• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

Newman took some really hard hits in the State game and seemed essentially unaffected. That gives some hope that due to his size Jamie may be the most durable QB that we have had in a long while. Even so, playing only one QB for an entire season is not likely. If Sam is willing to be patient (as Newman was), red-shirting him would be ideal I think. But that assumes that we have another capable back-up who could fill in temporarily without jeopardizing the season. That too is not likely. Thus we will probably be forced to play both guys. Now can we do that without having a QB controversy??

Taking into consideration that we haven't gotten through a season in the Clawson era with a QB making 11 starts, I hope Clawson takes into consideration the fact that Newman has no redshirt year left while Sam does. If the two are head-to-head going into Utah State, I hope Clawson sees the value of going with Newman as starter and an emergency QB ready to step in OTHER than Sam if Newman has a helmet issue,etc.. In other words, don't burn one of Sam's 4 games he's allowed while still keeping a redshirt year for a single play.

If there is a scenario where Newman's helmet comes off, Wake shouldn't send any QB on the field. If it isn't 3rd and long, just direct snap to Hinton for a run play.

Taking into consideration that we haven't gotten through a season in the Clawson era with a QB making 11 starts, I hope Clawson takes into consideration the fact that Newman has no redshirt year left while Sam does. If the two are head-to-head going into Utah State, I hope Clawson sees the value of going with Newman as starter and an emergency QB ready to step in OTHER than Sam if Newman has a helmet issue,etc.. In other words, don't burn one of Sam's 4 games he's allowed while still keeping a redshirt year for a single play.

John Wolford started 12 games as a freshman and 12 as a senior.

Seems prudent to have 4-5 plays for Hinton at QB for those very situations.

According to Yahoo, it was 11 senior year, and I seem to remember him sitting out Florida State, but you are right on his frosh year and I get your point. Interestingly, in checking to see if you were right on both frosh and senior years, I sort of stumbled on these numbers, which I consider interesting:

2014: Wolford started all 12 games and threw 95% of our passes with Tyler Cameron and Kevin Sousa acting as backups
2015: Wolford played 11 games, not sure how many were starts, and ended up throwing only about 55% of our passes splitting time with Kevin Hinton
2016: Wolford played 11 games, not sure how many starts, but this was the year Hinton won the starting job and got hurt in the first few games earning his extra year. Wolford throw over 80% of our passes that year with Kyle Kearns acting as defacto backup after Hinton went down
2017: Wolford played 11 games, I think all of them starts, with Hinton officially back at backup. Wolford again threw over 80% of our passes that year.

Only in 2015 did we truly go back and forth throughout a season and split snaps.

Carney is awesome. This quote is my favorite:

On being one of the best backs in the country at yards after contact
Carney: “Well, especially since I’m not a speed demon who’s racing everybody to the edge. We can agree on that. A lot of my yards do come from a side tackles. One of the things I take pride on in my game is creating side tackles. That’s my version of making someone miss, is if I can get just an arm or half a body — that’s my beating them to the edge or dirty juke. Yards after contact is a lot of my production and that’s where I come from. It’s brought some edge to it and a lot of the guys on the team like it. It gets them pumped up. I enjoy it. The mentality and the grit. It’s never personal. It’s always what I’ve loved to do. It’s not personal, but it for pride. I love to hit people and run downhill. I take pride in it.”

WF played 13 games Wolford's senior year. So, he missed a start. Wolford's freshman year it was literally a miracle he made it through that season in one piece. From the first game on, the defense had a direct line to unload on him. WF QB is going to take hits and both Newman and Hartman have gotten banged up in their limited time as WF QBs.

Hartman was an 18 yr old true freshman running around out there. I expect him to be much stronger, composed, and know the system inside out. I think his ceiling is higher than Newman, a guy with 2 years in the program that couldn't separate himself from a kid who was in hs 6 months earlier.

Clawson will decide and I trust him to do that. To dismiss Hartman as the lesser quarterback without watching camp is silly.

Hartman was an 18 yr old true freshman running around out there. I expect him to be much stronger, composed, and know the system inside out. I think his ceiling is higher than Newman, a guy with 2 years in the program that couldn't separate himself from a kid who was in hs 6 months earlier.

Clawson will decide and I trust him to do that. To dismiss Hartman as the lesser quarterback without watching camp is silly.

I disagree here. Think with Newman's size and intangibles he demonstrated last year, he has the higher ceiling in our offense. He is a power runner, good arm strength, and has shown he can complete the short throws.

Regardless of opinion on "ceiling," we have a good problem on our hands.

I think that Clawson has said that "the lights didn't go on" for Newman until Sam walked into the building.

