets.

Can someone please compare/contrast Grate with HOF KJ Brent ?

I don't know if this is meant to imply that the comments on Grate have been overly positive. If you are a skeptic I think you would focus on the facts that he wasn't heavily recruited by other schools, played against low-level (2A) competition, and has a very thin build.

Grate actually lives just outside Clemson, SC which I thought was interesting. I went back to his Twitter followers and he does have one Clemson coach and one South Carolina coach following him. However, there is no denying that this is another under-the-radar type, but there is also no denying that he is a high-end athlete.

Diamonds in the rough are usually offered early before everyone else discovers them as opposed to late when everyone has passed on them

Diamonds in the rough are usually offered early before everyone else discovers them as opposed to late when everyone has passed on them

Very good point. Offer lists at the beginning of the cycle aren't comparable to offer lists at the end of the cycle.

I looked up what Matt Colburn's offer list was at this time last year: Marshall, Mercer, Charleston Southern, Coastal Carolina, UAB and James Madison. He didn't get his first P5 offer until June.

how early did we land that qb that didnt even crack his hs depth chart?

Very good point. Offer lists at the beginning of the cycle aren't comparable to offer lists at the end of the cycle.

I looked up what Matt Colburn's offer list was at this time last year: Marshall, Mercer, Charleston Southern, Coastal Carolina, UAB and James Madison. He didn't get his first P5 offer until June.

To be fair though, how many did he end up with? I know that he was sold on the ville for a long time but it wasn't like the P5s were ever chomping at the bit for him. All the better if you can stand me corrected.

Back