• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

To change subject a little: I haven't seen this quote from Strnad about Clawson discussed, but I think it's interesting:

Strnad: “I wasn’t surprised that he signed that long-term extension. I know that during my sophomore season, I would give him some grief asking what would happen if a bigger school like Notre Dame started calling. He told me then that he loves it here. I truly believe that when he says it. His daughter goes to school at Davidson. He’s got everybody here and he truly loves coming to work at Wake Forest every day. I think it would take a pretty crazy offer to get him to leave.”

Props to Les for the interviews and encourage people to sign up with him.

DC is doing exactly what he should Why would he name a started after spring ball and give the other QB a chance to transfer? Both have proved they can play at this level, so why take a chance. just like Saban last year.

DC is doing exactly what he should Why would he name a started after spring ball and give the other QB a chance to transfer? Both have proved they can play at this level, so why take a chance. just like Saban last year.

Na, Clawson would actually tell the other guy that there’s no chance in hell they start, if that was the case.

Clawson has an open mind; after 2016 (??), Hinton was the starter going into spring/fall and Wolford just out-performed Hinton.

I think Newman (like Hinton) enters the fall with an edge, but that doesn’t mean Hartman won’t out-perform Newman.

For the record, I think Newman is our starter and wins the Heisman this year.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/c...n_69ce54d8-4f8b-51d2-a2aa-e59d61a9d3c6.html#1
Maybe Tom Petty was right. Maybe the waiting really is the hardest part.
Wake Forest’s first practice is Aug. 1. It’s felt like a year since the Deacons wrapped up spring practices, but finally the season is around the corner. Soon enough, there will be fall camp stories flowing — the best part of Wake Forest’s willingness to allow media members access to its practices.
In the meantime, we’ve got to pass the time.
So here are the Deacons I think are the most important — note, that’s not “best,” but most-vital to the team — this season.
T-1. QB Jamie Newman, Sam Hartman

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...-2019-college-football-133362995/#133362995_1

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...-Returning-Production--133715417/#133715417_1
NO. 10 - JAQUARII ROBERSON
Jaquarii Roberson took full advantage of his limited opportunities last season as a redshirt freshman backup slot receiver, bringing in seven catches for 74 yards while on the field for just 162 snaps. He had three catches in the road loss at Florida State, and earned the start in the Birmingham Bowl win over Memphis with Greg Dortch out with an injury. He's set to split time in 2019 at slot with returning senior Kendall Hinton.

So, I was listening to the college football channel on Sirius/XM this morning as I was driving into work. Matt Fortuna covers the PAC12, Big10 and ACC for them. After a bunch of hand-wringing and making excuses for the PAC12, they discussed the ACC. They said the big question was who of the other 14 teams was going to finish 2nd after Clemson. He, of course discussed Syracuse after their big year last year but expressed some doubt. Then he mentioned Florida State and that if they get their act together, they have the raw talent to take the 2nd spot. Then I nearly ran off the road when he said that Wake Forest could very well take that spot. He said we have a lot of experienced talent returning and that Clawson is a great coach and with the stability in the staff that we were a threat to have a great year! He did not mention any other teams. I looked him up when I got to work and he is a Notre Dame guy, so not a WFU homer. I guess a few people just do know!

The weekend anchor of the Chevrolet Sports Night on Spectrum also likes the Deacs as next best to Clem's son. That's two in the know! :thumbsup:

Na, Clawson would actually tell the other guy that there’s no chance in hell they start, if that was the case.

Clawson has an open mind; after 2016 (??), Hinton was the starter going into spring/fall and Wolford just out-performed Hinton.

I think Newman (like Hinton) enters the fall with an edge, but that doesn’t mean Hartman won’t out-perform Newman.

For the record, I think Newman is our starter and wins the Heisman this year.

I'm not saying Hartman or Newman doesn't have a chance. I'm just saying there is no reason for DC to pick a starter and take the chance that someone will get pissed and start looking elsewhere. It is better to just split reps and get both of them ready to play (which will will probably need at some point), then pick after fall camp. The Saban analogy was probably not the best - Tua took over and won the NC game. Everyone knew he was going to be the starter.

So, I was listening to the college football channel on Sirius/XM this morning as I was driving into work. Matt Fortuna covers the PAC12, Big10 and ACC for them. After a bunch of hand-wringing and making excuses for the PAC12, they discussed the ACC. They said the big question was who of the other 14 teams was going to finish 2nd after Clemson. He, of course discussed Syracuse after their big year last year but expressed some doubt. Then he mentioned Florida State and that if they get their act together, they have the raw talent to take the 2nd spot. Then I nearly ran off the road when he said that Wake Forest could very well take that spot. He said we have a lot of experienced talent returning and that Clawson is a great coach and with the stability in the staff that we were a threat to have a great year! He did not mention any other teams. I looked him up when I got to work and he is a Notre Dame guy, so not a WFU homer. I guess a few people just do know!

Wow, not everyone plays to the schools with the large fan bases.

https://247sports.com/college/wake-...Championship-ACC-Kickoff-QA-Part-4-133935396/
On the impact of noise inside BB&T Field
Strnad: “When we have the big games, on third down it becomes big. The crowd going crazy, the quarterback might need to check down. One miscommunication could change the game. When we took on NC State, and every time we play Florida State and Clemson, it gets really loud. We need that more than ever this year. It’ll really help us on the defensive side of the ball. On defense, we need all the noise we can get.

Last edited:
Conor continues doing a great job producing content.

One clarification from Conor, the total players and ACC players listed for each award is the Watch Lists not the all-time winners, right?

Nick Sciba had one of the best freshman seasons we’ve ever seen at Wake.

It’s very possible Newman is the clear starter and he’s planning to redshirt Hartman and Clawson just isn’t telling anybody and that’s fine.

Last edited:
Conor continues doing a great job producing content.

One clarification from Conor, the total players and ACC players listed for each award is the Watch Lists not the all-time winners, right?

Nick Sciba had one of the best freshman seasons we’ve ever seen at Wake.

It’s very possible Newman is the clear starter and he’s planning to redshirt Hartman and Clawson just isn’t telling anybody and that’s fine.

Thanks Ph!

Yes, total players nominated and ACC players nominated are listed, not all-time winners or anything like that. Sorry it's not more clear, probably should be. Wanted to add context for how many players were nominated and put it in light of how many from ACC. Thought it was really interesting Bassey is seen as one of the four best DBs in the ACC (I think he is, just don't think that's a popular opinion) and Sciba is seen as one of the four best kickers. What cracks me up about Sciba's freshman season is that because State's kicking situation was so abysmal for so long, then in comes Christopher Dunn, he's seen as the best freshman kicker last season and Sciba's numbers sometimes get lost, I think.

Also yes, possible that's what Clawson is doing.

I think Clawson is very simply operating as a smart coach would under similar circumstances. And some are smarter than others we know. He really can’t intelligently declare a starter at QB in advance of Fall practice without risking having to change his mind after Fall practice performances. Smart guys work to reduce their risk while maximizing their potential gain.

Even if Newman is the clear starter (and I would like to see him start given his performance at the end of last season), the only way that Hartman redshirts is a completely healthy season for Newman. Hartman is a clear #2 at worst, so you need his level of readiness to come into a game.

Sure. And I assume he will get #2 practice reps unless he’s the #1. The plan is for both QBs to stay healthy.

Back