• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

Seem to remember a majority here advocating for Hinton over Wolford, and then Wolford led WF to the best offensive season in school history in 2017.

More than any coach at WF in my memory, every decision that Clawson makes is a reasoned decision to maximize the likelihood of victory. Whomever starts (and I expect it to be Newman) will be the QB that Clawson has determined makes it more likely to win this season. Yes, last year, Newman outplayed Hartman, but this isn't 2018 any more. Have total confidence that Clawson will make the right decision (btw, I am certain that Clawson doesn't give a F, if his decision might be second guessed).

I would only tweak that to say, Clawson's decisions are generally made through the lens of who gives the team the best chance to win the next game, not necessarily the whole season. Season decisions really only seem to relate to the redshirt issue and the ability to play a kid 4 games and keep them invested and still "gain a season - e.g., Rondell Bothroyd last year who is technically still a frosh despite seeing some significant snaps in exactly 4 games.

If you'll allow me to slide on the bickering (for the most part), I've got plenty of sarcasm and rage to discharge.

No shock. Was actually happy the post about Klan members wasn't directed at me.

You can certainly state opinions. But the topic has come up on here about twice a month since spring practices ended that Jamie earned the right to start because of how he played at the end of the season. It's frustrating to see it continue to pop up because it's already been discussed ad nauseum. If this coaching staff was one to predetermine starters based on the previous season, Kendall Hinton starts in 2017. Maybe Clawson has lied to us every time he's said the QBs will be evaluated and in competition right up until game prep starts for Utah State, and the only thing that would change that is an injury.

Anyway, it's been a long summer. You're absolutely correct on your last graf.

Not sure what the Klan reference is.

Hinton came in relief in one game and made some plays and then was injured for the season early in the next game. Wolford looked really good in the bowl game too and outplayed Hinton during spring putting up impressive stats. I don't think that is comparable to Newman winning 3 of 4 games (all away from home) against top 50 competition while Hartman's best win was against either Louisville or Tulane.

Newman's game against State was the best QB performance of the season

He also has the superior physical profile

Clawson has earned the benefit of the doubt on his decision, but I'm hoping State-game Newman is the QB we have this year

Seem to remember a majority here advocating for Hinton over Wolford, and then Wolford led WF to the best offensive season in school history in 2017.

More than any coach at WF in my memory, every decision that Clawson makes is a reasoned decision to maximize the likelihood of victory. Whomever starts (and I expect it to be Newman) will be the QB that Clawson has determined makes it more likely to win this season. Yes, last year, Newman outplayed Hartman, but this isn't 2018 any more. Have total confidence that Clawson will make the right decision (btw, I am certain that Clawson doesn't give a F, if his decision might be second guessed).

By the start of the 2017 season, it was pretty obvious that Wolford should be the starter. Hinton was putting up really poor numbers all spring and fall, and Wolford was coming off the nice performance in the bowl game before being injured.

During 2016 early year when Wolford was terrible, it was certainly debatable that Hinton gave us the best chance to win. However, that became irrelevant when he was out for the year after 3 quarters of play.

Newman's game against State was the best QB performance of the season

He also has the superior physical profile

Clawson has earned the benefit of the doubt on his decision, but I'm hoping State-game Newman is the QB we have this year

Nah. His performance vs Memphis was insane statistically. 419 total yards and 4 TDs.

By the start of the 2017 season, it was pretty obvious that Wolford should be the starter. Hinton was putting up really poor numbers all spring and fall, and Wolford was coming off the nice performance in the bowl game before being injured.

During 2016 early year when Wolford was terrible, it was certainly debatable that Hinton gave us the best chance to win. However, that became irrelevant when he was out for the year after 3 quarters of play.

Actually, to be a bit nitpicky, Hinton was only supposed to be out a game or two, and then the injury never healed enough and became a sort of weird lingering issue. Because redshirt rules were different in 2016 than they are now, the decision was made in about game 8 or 9 to shelve Hinton for the rest of the year to maintain a 6th year, which has proven to be super valuable to both Hinton and Wake. Hinton is playing for a training camp invitation next year as a practice squad slot receiver and/or punt/kickoff returner. He wouldn't have that opportunity if he'd have played a few more games in 2016.

