• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers - New Season New Thread for 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds like we're interviewing a lot of candidates. seen people from the Niners, Chiefs, Pats, Jerry Reese and others

Eagles might go QB as well. I'm 95% sure that Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson will be gone by 8. I honestly think Lance might be gone as well.

Disagree with your 1st sentence (Phi takes Parsons or 1 of the 2 WRs) and agree with the 2nd 2. The top 4 QBs, Sewell, Parsons, Chase and Smith are the 1st 8 off the board. I also see Cincy as the team who will look to trade back. They already have a QB and a nice set of WRs. They could get a pretty good bounty moving back to 12 or 14, and they have lots of holes to fill. The other thing you might be able to do if the 4 QBs are off the board when you're at #8 is maybe trade for Darnold, assuming NYJ don't trade him before the draft.

Eagles might go QB as well. I'm 95% sure that Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson will be gone by 8. I honestly think Lance might be gone as well.

If Philly takes a QB, I’m fine offering a 3rd and 5th for Hurts.

The worst thing would be to reach for a QB at 8 instead of taking a great player at another position preferably MLB or CB.

hurts sucks

it's a 4 QB draft: Trevor, Fields, Wilson and Lance

we'll be able to get one of them

worst case is we get Parsons and get to watch him and Chinn dominate for a decade with Luke's mentorship

Yeah Hurts ain't it either. I'm fine with Lance or Wilson at 8 if they fall there but I don't want to be paying draft picks for recycled QBs (Hurts, Darnold, etc.)

Maybe plan A is to get a run on QBs in front of us, draft Parsons, unretire Kuechly, then hold every team to under 13 points a game. If Teddy can complete 2 drives a game, we win.

Hurts blows.

If the Panthers draft Lance, I'm done with pro football.

gonna sound crazy, but is miami sold on tua? any chance they take a qb at 3?

If Philly takes a QB, I’m fine offering a 3rd and 5th for Hurts.

The worst thing would be to reach for a QB at 8 instead of taking a great player at another position preferably MLB or CB.

Agree with this.

gonna sound crazy, but is miami sold on tua? any chance they take a qb at 3?

Nah. Tua has looked good and bad - typical for a rookie. He looked good early on but has been reticent recently. They'll probably stick with him and Fitzmagic for another year or so. They're not going to give up on him unless he hasn't progressed by year 3. That's when you have to decide whether to pick up the 5th year optioin.

so if we don't take a QB in the first, are we hoping that we can get a later round guy to pan out, keeping hoping Teddy works or try to sign a FA? I would guess the assumption is this is the lowest we'll pick for a few years, so would make us reaching even more next year or after.

Parsons, Shaq, Chinn would be dominant enough behind our D line. An upgrade at corner and you have a top tier NFL defense. I'd rather run the offense through CMC and allow Bridgewater to be a real game manager than take a risk on a QB other than Fields. But if we do, I've come to prefer Lance over Wilson or Jones.

I personally think we go Lance and sit him behind Teddy for a year. His contract was designed for that exact process, I think we stick with it. I do think there's an outside chance that we trade up to #3 IF the Jets pass on Fields, but I don't see that happening. If Fields, Wilson, and Lance all go before pick #8, we take Parsons or the CB from Alabama

Parsons, Shaq, Chinn would be dominant enough behind our D line. An upgrade at corner and you have a top tier NFL defense. I'd rather run the offense through CMC and allow Bridgewater to be a real game manager than take a risk on a QB other than Fields. But if we do, I've come to prefer Lance over Wilson or Jones.

Wilson is the real deal - we'd take him in a heartbeat at #8

hell - wilson slipping to #8 isn't as crazy as Derrick Brown slipping to #7 last year

He’s been demonstratively worse since coming back from injury.

I'm talking about his injury this season. The last few games. I was for sticking with Teddy a month ago. Now I'm 50-50 between taking a QB in the first or not. I'll probably get to 80-20 if this keeps up.

Nice effort in the second. I'm really encouraged by how good the defense can be for a quarter or two at a time. I feel like experience will help that happen over entire games.

Curtis Samuel probably cost himself a few FA dollars today. He looked awful.

I feel like these statements have been justified.

https://www.nfl.com/news/matt-rhule-says-teddy-bridgewater-has-to-have-a-tremendous-offseason

Matt Rhule put Teddy Bridgewater on notice with a Week 17 benching.

On Monday, the Carolina Panthers coach reiterated he needs to see more out of the quarterback heading into 2021 and did not rule out selecting a QB in the draft this year.

"Teddy has to have a tremendous offseason,'' Rhule said, via David Newton of ESPN.

Rhule noted that Bridgewater's play trended downward after he got hurt in Week 10.

"Ever since he got hurt in the second half of the Tampa Bay game, Teddy hasn't played his best football," Rhule said, per Bill Voth of the team's official website. "My encouragement to him has been, 'Hey, you've got to have a great offseason.'"

Since Week 10, Bridgewater completed 62.96 percent of his passes, averaged 236.2 yards per game, threw four INTs to just two TDs, took 12 sacks, and earned a passer rating of 78.8 in five games. In the first 10 games of the season, he averaged 255 yards per game, completed 72.12 percent of his passes with 13 TDs, 7 INTs, took 19 sacks, and had a passer rating of 98.7.

Teddy was a firmly above average QB before his injury. He's been demonstratively worse since.

Full quote from Rhule here:
https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41106171-4

i mean........... that sounds like rhule is ready to draft a QB

"This is my team and I'm going to continue to conduct myself that way."

Ok Teddy. Maybe have a successful game winning drive for "your team."

I can see Tepper and Rhule ready to trade up

Based on the draft trade value chart, we'd need to give up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to move up to #3. I assume this year's 1st, 3rd, a late round pick, and next year's 1st would do the trick as well.

To move up to #2, we'd need to give up the whole draft.

i mean........... that sounds like rhule is ready to draft a QB

Yeah, and this is the time and place. Assuming Fields against Bama is any resemblance of the guy who beat Dabo and not the guy who couldn't hit a pig's ass with a banjo against NWern, I don't think the NYJ pass on him. That would be a hard sell to their fans. I think the question is whether Rhule and your new GM develop a serious preference between Wilson and Lance. If you're cool with Lance, I think you get him at #8. If you like Wilson a bunch more, you'll have to jump Detroit and go to #5 or 6, which is way less expensive than moving to #3. Plus, we're all assuming Miami stays put and gladly takes Sewell. Of the 2, Lance is the way better runner, but Wilson is a more developed passer at this point and more ready to play next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back