He came in sort of with the understanding he had a few years to get ready - one as a RS, and then another year as the 3rd string behind Wolford and Hinton. His "light coming on" did coincide with his expected opportunity to come in RS soph year as #2, but then Hinton got suspended.

I don't believe right now you can say one has a higher ceiling than the other. You could pretty easily argue that Newman has a higher chance at making an NFL roster than Sam, but that Sam has a higher college QB ceiling, but a little silly.

I will say is that my understanding is that Newman also bided his time in high school and that is different than Sam who was essentially the man as a high school frosh. All that is to say that Sam flinched in games last year where we played fast strong elite defenses. He was also skinny, hit on keepers as well as throws, and 18 years old. Newman didn't play great against Pittsburgh at home, but was solid to great in the other 3 games he started. He tends to start a bit slow in games and that is somewhat because he seems intent on not making mistakes, which means not making risky throws.

In my perfect world, Hartman doesn't see a snap until the Virginia Tech game, thus essentially protecting his redshirt year. I could see rolling the dice and playing him half the game against Elon and 3 or 4 series against Rice so he isn't complacent, but then Newman can't miss more than 2 games the rest of the year.

I will say is that my understanding is that Newman also bided his time in high school and that is different than Sam who was essentially the man as a high school frosh.

Sources or #sauces?

Man, I'm not trying to pick on you, but the opposite is true. Jamie was Graham's starting QB three or four games into his freshman season. He was already about 6-2, 220, and played a team that had former WF D-lineman Ali Lamot (Newman's cousin, interestingly enough). Jamie was a three-time All-Region selection -- the only QB in my 5 1/2 years in Burlington to be on the team three times. He was a monster and his team was horrible. He never had an offensive line that could protect him and only had one offensive skill player, his best friend, who could help him on offense. In his junior and senior years, he had to play both ways.

Sam's freshman year was spent as a backup at SouthLake Christian. That's where the coach did everything he could to run Sam off the team, according to his dad. That includes Sam being told that he was going to be the starter, and then having the rug pulled out from under him and being benched again. SouthLake played Davidson Day in the championship game, SouthLake's QB got hurt and they put Sam in at halftime, didn't win but played better in the second half. "Everybody saw that and Chad (Grier) said, ‘Hell, I want Sam.’ So we went over to Chad, who’s a quarterback savant." - that's what Sam's told me last August.

haha. This is obviously why I am not a reporter despite obvious (dubious?) abilities at proselytizing.

I remember the Newman recruitment as him being a bit of a project but built for the job (and being pretty significantly recruited regionally) and Sam with swag and stats before following Grier out to the coast. And then I made [false] assumptions from there.

I still like both and hope Newman stays consistent enough to win the starting job so as to keep Sam an extra year potentially.

If Clawson starts that little shrimp over Newman I swear to god I’ll wish nothing but the worst for this team and Clawson as a person. And he’ll deserve it. If I’m Newman, and I see that happening, I’d put my name in the transfer portal and never look back. If it’s injury it’s one thing, but if Hartman is given the job because his midget hands makes good reads in 7v7 I will lose my mother fucking mind.

Please stop recruiting these gym rat QBs, they fucking suck.

With the way last season played out, the only reason somebody believes that a healthy Hartman should start over a healthy Newman is because they are a Klan member.

There, I said it.

haha. This is obviously why I am not a reporter despite obvious (dubious?) abilities at proselytizing.

I remember the Newman recruitment as him being a bit of a project but built for the job (and being pretty significantly recruited regionally) and Sam with swag and stats before following Grier out to the coast. And then I made [false] assumptions from there.

I still like both and hope Newman stays consistent enough to win the starting job so as to keep Sam an extra year potentially.

Ah, no worries. That's semi-correct on Jamie, he was a project, but because he didn't get much coaching at Graham. That's not to say he had bad coaches -- it was more a product of "we've got a college-bound QB and every other position is lacking, let's do our best to coach them up and get the QB some help."

Correct on Sam too, he developed a ton of swag at Davidson Day. Only after he took a heap of shit at SouthLake, though.

That's a reasonable hope on Jamie winning the job/Sam getting that redshirt year back. But it'll never be a factor in Clawson's decision-making. Just hope as many people understand that as possible.

With the way last season played out, the only reason somebody believes that a healthy Hartman should start over a healthy Newman is because they are a Klan member.

There, I said it.

Really a dumb thing to say!! I will trust DC he knows more about football than the idot who made this post.

Newman not starting would be crazy. He has an NFL type body and the 3 wins in his 4 starts against that level of competition was impressive.

In Clawson's offense, where the QB runs, having a big durable guy like that is such a huge plus. Sam has a bright future, but it would be in his best interest to redshirt if it works out that way.

Back