• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-2020 NHL Thread – Playoffs???

Yesterday was the only game where I thought the Canes clearly looked like the better team, and they still lost. Losing 4 games all by one goal (minus an empty netter) against arguably the best team in hockey with two star players being injured and questionable (at best) officiating is nothing to be embarrassed about. Very bright future, as long as the young nucleus can stay intact and healthy.

Agree. Re Svech injury question, I don’t think they can release any details until after the season per league Covid rules

I think we can get by with what we've got. Goaltending is way less important than in the old days, look at how many of the recent Cup-winning goalies are faring at the mo

And we're prolly gonna have to go with the current state, both Reimer and Mrazek are on the books for $3M plus next year (though free agents after that). If we had faith in Ned as more than anything than a backup long term I don't think we sign Reimer this offseason. All I've seen is he's projected to not be a starter type.

Maybe shouldn't go full post-mortem yet but what we really need to do is have a strong regular season and not be clawing just to make the playoffs. There's no reason why we can't finish solidly near the top of the Metro and comfortably in the playoffs -- Pens and Caps are running on fumes, I doubt Philly will be this good next year, the Isles and CBJ are what they are and will be perennial bubble teams without much top-end talent, and the Rangers and Devils are still young as hell and building.

Put a 100+-point season together and stick in the Metro for the first two rounds of the playoffs where we avoid BOS/TB/TML (if they figure their shit out) until the conf finals. See no reason why that's not doable

I have to disagree with your first paragraph. Defense still wins championships. In hockey, defense begins with the goalie. It doesn't have to be a hall of fame or even all star goalie. It only takes a goalie who gets into a zone and just stones the opponent for a dozen games or so. Defensemen play better when they know the goalie behind them can erase mistakes.

Eh, I think it's more complicated than that. The teams that have won in the cap era have generally been teams driven by top-end forward play. Maybe the Bruins and Kings slight exceptions to that but dudes like Bergeron, Marchand and Kopitar are still no slouches. Meanwhile dudes like Price and Lundquist are ringless.

Not saying defense is unimportant, just think a strong defensive core is more important than a goalie, and the Canes certainly have that. Though we could be better structurally for sure but the pieces are there, and even then Mrazek and Reimer saved our bacon this year way more than they cost us games.

I have no problem finding a moderate-budget solution if we decide to buyout Reimer (looks like we can do that relatively cheaply), but I don't think we should break the bank seeking a magical solution

And good news re: Svech, didn't have the boot on when the team got back to Raleigh earlier today. Rod was intimating the other day it was way better than it could have been

I’m officially pulling for the Islanders from here on out. Fuck the Capitals. Thanks for sending them home boys.

Gotta respect the hell out of Holtby if this is his last game for the Caps. He’s NEVER had an elite defense in front of him. Dude played his ass off in front of mediocre to sub par defense for years.

IMO whoever's left from the Metro will just be fodder for the Bs and/or Ning.

Gerard Gallant to WSH?

Calgary looking great. Little fortunate playing the second goal in off the goalie but dominating Game 6 so far.

Gerard Gallant to WSH?

Step 1: Shitcan Reirden, check.

Relieved that the trigger had been pulled. Such a shame that Trotz was muscled out with a low-ball extension and an ultimatum for that tool. It reminds me of the infamous Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat/Michael Latta disaster. Both decisions will be questioned by arm-chair psychologists for years to come.

Step 1: Shitcan Reirden, check.

Relieved that the trigger had been pulled. Such a shame that Trotz was muscled out with a low-ball extension and an ultimatum for that tool. It reminds me of the infamous Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat/Michael Latta disaster. Both decisions will be questioned by arm-chair psychologists for years to come.

It was really strange that the Capitals didn't want to pay Trotz after the Stanley Cup win.

Nats are doing the same to their GM, Mike Rizzo.

Coyle with another impressive goal on a waist high deflection at a tough angle.

I can’t figure Dallas out aside from 1) they love stringing together a streak of unanswered goals & 2) they love posting 5+ on the scoresheets in Edmonton.

Not only are they in Round 2 (which I personally thought was unlikely) but they’re up 2-0 over Colorado :eek:

not sure if any of you are watching the Boston/ TB game, but it appears to me that there are more poorly officiated games than I remember in the past. An awful call at the end of the 2nd against TB.

not sure if any of you are watching the Boston/ TB game, but it appears to me that there are more poorly officiated games than I remember in the past. An awful call at the end of the 2nd against TB.

The penalty they called was fine, but they did miss a slash seconds earlier.

If Boston are playing a playoff game, there will be complete dogshit officiating. This is one of the 10 Commandments of the NHL.

I really hope we get a Vancouver vs. Islanders SCF. Two long suffering fan bases who have stuck with their teams through some truly shitty situations. I would enjoy the hell out of that series.

ETA: I forgive Isles fans for the way they handled Tavares leaving. That was just 40 years of frustration coming out all at once.

Can't wait to hear how the penalty on the first goal and the linesman taking out a defender on the 2nd is further proof of the NHL's grand scheme to get the Bruins into the finals.

Can't wait to hear how the penalty on the first goal and the linesman taking out a defender on the 2nd is further proof of the NHL's grand scheme to get the Bruins into the finals.

One game doesn’t negate an entire series of suspect officiating. You lost by SIX FUCKING GOALS. Go cry somewhere else.

One game doesn’t negate an entire series of suspect officiating. You lost by SIX FUCKING GOALS. Go cry somewhere else.

Ha, I'm not complaining at all...bad calls happen in sports, and especially with subjective calls. I'm just amused how you or others say Boston gets all the calls (or better yet the NHL sets it up) and then you'll ignore when the opposite happens. Convenient.

Toronto has outplayed Boston all three games, Bruins were lucky to finish their chances in Game 1.

Back