• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017-18 Men's College Basketball Thread (NWT)

UVA just reloads with recruits no one else wants.

UVA just reloads with recruits no one else wants.

Tony is having some difficulty with this upcoming class at this point with a 1* PG from CA and a SF from Australia. We'll see how well he finishes it off. Hopefully it improves.

Really not impressed with State last night. Other than getting some offensive rebounds and some unusual transition points against UVA, they sucked in their half court sets. They have some talent but couldn't get off quality shots. And UVA outside of Hall had a bit of an off night. Jerome's ball handling was unusually suspect, they didn't get back on D in transition a handful of times, and they went through a couple of bad offensive stretches where they didn't get quality shots.

Saw this stat yesterday:

in UVA's last 3 games (VT, UNC and State), UVA played 3 teams in the top half in the ACC in scoring (points per game), and held each of them to more 30 points under their scoring average.

UVA also scored under their average in two of those games. UVA plays really good D, but they also slow the ball down on offense which suppresses possessions decidedly.

Saw this stat yesterday:

in UVA's last 3 games (VT, UNC and State), UVA played 3 teams in the top half in the ACC in scoring (points per game), and held each of them to more 30 points under their scoring average.

State had no idea how to attack the packline, especially in the 1st half. They also didn't play Freeman up front that much, and I thought he was their best big. But don't pay attention to total scoring when it comes to UVA. Pay attention to FG%D or points per possession because they make opponents go deep in the shot clock, and they usually go deep in their own shot clock. UVA and the packline generally are vulnerable to great scoring guards, stretch 4s (Mitiglou gave them fits) and bigs who can deftly pass out of doubles. Syracuse gave them some problems for 35:00 with their athletic wings, WVU's 2 great guards handled them, BC's Robinson was killing them, and Davidson hung around and got off quality shots for 30:00 (I enjoy watching McKillop's teams play). But undisciplined and unprepared teams get chewed up.

Edited to add in response to RJ that UVA went through a couple of bad stretches offensively and had an off game outside of Hall. Not 1 of their better games, but State got down early and never seriously challenged them - lead was in double digits after the 1st 10-12:00 for the rest of the game.

Last edited:
Tony is having some difficulty with this upcoming class at this point with a 1* PG from CA and a SF from Australia. We'll see how well he finishes it off. Hopefully it improves.

Really not impressed with State last night. Other than getting some offensive rebounds and some unusual transition points against UVA, they sucked in their half court sets. They have some talent but couldn't get off quality shots. And UVA outside of Hall had a bit of an off night. Jerome's ball handling was unusually suspect, they didn't get back on D in transition a handful of times, and they went through a couple of bad offensive stretches where they didn't get quality shots.

What's so sad is that as bad as state looked last night they're probably gonna run us out of their gym on thurs. :(

Hope that's not the case, but fear that it is. And it sucks considering that we swept them last season.

They're trajectory looks to be up.

UVA #2 in latest poll...if scoring 55 points a game gets me that you can sign me up

Tony is the man!

Agreed. Always been a Bennett fan- boring as hell to watch their ugly defensive minded games but all they do is win.

I'd love to have Bennett's regular season records. However, his UVA NCAAT record is lacking. In five appearances, he has yet to beat a better seeded team. He lost to a #10 seed as a #1, a #7 as #2, a #4 as #1. The other two years his teams got blown out by more than 25 in each loss. Once as a #7 vs. #10 and last year as a #5 vs. a #4.

I'm surprised to hear those stats on UVA in the tourney. I knew they hadn't made much noise but you'd think their defense would translate pretty well to tournament play. Guess it hasn't worked out that way.

Interesting to hear a WF fan critiquing Bennett and UVA about their post-season runs as UVA has made the Sweet 16 three times in the last 4 years, and the Final 8 once (BTW, every team that beat UVA reached the Final 4; so, it's not like the team's the beat UVA weren't quality teams). Throw in a 2014 ACC title, and a loss in the ACC Championship game, and wow, UVA's post-season record really looks "awful".

Over the last 4 years, UVA is 14-7 in the post-season. WF is 1-5 over the same stretch.

Interesting to hear a WF fan critiquing Bennett and UVA about their post-season runs as UVA has made the Sweet 16 three times in the last 4 years, and the Final 8 once (BTW, every team that beat UVA reached the Final 4; so, it's not like the team's the beat UVA weren't quality teams). Throw in a 2014 ACC title, and a loss in the ACC Championship game, and wow, UVA's post-season record really looks "awful".

Over the last 4 years, UVA is 14-7 in the post-season. WF is 1-5 over the same stretch.

Florida lost to South Carolina in the Elite 8 last year, but I believe your Final 4 stat is correct for the rest of UVA's losses.

Purdue up to #3 ranking.

Sure would like to have had Haas in our black and gold as a senior leader this season. :(

UVA #2 in latest poll...if scoring 55 points a game gets me that you can sign me up

Tony is the man!

That’s why I would kill for the Dave Odom days. Let win games 63-58 and be in the tourney every year.

Nice of cha sheshki to show up for the game tonight.

He did not even bother to show up for the exhibition game on Saturday vs. Wake.

Claims he had the flu, but he is so sick he cannot show up Saturday, but 45 hours later, he is on a plane. The last time I had the flu, the last thing I could imagine was getting on an airplane.

My guess is he was busy with USA Basketball commitments on Saturday (not really, but would not surprise you, would it?).

Just wanted to say...fuck you Mike Kazoo.

He didn’t need to show up to beat Wake.

Miami whipping Duke, BC whipping FSU, we are the worst team in the league and I’m not sure it’s even close.

Apparently Pitt really sucks.

Back