• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

Newman not starting would be crazy. He has an NFL type body and the 3 wins in his 4 starts against that level of competition was impressive.

In Clawson's offense, where the QB runs, having a big durable guy like that is such a huge plus. Sam has a bright future, but it would be in his best interest to redshirt if it works out that way.

You're right Chris. I hadn't thought about any of that. I am sure saying that now, on July 24, when the team has about 20 practices scheduled for fall camp that will actually determine the starter, relegates the next four weeks meaningless.

It's a shame Wake isn't a public university, or you could state your case to be the OC instead of Warren Ruggiero.

I want Newman to start but I trust Clawson 100%. Wolford qualified as a “gym rat” and I’ll take upperclassman Wolford every day of the week.

You're right Chris. I hadn't thought about any of that. I am sure saying that now, on July 24, when the team has about 20 practices scheduled for fall camp that will actually determine the starter, relegates the next four weeks meaningless.

It's a shame Wake isn't a public university, or you could state your case to be the OC instead of Warren Ruggiero.

Way to overreact. That’ll drive up readership.

I kinda like salty Conor. Better than the milk toast country club blandness we get from AD and Stan. I say he fully participates in all board activities which includes bickering, healthy sarcasm, and being outraged

I know this might come as a shock, but every comment on this board isn't directed at you. I was just giving my opinion as to who gives us the best chance to win.

I think Clawson and co have a pretty good idea at this point who the starter will be.

There are plenty of college teams right now that have a starter penciled in. Why is it beyond the pale to assume that Wake wouldn't be the same?

One thing is for sure. If Hartman is the starter, he better win. The coaching staff would look pretty dumb if Hartman doesn't win and Newman replaces him next year again with better results.

Last edited:
I think Clawson wants intense competition for the QB position. But I suspect he has already made his choice unless something drastic happens in Fall practice.

Newman not starting would be crazy. He has an NFL type body and the 3 wins in his 4 starts against that level of competition was impressive.

In Clawson's offense, where the QB runs, having a big durable guy like that is such a huge plus. Sam has a bright future, but it would be in his best interest to redshirt if it works out that way.

Newman has a statistical edge without the benefit of Tulane, Towson, and Rice.

Hartman - 4.1 yds per rush (gains only)
Newman - 4.8 yds per rush (gains only)

Hartman - 55.3% comp
Newman - 59.6% comp

Hartman - 6.8 yards per attempt
Newman - 7.7 yards per attempt

With the way last season played out, the only reason somebody believes that a healthy Hartman should start over a healthy Newman is because they are a Klan member.

There, I said it.

You earned three social justice points today for that post. Just twelve more points and you'll gain woke status!

Lighten up Conor

Both guys are good enough to start, let the competition play itself out, the coaches have more insight than all of us and will make the best decision for the team.

Wow!! There's a novel idea. Maybe the coaches, who actually get to see the players practice, have a better idea than internet trolls on who should start.

I'm fully in the Newman camp, as is every non-boards Wake fan I've talked to. Hartman struggled in every game against decent/good competition. Newman excelled in 3/4 games vs. bowl teams, including one of the biggest victories in WF history. Of course practice/training camp is important, but game tape is far more important.

I kinda like salty Conor. Better than the milk toast country club blandness we get from AD and Stan. I say he fully participates in all board activities which includes bickering, healthy sarcasm, and being outraged

If you'll allow me to slide on the bickering (for the most part), I've got plenty of sarcasm and rage to discharge.

I know this might come as a shock, but every comment on this board isn't directed at you. I was just giving my opinion as to who gives us the best chance to win.

I think Clawson and co have a pretty good idea at this point who the starter will be.

There are plenty of college teams right now that have a starter penciled in. Why is it beyond the pale to assume that Wake wouldn't be the same?

One thing is for sure. If Hartman is the starter, he better win. The coaching staff would look pretty dumb if Hartman doesn't win and Newman replaces him next year again with better results.

No shock. Was actually happy the post about Klan members wasn't directed at me.

You can certainly state opinions. But the topic has come up on here about twice a month since spring practices ended that Jamie earned the right to start because of how he played at the end of the season. It's frustrating to see it continue to pop up because it's already been discussed ad nauseum. If this coaching staff was one to predetermine starters based on the previous season, Kendall Hinton starts in 2017. Maybe Clawson has lied to us every time he's said the QBs will be evaluated and in competition right up until game prep starts for Utah State, and the only thing that would change that is an injury.

Anyway, it's been a long summer. You're absolutely correct on your last graf.

I'm a big fan of Hartman. That guy is a straight gamer that has every throw in his bag, but the amateur eye test and the statistics say Newman is the guy.

Hopefully they push each other and both come out better because of the competition.

Lighten up Conor

So Conor can’t be sarcastic/salty like 100% of the posters on this board because he writes for a journal unassociated with this board? Take the stick outta yalls asses, Conor is a beast and spits facts.

Les, you’re cool too. Need more sarcasm from you tho.

Newman played better than Hartman last year no question

the offense also made more sense - we did not go super fast tempo as often with Newman as we did with Hartman

at times, the offense with Hartman seemed destined for failure - you're asking a true freshman to take a hit from Clelin Ferrell and 8 seconds later correctly read the read-option; while this is a learning opportunity, it's not going to bring success on the day

for many reasons (QB play and defensive depth being #1 and #1a on the list), I hope we continue to be judicious with tempo this fall

Conor is dead on.

Most likely all coaches are insistent on guys playing up to their potential in practice in order to earn snaps, but Clawson is REALLY insistent in that regards. Most definitely starters who have experience who get injured get their spot back - but they seem to have to "earn" it back in practice by being a full participant in the week prior to a game.

The same will hold true at QB - probably even more so - even if Newman is 1a going into August, he is going to have continue to perform at a high level in practice and scrimmages - and stay healthy. The only guarantee we can make is that whoever starts against Utah State will be fully healthy on game day and completed a full week of practice leading up to that game. The only exception will be if both Sam and Jamie are hurt in August.

The only reason Sam started Game 1 last year was because Newman did get hurt in August. He wasn't healthy enough for Clawson to even be our #2 until several weeks into the season.

Agree this has been discussed ad nauseum.

We know the variables in the QB discussion.

I am really curious how we shake out on the D-Line and with our safeties. We generally speaking have no idea the # of snaps guys are going to get on defense beyond about 4 or 5 players: Basham, Strnad, Bassey, and Henderson. Probably Kamara and Smenda as well. All these guys are likely to get 70% + of defensive snaps, assuming a close game. Beyond that??? Does Tyler Williams start? If so, does he split snaps with Bergan? How many snaps does McCollum get behind Walker? Is his redshirt status dead? Assuming healthy? How many snaps does Mike Allen get? What about JaSir and Coby Davis? Does Greer move ahead of Masterson? Not alot of questions about who plays on defense, but who plays more is generally completely up in the air beyond 4 or 5 guys ...

Seem to remember a majority here advocating for Hinton over Wolford, and then Wolford led WF to the best offensive season in school history in 2017.

More than any coach at WF in my memory, every decision that Clawson makes is a reasoned decision to maximize the likelihood of victory. Whomever starts (and I expect it to be Newman) will be the QB that Clawson has determined makes it more likely to win this season. Yes, last year, Newman outplayed Hartman, but this isn't 2018 any more. Have total confidence that Clawson will make the right decision (btw, I am certain that Clawson doesn't give a F, if his decision might be second guessed).

Back