• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread - Will the Zags Go Unbeaten?

Syracuse is so strange. Seems like every other year they have a mediocre team on the bubble, make the tourney and win at least 2 games. Hell, they went to 2 final-4s that way in the last decade. But I was happy to see them beat Thuggy Bear and his ugly ass mullet. That said, whoever is playing them next should press them.

Realize that he's a curmudgeon and a pain-in-the arse, but Boeheim has taken 21 teams to the Sweet 16. That's more than almost every school. Also, Boeheim has taken 3 teams to the Sweet 16 or father that were seeded #10 or below in the last 5 tournaments. Crazy.

The backcourt of Suggs and Nemhard is unbelievable on both ends. Plus, they have great size.

Where does Gonzaga find this succession of ridiculously goofy looking white guys? Not sure anyone will touch Adam Morrison but this Timme guy looks like a 40 year old try-hard at the local Y and he’s sporting a fu Manchu to boot.

the last time an NCAA tournament was played without any of the 4 Big Four teams present in the second round was 1976.

Realize Cuse turned it up, but SDSU's offensive "plan" against Cuse was pathetic. pass around the perimeter and hoist a terrible shot. again and again and again.

About to be nine conferences represented in the Sweet 16.

The Big Ten is not yet one of them.

The odds on that before the tourney started are unfathomable

Not sure if this is rooted in reality or not, but doesn't it feel like the Tournament games thus far have featured a lot of blood? It seems like every single game has featured two or three play stoppages to allow for the cutman to come in.

the last time an NCAA tournament was played without any of the 4 Big Four teams present in the second round was 1976.

Realize Cuse turned it up, but SDSU's offensive "plan" against Cuse was pathetic. pass around the perimeter and hoist a terrible shot. again and again and again.

It took me a minute to think of what you meant by big 4 - hadn't heard that term in years. But if I remember correctly, there was only 1 ACC team in the tourney in some of those years, and 1976 was the year UVA won from last place. Then a few years later, they started increasing the field.

I think the deal with Syracuse is we're used to playing them in the ACC and solve their zone a little easier than teams who don't play against them but once every decade or so. UVA doesn't have much of a problem with their zone - they just had a problem with their press in the elite-8. And maybe that's why they've had such good tourney success. And for the record, I have nothing against Boeheim, maybe because I'm a curmudgeon too. He reminds me of Quintin Tarantino in interviews when he hears a question where he disagrees with the premise and can get bent out of shape. I was excited when they and VT joined the league, VT because I like VT and Syracuse because I could get to go watch Boeheim's teams play here every other year.

I grew up in upstate NY and have been hating the Orangemen for decades now.

It is funny to me that the narrative has shifted from Boeheim always underperforming and the 2-3 zone being the reason why they could never get over the hump in the NCAAs to now it is the specific reason why they win games in March.

I get the the 2-3 zone is a rarity, but it isn't a mystery. Would think that with the better part of a week to prepare, Houston should handle Syracuse.

It is funny to me that the narrative has shifted from Boeheim always underperforming and the 2-3 zone being the reason why they could never get over the hump in the NCAAs to now it is the specific reason why they win games in March.

I get the the 2-3 zone is a rarity, but it isn't a mystery. Would think that with the better part of a week to prepare, Houston should handle Syracuse.

Of all years, this year would make playing against the zone even more difficult.

Realize that he's a curmudgeon and a pain-in-the arse, but Boeheim has taken 21 teams to the Sweet 16. That's more than almost every school. Also, Boeheim has taken 3 teams to the Sweet 16 or father that were seeded #10 or below in the last 5 tournaments. Crazy.

It's the zone. Teams that don't face it regularly and don't have much time to scout and prepare for it (in the tourney) don't handle it well. That's it.

The matchup I want to see is Syracuse versus Loyola. About 18 years ago I was talking to a nun who was a 'Cuse graduate. She admitted "I can't stand Boeheim." To see Loyola and Sister Jean prevail would bring a great deal of pleasure to my former friend.

Is there a good reason why Abilene Christian College has a far better commercial than Wake Forest?

**asking for a friend.

Danny fucking Manning knew how to attack that zone. It ain’t rocket science.

(Syracuse beat him anyway because Manning couldn’t coach defense)

Danny fucking Manning knew how to attack that zone. It ain’t rocket science.

(Syracuse beat him anyway because Manning couldn’t coach defense)

Danny fucking Manning once said their game plan was to enter the ball to the corners and draw the trap, then pass out of it, apparently unaware that he had the worst-passing team in the country.

This seems like an appropriate time to ask how the fuck Will Wade is still allowed to coach college basketball.

It’s definitely a very 2021 thing that there is an official ETF of the NCAA tournament now (Invesco QQQ if you’ve got some excess capital).

Danny fucking Manning once said their game plan was to enter the ball to the corners and draw the trap, then pass out of it, apparently unaware that he had the worst-passing team in the country.

you’ve got to be shitting me. don’t remember him saying this, but 100% sounds like something he would say.

Back