• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017-18 Men's College Basketball Thread (NWT)

I mean you obviously disagree but UVA played in it. It's just not fun to watch.

Full disclosure: I didn't watch the entire game, just the last ~10 minutes. UVA is just a brutal team on offense and Syracuse seemed content to play hero ball against the pack line. Neither make for compelling TV when you're not personally invested in one of the teams.

Full disclosure: I didn't watch the entire game, just the last ~10 minutes. UVA is just a brutal team on offense and Syracuse seemed content to play hero ball against the pack line. Neither make for compelling TV when you're not personally invested in one of the teams.

This X100

And all of that said, Bennett is an amazingly good coach and his offensive metric numbers are through the roof and he runs good sets. But he runs useless actions that are going nowhere until like 15 seconds left in the shot clock. I just don't understand why.

This X100

And all of that said, Bennett is an amazingly good coach and his offensive metric numbers are through the roof and he runs good sets. But he runs useless actions that are going nowhere until like 15 seconds left in the shot clock. I just don't understand why.

There are many reasons why. It tires out the defense, physically and mentally. It reduces the number of possessions per game. All of this is part of his game strategy and team identity, and it works quite well.

Offensively, Tony usually runs a blocker/mover offense against a man D. The design is to run guards off screens, and it's more to open up wing players than it is to look for post players - though he will look for post players when he has a Gill or a Scott. The secondary purpose of the offense, I think, is to tire out the other team's guards. The packline makes you use the whole shot clock much of the time, and your wings end up getting tired by having to work hard on both ends. And what often happens at the ends of games is exactly what happened last night. It's a close game for 30:00, and then you start forcing tougher shots down the stretch. Last night, they of course faced Boeheim's 2-3 zone, so they were throwing around the perimeter and flashing guys to the FT line, and Hunter got some easy baskets in the middle of that zone in the 1st half.

I agree with Tau that UVA doesn't run its offense for the 1st half of their possessions. I think he likes making each and every possession a slow slog. Not sure otherwise. But I love going to UVA games. I love good D, and they're consistently 1 of the best defensive teams in college. And I like the packline and liked when Dino played it - those were easily our best Ds since Odom. But Tony's teams execute in the halfcourt much better than Dino's teams did - that's for sure.

There are many reasons why. It tires out the defense, physically and mentally. It reduces the number of possessions per game. All of this is part of his game strategy and team identity, and it works quite well.

Works awesome no disagreement on that. It just isn't fun to watch unless you cheer for UVA. Of course i'm a bigger fan of the NBA so it could just be preference.

cow college playing clem's son tough at home coming off their big dook win.

And they get their PG back just in time to beat us next week. :(

I'd almost rather have our problems than have to deal with a total fraud like Turdgeon

State now with 3 wins against ranked teams midway through Year 1 of Keatts. Do we have 3 wins against ranked teams midway through Year 4 of Manning? I can think of Louisville, and that's it.

State's gonna be really good in a couple years. Blah.

Do either of these teams want to win this game? I believe the officials missed the first NC State inbounds bounce pass that hit out of bounds first, but the ref wasn't going to miss it the 2nd time it happened.

state doing everything they can to try to lose this, unreal

Do either of these teams want to win this game? I believe the officials missed the first NC State inbounds bounce pass that hit out of bounds first, but the ref wasn't going to miss it the 2nd time it happened.

They missed clemson all the way across the inbounds line every single play in the last 2 minutes though

Nice timeout to ice him. Still remember that poor Memphis kid who was in a similar situation (though I believe he was by himself on the line since the clock was at 0.00) about a decade ago who needed to hit all 3 free throws to go to the NCAA tournament and missed 2 of the 3 to lose by 1 in the conference tournament final.

They missed clemson all the way across the inbounds line every single play in the last 2 minutes though

Oh I'm sure that happens quite a bit in these late game press situations, but it is just never going to get called unless the defender actually makes contact with the ball while across the line.

Oh I'm sure that happens quite a bit in these late game press situations, but it is just never going to get called unless the defender actually makes contact with the ball while across the line.

Neither is the ball touching the line on the inbounds pass. And yet...

Back