• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017-18 Men's College Basketball Thread (NWT)

Unless someone bolts for the NBA which seems unlikely, MD ought to be pretty good next year. They don't lose any key players (Cowan, Huerter and Fernandado all return), they'll have Justin Jackson back healthy, and they add a terrific recruiting class.

Agree, but there are rumors that Jackson and Fernando could both move on to pro ball (Jackson almost went last year).

Craptastic season for MD. Knocked out in their first game in the Big 10 tourney today. Finished 8th in a bad big 10 conference. There is a growing fire Turge movement (MD's 19-13 record looks better than it was; they played the #305 OOC schedule, and ended up beating only one top 75 team all year finished 1-13 against top 75 teams). MD has a highly rated recruiting class coming in, and MD is not about to eat Turgeon's contract which runs another 5 years, but a lot of MD fans felt like MD might dominate the Big 10. Has not happened.

That was irrational. They have a slightly above average coach, and will continue to be so. Not sure why that dude has been so overrated the past few seasons.

Agree, but there are rumors that Jackson and Fernando could both move on to pro ball (Jackson almost went last year).

Jackson was definitely going to leave before he got hurt. Will be very difficult for him to go early coming off a serious injury. Doesn't mean it won't happen but seems wiser to come back if he wants to get drafted.

Virginia with a huge kick in the gut to Louisville. Holy cow.

Buzzer beater banked 3 JUST like the one UVA hit against us a couple years ago.

What makes that collapse so incredible is that loserville hit every free throw in the final minute seemingly.

UVA shooter blatantly pushed off before the foul call on the three point shot at the end.

That was crazy shit. They lost on a banked three with .9 to go after turning the ball over because player moved on spot inbounds. Throwing it off a player wins the game. Crazy

That was crazy shit. They lost on a banked three with .9 to go after turning the ball over because player moved on spot inbounds. Throwing it off a player wins the game. Crazy

The stupidity was to foul the 3 point shooter with 5 secs left up 4. That’s where the idiocy began.

This isn't new -- the Big Ten tourney was in DC last year, a further trip for most schools (and actually seemed to do OK attendance wise). I guess this is just a story since its NYC and they have to play a week earlier

The crowd seems to be pretty good and really into the game, more so than a 1st or 2nd round ACCT game in G'boro.

Rutgers winning their second game in two nights as a fourteen seed in the B1G tournament could make for an entertaining game against Purdue at MSG tomorrow.

Rutgers winning their second game in two nights as a fourteen seed in the B1G tournament could make for an entertaining game against Purdue at MSG tomorrow.

Penn St. might be playing for a bid tonight as well, going for the 3-game sweep of Ohio State.

First time a 14 seed has won two games in a conference tournament. I guess because up until recently, there never were 14 seeds in conference tournaments.

HowTF is Louisville only 9-8 and 19-11 overall? They played UVA tough here and are 1 of the few teams who have executed their offense very well against UVA's packline. And I've seen them play other really good games this year, including handling VT in Blacksburg last week. I've seen the top 10 or so ACC teams play at least a few times each, and to me Louisville is easily at least the 3rd best team after UVA and Duke. They're a much better defensive team than UNC, and they have a much better offense than Clemson or Miami. I mean, they'll still make the tourney, and as an 8-9 seed could easily upset a #1 in round 2. But this is clearly the biggest bunch of underachievers in the conference. And to have 2 mindnumbingly stupid plays in the last 4 seconds of a game you had won is just amazing.

Penn St. might be playing for a bid tonight as well, going for the 3-game sweep of Ohio State.

Nah, Big Ten is pathetic this year, and they couldn't go over .500 in it. They need to win the thing IMO, unless the committee throws them a complete bone and forgives everything because of their solid metrics

There may not be a stronger ATS trend in college hoop than going with the favorite in the third match up when the dog won the first two. Doesn't happen often, but when it does the favorite hits at a very high rate. This explains why the PSU/OSU game opened at tOSU -3.5, and it immediately jumped to 4.5.

HowTF is Louisville only 9-8 and 19-11 overall? They played UVA tough here and are 1 of the few teams who have executed their offense very well against UVA's packline. And I've seen them play other really good games this year, including handling VT in Blacksburg last week. I've seen the top 10 or so ACC teams play at least a few times each, and to me Louisville is easily at least the 3rd best team after UVA and Duke. They're a much better defensive team than UNC, and they have a much better offense than Clemson or Miami. I mean, they'll still make the tourney, and as an 8-9 seed could easily upset a #1 in round 2. But this is clearly the biggest bunch of underachievers in the conference. And to have 2 mindnumbingly stupid plays in the last 4 seconds of a game you had won is just amazing.

I feel the same way about Louisville... When they are playing well, they are as good as most anyone. The silver lining (for them) is that the underperformance has made their decision to move on from Padgett pretty easy. There won't be a bunch of Louisville fans pining for Padgett to be retained.

Back