• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017-18 Men's College Basketball Thread (NWT)

This isn't new -- the Big Ten tourney was in DC last year, a further trip for most schools (and actually seemed to do OK attendance wise). I guess this is just a story since its NYC and they have to play a week earlier

This isn't new -- the Big Ten tourney was in DC last year, a further trip for most schools (and actually seemed to do OK attendance wise). I guess this is just a story since its NYC and they have to play a week earlier

This is a story because the B1G teams had to play a compressed (three conference games in some week) schedule to finish the conference season in time to start this week. Teams were "allowed" to schedule non-conference games next week. Guess how many did.

I won't keep you in suspense. None did so.

Yeah, I get that part of it. But seems like more people are talking about the geographics than that more legitimate storyline

Yeah, I get that part of it. But seems like more people are talking about the geographics than that more legitimate storyline

Midwesterners don't want to come to the east coast. They might see the ocean.

Illinois's season ends before the calendar even hits March. Sad!

Non basketball school Clemson reeling in win number 22, and Jim Christian and his BC team leaving WF behind.

BC put it to Syracuse tonight. Held Syr to no FG for over 5 min in second half. 85-70 final. BC 13 of 26 (50%) on 3s for the game.

Non basketball school Clemson reeling in win number 22, and Jim Christian and his BC team leaving WF behind.

Brownell is doing a hell of a job this year, considering the injuries they have been dealing with. Before this year I did not have a very high opinion of him and figured he might not be in that job much longer...

Yup. So I looked up the career #s for that 4some of assistants. It's a total of 2171-1374 with 2 of those guys still coaching. What was slightly surprising was that Greenberg had the most wins of the bunch (676) and Odom had the fewest (405). I wonder if any other hoops programs have ever had over 2K in wins as head coaches who were assistants at the same time. And yes, Geno was a UVA assistant from 1981-85.

I think UVA went to the Final 4 without Ralph Sampson, that year. #coaching matters

Illinois's season ends before the calendar even hits March. Sad!

Mark Alstork was god awful this season. He was one of the bigger grad transfers last year given his scoring prowess.

5.8ppg / 33.5%FG / 24.1%3pt this year after averaging 19ppg and shooting 38.7% from 3 as a high volume shooter last year at Wright State.

I am a petty person, I guess, but Illinois sucking this year warms my heart.

Seems like plenty of candidates for ACC COY this year, which means it will default to K.

1. Bennett
2. Brownell
3. Keatts
14. Manning
15. Stallings

Hey, we're not last! :tard:

just one point per possession worse than the 2006 team!!!!

I think UVA went to the Final 4 without Ralph Sampson, that year. #coaching matters

Yes, but that was still a talented team. They had Wilson, Carlyle and Stokes at guard, their best 2 frontcourt players were Miller and Polynice, and the bench was decent. They also had 2 of the biggest thugs of the 1980s on that team - Sheehey and Merrifield. Back then, Big East play was absolutely brutal, but the ACC was physical too, and we had our share of bruisers. Other than Sheehey and Merrifield, Duke had Meagher and Bilas, and Maryland had Fothergill and Veal. But yeah, UVA had 1 final-4 with Ralph and 1 a couple of years after him. Then should have had another 1 a few years ago but for a super massive 2nd half choke against Syracuse.

Sean Miller press conference in a few minutes. Probably safe to assume since he is there that Arizona is going to call ESPN liars and that their coach has their full support.

Craptastic season for MD. Knocked out in their first game in the Big 10 tourney today. Finished 8th in a bad big 10 conference. There is a growing fire Turge movement (MD's 19-13 record looks better than it was; they played the #305 OOC schedule, and ended up beating only one top 75 team all year finished 1-13 against top 75 teams). MD has a highly rated recruiting class coming in, and MD is not about to eat Turgeon's contract which runs another 5 years, but a lot of MD fans felt like MD might dominate the Big 10. Has not happened.

Craptastic season for MD. Knocked out in their first game in the Big 10 tourney today. Finished 8th in a bad big 10 conference. There is a growing fire Turge movement (MD's 19-13 record looks better than it was; they played the #305 OOC schedule, and ended up beating only one top 75 team all year finished 1-13 against top 75 teams). MD has a highly rated recruiting class coming in, and MD is not about to eat Turgeon's contract which runs another 5 years, but a lot of MD fans felt like MD might dominate the Big 10. Has not happened.

Unless someone bolts for the NBA which seems unlikely, MD ought to be pretty good next year. They don't lose any key players (Cowan, Huerter and Fernandado all return), they'll have Justin Jackson back healthy, and they add a terrific recruiting class.

Back