• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

The 22 starters will be determined by how they prepare for the challenges of this season. If a player who is expected get bigger, faster or stronger and doesn't will be placed lower on the depth chart. We'll only know this when camp starts and we build a team to beat USU, UNC and Rice.

Thanks Ph!

Yes, total players nominated and ACC players nominated are listed, not all-time winners or anything like that. Sorry it's not more clear, probably should be. Wanted to add context for how many players were nominated and put it in light of how many from ACC. Thought it was really interesting Bassey is seen as one of the four best DBs in the ACC (I think he is, just don't think that's a popular opinion) and Sciba is seen as one of the four best kickers. What cracks me up about Sciba's freshman season is that because State's kicking situation was so abysmal for so long, then in comes Christopher Dunn, he's seen as the best freshman kicker last season and Sciba's numbers sometimes get lost, I think.

Also yes, possible that's what Clawson is doing.

Between Dunn, Sciba, and the kid from Cuse the ACC will have 3 of the top kickers in the country for the next 3 years.

how has Mora looked and who is the backup punter?

roster only lists Maggio as a punter, though Mora was highly regarded at both PK and P.

hopefully a non-issue, but gotta assume Clawson will keep Mora within the four game redshirt limit

how has Mora looked and who is the backup punter?

roster only lists Maggio as a punter, though Mora was highly regarded at both PK and P.

hopefully a non-issue, but gotta assume Clawson will keep Mora within the four game redshirt limit

We'll know a lot more about Mora after camp opens Thursday, but yes, my guess is that he's the backup punter.

From watching him in high school I think Mora could be the back up in all the kicking duties.

From watching him in high school I think Mora could be the back up in all the kicking duties.

Good to know, he'll certainly be involved. Honestly think if he comes in and is the best on kickoffs, he won't redshirt.

Would point out, though, that Zach Murphy came thisclose to beating out Sciba last year. Mora will have to be really good to be the No. 2 kicker, or Murphy will have to slide back.

Good to know, he'll certainly be involved. Honestly think if he comes in and is the best on kickoffs, he won't redshirt.

Would point out, though, that Zach Murphy came thisclose to beating out Sciba last year. Mora will have to be really good to be the No. 2 kicker, or Murphy will have to slide back.

He can consistently kick it into the end zone.

I think we start off 4-0....Finish 3-5...Make a mid-level bowl and win it to finish the season 8-5

I'm cautiously optimistic and think we go 8-4 regular season. All of this is prefaced on winning the first game against a Utah State team that is scary and (as we all know) getting a lot of hype.

4-0 after the first four, including a glorious night on ESPN against UNC. We take the L at BC. We beat UL and one of FSU NCSU. 6-2 going into the last four games. We beat Dook, and one of VT or Cuse. Both of the latter are on the road. VT is a tough environment but not very good, Cuse takes a step back next year on offense. 8-4, go to a bowl game somewhere warm.

Dream would be if we could get to 4-1 (or better) in the ACC going to Clemson. Shock the world there, and who knows !

Interesting to add Jim Hofher as a defensive analyst when it appears he has spent a majority of his time as an offensive assistant or head coach. Don't see any experience as a defensive coach, but I guess 41 tears of experience is enough.

Hopefully this isn't too derailing to current discussion, but if you haven't already, check out Ethan Joyce's work on coaching changes when coaches jump from G5 to P5 schools. Fascinating stuff when you think about how assistants can lose jobs after helping teams to historic seasons.

Here's the story with more of a Clawson focus.

Interesting to add Jim Hofher as a defensive analyst when it appears he has spent a majority of his time as an offensive assistant or head coach. Don't see any experience as a defensive coach, but I guess 41 tears of experience is enough.

He could be analyzing the 12 offenses we'll be facing for the defense to counter. I think his perspective will be appreciated.

I'm cautiously optimistic and think we go 8-4 regular season. All of this is prefaced on winning the first game against a Utah State team that is scary and (as we all know) getting a lot of hype.

4-0 after the first four, including a glorious night on ESPN against UNC. We take the L at BC. We beat UL and one of FSU NCSU. 6-2 going into the last four games. We beat Dook, and one of VT or Cuse. Both of the latter are on the road. VT is a tough environment but not very good, Cuse takes a step back next year on offense. 8-4, go to a bowl game somewhere warm.

My biggest concern over the Duke and Cuse games are that we play them right after we play Clemson. They are so physical and will be a huge test of our depth. Duke's whole season could get derailed because they play Alabama in the opener. That also could be a saving grace for us because Duke also plays Notre Dame then Syracuse before they play us.

Had an interesting conversation with a guy who has some ties to the Duke program. He said they didn't expect a huge drop off from Daniel Jones to Quentin Harris....not because Harris was anywhere as good, but that they didn't utilize Jones to the best of his abilities. He threw so many dump off passes (as instructed) to get away from the pass rush or take the easy yards and didn't throw it down field often. I didn't follow them closely so don't know how accurate that is but was interesting to hear.

My biggest concern over the Duke and Cuse games are that we play them right after we play Clemson. They are so physical and will be a huge test of our depth. Duke's whole season could get derailed because they play Alabama in the opener. That also could be a saving grace for us because Duke also plays Notre Dame then Syracuse before they play us.

Had an interesting conversation with a guy who has some ties to the Duke program. He said they didn't expect a huge drop off from Daniel Jones to Quentin Harris....not because Harris was anywhere as good, but that they didn't utilize Jones to the best of his abilities. He threw so many dump off passes (as instructed) to get away from the pass rush or take the easy yards and didn't throw it down field often. I didn't follow them closely so don't know how accurate that is but was interesting to hear.

No drop off from Jones huh? Well I guess I'd be fine with another 52-point margin of victory.

Even if Newman is the clear starter (and I would like to see him start given his performance at the end of last season), the only way that Hartman redshirts is a completely healthy season for Newman. Hartman is a clear #2 at worst, so you need his level of readiness to come into a game.

Whomever isn't the starter can still redshirt, as long has he doesn't play in more than four games. Correct?

Back