I love Clawson as well, but it's not like he's some football coaching Jesus that's beyond reproach. He was far too conservative offensively in early 2017 (lost us the FSU game), far too up-temp offensively in early 2018, and made a horrible D coordinator hire. However, one of my favorite parts about Clawson is that he remedied all of those missteps within the same season, leading to much greater success. A certain beloved previous coach would never have done that.

I love Clawson as well, but it's not like he's some football coaching Jesus that's beyond reproach. He was far too conservative offensively in early 2017 (lost us the FSU game), far too up-temp offensively in early 2018, and made a horrible D coordinator hire. However, one of my favorite parts about Clawson is that he remedied all of those missteps within the same season, leading to much greater success. A certain beloved previous coach would never have done that.

You mean like when we decided to try and run some form of an option attack for half of the 2013 season that ended up costing us a a bowl game and ultimately ended the Grobe era?

the all-time great Lobo-era overthinking move was when Richard Belton would line up as the boundary WR

giphy.gif

the all-time great Lobo-era overthinking move was when Richard Belton would line up as the boundary WR

I remember this especially being Rinfrette, but maybe Belton too. So painful. Also, the rain game in Miami where we threw the ball 7 times total. They were completely unwilling/unable to adapt.

Not sure what the Klan reference is.

Hinton came in relief in one game and made some plays and then was injured for the season early in the next game. Wolford looked really good in the bowl game too and outplayed Hinton during spring putting up impressive stats. I don't think that is comparable to Newman winning 3 of 4 games (all away from home) against top 50 competition while Hartman's best win was against either Louisville or Tulane.

Klan reference:

With the way last season played out, the only reason somebody believes that a healthy Hartman should start over a healthy Newman is because they are a Klan member.

There, I said it.

I was totally wrong. This coaching staff is, apparently, one that predetermines QB battles. ... Also, let's all take a moment to appreciate a story that loops in Tyler C, Wolford, Hinton and Newman in the first four grafs.

Rinfrette too

not many dudes have lined up out wide and played LB in their college career

Nah. His performance vs Memphis was insane statistically. 419 total yards and 4 TDs.

Yep. This fanbase and these boards have been through plenty of QB controversies. We are not having a QB controversy. This is only a controversy if Newman isn’t named the starter.

Yep. This fanbase and these boards have been through plenty of QB controversies. We are not having a QB controversy. This is only a controversy if Newman isn’t named the starter.

There will only be a controversy if whomever plays QB underperforms and the team underperforms. Clawson could name Tayvon Bowers or Michael Kern the starter and if they played well and if the team outplayed expectations (e.g., 9-0 heading into Clemson), there would be no controversy. If Newman starts, plays poorly and WF is struggling, we will have a QB controversy, regardless of how he looked against Memphis last January.

You mean like when we decided to try and run some form of an option attack for half of the 2013 season that ended up costing us a a bowl game and ultimately ended the Grobe era?

We only needed Jamelle Holloway to make that work.

There will only be a controversy if whomever plays QB underperforms and the team underperforms. Clawson could name Tayvon Bowers or Michael Kern the starter and if they played well and if the team outplayed expectations (e.g., 9-0 heading into Clemson), there would be no controversy. If Newman starts, plays poorly and WF is struggling, we will have a QB controversy, regardless of how he looked against Memphis last January.

Pilch, at the end there you just describe at least 1/2 of the history of WF football. Sounds as if its a coin toss whether we have a real QB "controversy." Lots of ink is poured around real QB controversies and this board is doing a helluva job inking a mini QB controversy. Go Deacs and may the best man win! Should be NewMan barring injury or a mental letdown.

Sure. But this is the offseason. And it’s nothing like the offseasons were we debating Wolford vs Hinton or Randolph vs Mauk or McPherson vs Leak or even pre-boards Rusty vs. Kuklick. And beyond that, we’ve had plenty of offseason debates about whether or not the clear starter was any good.

Even though Clawson, Conor, and Les are treating this like a QB competition, the boards clearly are not.

Sometimes this thread seems like a bunch of 13 year old girls arguing about who's boyfriend is cutest.

My gosh, I can't wait for the season to start, or at least practice, so we can discuss real things are happening.

Back