• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017-18 Men's College Basketball Thread (NWT)

Dook and UNC lose in the last seconds before their mega match up.

That’s better than any Wake win this season.

Why was Larranaga not good enough for this job again?

Wins are nice. Maybe we’ll get them again someday.

That was eerily similar to the Nova-UNC championship game when Marcus Paige hit a 3 to tie it, and then Nova comes right back and hits the buzzer beater dagger.

Rhode Island fell 21 spots in Kenpom tonight after losing by 30 at home to St. Joe's. Gotta be a record for this late in the season

ACC estimated “market” Power Ratings: Duke 87, Virginia 86, North Carolina 83, Clemson 80, Florida State 79, Virginia Tech 79, Louisville 78, Miami 77, NC State 77, Syracuse 76, Notre Dame 76, Georgia Tech 73, Wake Forest 73, Boston College 73, Pittsburgh 64.

Let’s see if Duke drops a smidge next time, based on Tuesday’s reminder to the market that the Blue Devils have trouble sustaining perceived superiority over the field.

Big 12 estimated “market” Power Ratings: Kansas 86, West Virginia 84 at home…83 on the road, Texas Tech 83 at home…82 on the road, TCU 81, Oklahoma 81 at home…80 on the road, Kansas State 79, Baylor 79, Texas 79 (77 without Bamba), Oklahoma State 77, Iowa State 73 at home...72 on the road

ACC has been hurt by injuries to ND, Clem and Miami. ND likely won't make it as is, and I just don't see Clem and Miami going far based on their losing 1 of their better players each. As for ND, though, if they can take out UVA Saturday and then make an ACC Tourney run to the semis or finals, I'd hope the NCAA would let them in because they're a top-20 team with Farrell and Colson. Maybe a top-10 team. They will cruise tonight, but I'm really interested to see how Colson looks on Saturday.

Because we beat George Mason in 06. Wellman wasn’t impressed in the least. On the other hand, he was starstruck by our mauling at the hands of Jeffrey.

When we hired Danny, there was no way Laranaga was leaving Miami.

When we hired BZZZZ, Stevens was clearly our first choice. We talked to a couple of others. It's not that Laranage wasn't good enough, but I'm not sure they wanted to hire a 60 yo at that time. Was that smart? No.

While we're talking about Larranaga, UVA's assistants in 1984 were Odom, Larranaga, Jeff Jones and Seth Greenberg. And I think Auriemma was an assistant under Debbie Ryan around that time.

While we're talking about Larranaga, UVA's assistants in 1984 were Odom, Larranaga, Jeff Jones and Seth Greenberg. And I think Auriemma was an assistant under Debbie Ryan around that time.

with Rick Carlisle on the floor

with Rick Carlisle on the floor

Yup. So I looked up the career #s for that 4some of assistants. It's a total of 2171-1374 with 2 of those guys still coaching. What was slightly surprising was that Greenberg had the most wins of the bunch (676) and Odom had the fewest (405). I wonder if any other hoops programs have ever had over 2K in wins as head coaches who were assistants at the same time. And yes, Geno was a UVA assistant from 1981-85.

Last edited:
How about the staff for Danny's junior year at Kansas:

Larry Brown
Pop
Bill Self
RC Burford
Alvin Gentry

For Danny's senior year Mark Turgeon replaced Pop.

So hard to believe that with all these influences.... Danny sucks as a bench coach. :(

Big 10 Basketball Tourney starts tonight in MSG. The Big 10 was desperate to play the event in NYC to "grow the conference", but the Big East has the MSG locked up for years on the traditional conference tourney weekend (and the ACC had locked up the Barclay's Center). So, to start the tourney the weekend before, the conference had to compress their season meaning that every team had to play 3 conference games in a week at least once during the season. Not a popular move among Big 10 coaches or fans.

The 4 cellar-dweller's start the tourney tonight:

13-18 Iowa v. 14-17 Illinois
15-16 Minnesota v. 13-18 Rutgers

Tickets for tonight's games were available for $6 on stubhub.

Big 10 Basketball Tourney starts tonight in MSG. The Big 10 was desperate to play the event in NYC to "grow the conference", but the Big East has the MSG locked up for years on the traditional conference tourney weekend (and the ACC had locked up the Barclay's Center). So, to start the tourney the weekend before, the conference had to compress their season meaning that every team had to play 3 conference games in a week at least once during the season. Not a popular move among Big 10 coaches or fans.

The 4 cellar-dweller's start the tourney tonight:

13-18 Iowa v. 14-17 Illinois
15-16 Minnesota v. 13-18 Rutgers

Tickets for tonight's games were available for $6 on stubhub.

I'm sorry, but what moron in the midwest thought that would be a good idea. I've been to the ACC tourney a few times but haven't gone and won't go since expansion. Just too much time off work and too expensive. (When it was Fri-Sun in Greensboro, it was much more doable and less expensive - yes, you would always skip the LRI.) And when you have to pay for travel, hotels and food in NYC, it makes it triply not worth it. And if you're a B10 school going to NYC, then you gotta fly unless you're Rutgers or Penn St. The B10 tourney should always be in Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Indianapolis or Minneapolis. Did any of y'all pay the enormous expense to go to Brooklyn last year? Hope the ACC doesn't go back to NYC. Stay in Greensboro, Atlanta, Charlotte and DC.

Expansion and bloated conferences have destoyed the conference tournaments. Even after the NCAA field expanded to 64 (and then to 68), the conference tournaments were weekend events that weren't completely ruined even if your team lost early. Now the major conference tourneys are 5 day events that start on a Tuesday or Wednesday, and there is no point for a fan of a team that is playing early to go to watch your team play another crappy opponent before getting routed (unless the tourney is close by and you can attend without losing the rest of the week and the weekend). Heading into this season (even if WF had played to expectation and finished 9th or 10th in conference), why would any WF fan plan to blow thousands of dollars and a half week of work to see WF play a mid-week game on a Tuesday or Wednesday with a best case scenario of playing a 2nd game before getting knocked out?

Same is true for the sad fans of the 4 schools playing the Big 10 tourney in NYC tonight. Is a Minnesota fan really going to make plans to stay in NYC from Wednesday to Sunday, when at best, the Gophers will be done by tomorrow afternoon?

Back