• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 College Basketball Thread

The glow has dimmed on Shaka, but if you look at Currie's targets at TN they were substantial.

Pat Chambers may be growing his resume but is still basically a one hit wonder. I can't imagine Chrissie or Brownell even being on any list.

As I said before:
"Personally however, I'm expecting a mid level Power Six current head coach. Probably one that's either been solid but not spectacular for whatever reason or is just starting to regress from a recent burst of success.

Who that might be and from which of the other five conferences I don't know. I just know that feels like what Currie will be looking for."

Last edited:
At TN, he looked at major people like Mike Leach. Why would he change at Wake?

Yes, but you do realize that you'd definitely be in the minority for a reason, right?
Brownell, Shaka, (Chris) Collins, Chambers, ect all would do that same "achieve mediocrity" but [except for maybe Shaka] no one's going to be excited for it.
Still, this is exactly what I think Currie is going to be looking at.

Absolutely. I don’t want it to seem like I’m fixated on Brownell. Not like I think Brownell is anything incredible, but he’s done a solid job at a place where basketball is an afterthought. I just don’t understand when people trash him and flaunt Shaka and others. We are so far in the depths and damaged that we just need someone of his caliber that can teach us how to walk again. Hopefully someone else that can bring back fundamental basketball. Yes, after a decade of embarrassment I think most of us would gladly take mediocrity for the next few years in the hope of relevance on the horizon. Although, this is all probably a waste of though and time being that the mannequin will probably win a few more and will be back next year.

At TN, he looked at major people like Mike Leach. Why would he change at Wake?
Because we aren't Tennessee and this isn't Football.
Tennessee isn't the example from Currie's past to look at... Kansas State is.

Try not to be dense. I know it's hard.

Why do people think Brownell isn't as good as Shaka? Because he isn't close to being as good.

Shaka has made The Dance seven of the past ten years. In ten years at Clemson, Brownell has made it twice.

Remember, I have said a bunch of Shaka's luster is wearing off. Brownell never had any.

Absolutely. I don’t want it to seem like I’m fixated on Brownell. Not like I think Brownell is anything incredible, but he’s done a solid job at a place where basketball is an afterthought. I just don’t understand when people trash him and flaunt Shaka and others. We are so far in the depths and damaged that we just need someone of his caliber that can teach us how to walk again. Hopefully someone else that can bring back fundamental basketball. Yes, after a decade of embarrassment I think most of us would gladly take mediocrity for the next few years in the hope of relevance on the horizon. Although, this is all probably a waste of though and time being that the mannequin will probably win a few more and will be back next year.

There was definitely an appeal to Shaka at one point which brownell has never had and will never. But the bloom is off that rose.

Absolutely. I don’t want it to seem like I’m fixated on Brownell. Not like I think Brownell is anything incredible, but he’s done a solid job at a place where basketball is an afterthought. I just don’t understand when people trash him and flaunt Shaka and others.

I get ya. And I agree, especially on the Shaka-flaunting.
But, Brownell is definitely on the lowest end of the scale I'm thinking about. I think a guy like him has not ever achieved the consistency or that peak that Currie will be looking for.

Last edited:
Because we aren't Tennessee and this isn't Football.
Tennessee isn't the example from Currie's past to look at... Kansas State is.

Try not to be dense. I know it's hard.

I have been very nice and totally non-confrontational, yet you want to make it personal. How very classy of you.

At KSU, he got Bruce Weber who is better than anyone you listed. We'd kill for a guy with a national runner up, an Elite 8 and two Sweet 16s.

Maybe you should actually know what you are talking about before making inane and ignorant statements.

I have been very nice and totally non-confrontational, yet you want to make it personal. How very classy of you.

At KSU, he got Bruce Weber who is better than anyone you listed. We'd kill for a guy with a national runner up, an Elite 8 and two Sweet 16s.

Maybe you should actually know what you are talking about before making inane and ignorant statements.
Weber had just been fired and those NCAA achievements were rapidly becoming distant. But he has been demonstrably solid since at KSU with some Tourney runs. Which is *exactly* what I said Currie will be looking for and expecting.
And I gave you mild razzing. Considering how much worse many others have given you maybe you should toughen up, Buttercup.

Last edited:
Don't cry if I treat you the same way. If you open the door, remember that when it hits you on the butt.

RE: whether TN football is relevant- Of course it is. It's the SEC and a huge money printer. And TN was middle-of-the-pack or below and he got one of the top coaches to listen to him and would have signed with TN had Currie not been sabotaged by Phil Fulmer.

WHOA!!!!WHOA!!!

I'd better watch out. I might get banned for "threatening" to hit you with a door.

R.J., look I don't have anything against you, and we'd likely agree on much offline. But, I'm not going to not razz you or anyone else if I feel like it. As for the, what seems to me, assumption I might report you to get you banned or something, no. You needn't worry; I'm not the reporting type. If that happens, it won't be me doing it.

Now. As for Tennessee, yes, Currie did try to land Mike Leech. (And, might actually did land him in principle)
But he also tried to land Greg Schiano and Dave Fucking Doeren.
None of those guys are exactly going to the Football Playoffs anytime soon. Or had been at the time. So that's a curious hill to insist on dying on. Hell, you even admit that Tennessee was a middle-of-the-pack program at the time... that's EXACTLY what I'm saying will be the likely pool Currie will have to look at. And EXACTLY where Rutgers, NCST, and Washington State WERE. /facepalm

Last edited:
That clearly wasn't directed at you.

The truth is Currie has swung for the fences in coaching hires. Weber was a big get for KSU. Who in the fuck would want to go there and play second fiddle in a horribly boring state?

BTW, the board's #1 replacement for Danny also got fired from a Big 10 school after making a Final Four. It was a nice way to get rid of Matta to bring up "health".

Cole Anthony just suffered a 3 inch gash to his forehead. Must be hating life right now for coming back for this shit.

That clearly wasn't directed at you.

The truth is Currie has swung for the fences in coaching hires. Weber was a big get for KSU. Who in the fuck would want to go there and play second fiddle in a horribly boring state?

BTW, the board's #1 replacement for Danny also got fired from a Big 10 school after making a Final Four. It was a nice way to get rid of Matta to bring up "health".
I dunno if Matta is the boards "#1 target" or not, but I do agree that many do want him.

I would just say Currie's "swing for the fences" is a lot closer to a pop fly resulting in two RBIs than a home run out the park.

Back