• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017-18 Men's College Basketball Thread (NWT)

I know that losing Grantham is a big blow to Clemson, but they impressed me in the 1st half. They ran their halfcourt sets well and were able to get a lot of high quality shots off. But then UVA played their best half of ball all year on both ends in the 2nd half, holding them to 13 points.

FWIW, Wilkins went to the locker room twice in the 2nd half and didn't play down the stretch and had something on his lower back under his jersey and pants. Fortunately for them, Diakite and Hunter played well in his absence.

FWIW, UVA's current adjusted defensive efficiency (adjusted defensive efficiency is the number of points that an average D-1 basketball team would score against the defense in 100 possessions) rating of 81.5 is not only the best in college basketball this season by 5 points (which is a ton - differences between top teams is typically less than a point), UVA currently has the best defensive rating in the history of the stat dating to 2002.

Until this season, the best ever adjusted defensive efficiency rating was 2015 Kentucky, a team that included Karl Anthony Towns, Willie Cauley-Stein, Devin Booker, the Harrison twins, Tyler Ulis and Trey Lyles among others. KY started: 6-6, 6-6, 6-10, 7-0, 7-0. 8 players from that Kentucky team have played in the NBA. This UVA defense is currently 3 points better than that Kentucky defense.

And UVA isn't exactly the most athletic or longest team. Guy and Jerome aren't especially quick, though they can at least stay in front of the men they're guarding this year as opposed to last. Johnson is short. Hall is easily their best perimeter defender. Hunter is small to be a 4, but that's mostly what he's playing. Salt moves well for a big guy but is clumsy. This isn't the most talented UVA team, and the only current player who will sniff the NBA is Hunter if he can transition to the 3. But they do really play well as a unit defensively. I also think it says something about this college hoops season. There aren't any dominant teams - just a lot of pretty good teams. But I think it says even more about the packline as the defense to play in today's college game with all the great players leaving after a year or 2. We easily had our best defenses post-Odom in Dino's 3 seasons. Maybe Danny should hire Dino to be his defensive Xs and Os assistant. :couch:

Uh oh, Pitt road win looking doubtful- they led almost the entire game by double digits before state pulled out the win late.

We're going to have to "steal" a win in one of our remaining home games to break the long losing streak. :(

Wasn't impressed with Miami's shot selection last night - guys who were off kept jacking up not great shots. But somehow they pulled it out. And FSU held serve pretty easily.

Question about Louisville as our game with them approaches. Do they have a post-season ban this year, or has the NCAA dealt with them yet? I mean, not that paying for hookers or steering kids toward dubious financial advisors needs to be dealt with after UNC skated.

That version of Duke doesn't exist anymore. Ever since Duke went full-on with the one and done route, Duke now out scores people and plays marginal defense for a top 20 team. K can get away with it because he has a starting 5 of NBA lottery picks with more on the way. Marquette does not.

Not coincidentally the only Duke teams of recent vintage that were solid in D on Kenpom -- 2013 and 2015 -- were the ones who made deep runs

Agree about Duke. And I think that's why you see them playing so much zone these days - they always have length but are lazy and inexperienced defensively. The other team that really hasn't impressed me defensively the last 2 times I've seen them is UNC both here and in Blacksburg - very lax and both UVA and Tech beat them by double digits. Not that I exactly minded watching UVA and Tech roll over UNC.

Could be trump news going after a black guy, or could be legit. Pretty weird I have to wonder which one it is.
Considering their history, I fear the latter. But then there's UNC.

Last edited:
That version of Duke doesn't exist anymore. Ever since Duke went full-on with the one and done route, Duke now out scores people and plays marginal defense for a top 20 team. K can get away with it because he has a starting 5 of NBA lottery picks with more on the way. Marquette does not.

I agree with you generally but no way in hell is "The psycho Tripper" a lottery pick. They have sold Kurt what little soul they ever had. Since it hasn't been said yet today Fuck Duke!

People here seem to think we are going to beat State at home but they may be playing for shot at an NCAAT bid and we are playing for I don’t know what.

Last edited:
Best game I’ve seen this season.

Back