• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers - New Season New Thread for 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
This interview with Panthers' director of player negotiations and salary cap manager Samir Suleiman strongly suggests that we're going to try to resign Moton and let Samuel go.
https://www.panthers.com/news/taylor-moton-curtis-samuel-salary-cap-decisions-2021

The team has two premier free agents atop next year's class of unrestricted free agents — right tackle Taylor Moton and wide receiver Curtis Samuel — and Suleiman was frank when asked about their futures.

"It would definitely be difficult to retain both of them, with the cap situation being what it is," he said.

The salary cap likely isn't going up, so having a lot of players on rookie deals helps. The write-up also points out that having a solid starting QB on a decent contract with two cheap backups is a good situation as well.

In other news, CMC has a new quad injury. The COVID outbreak was due to a bye week "gathering" and the team may lose a draft pick if there's another violation.
https://www.nfl.com/news/sills-pant...n-linked-to-players-gathering-outside-facilit

Teams committing over 10% of their cap space to the starting QB puts teams in cap bind. However, having a top QB is almost a necessity for getting deep in the playoffs. So GMs are between a rock and a hard place. Unless they have a top QB on a rookie deal.

it seems like we haven't had cap space in 15 years

we're still paying $9.8mm in dead cap space for matt kalil somehow

i don't understand the nfl cap - looks like we also have $9.6mm for trai turner and $4.7mm for luke....

I think this is the best cap year in a while in terms of space and lack of dead money, but there's not going to be an increase in the cap.

From the link above:

To paint with broad strokes, the Panthers are no longer in an awful cap situation. That was this year when they carried over $50 million in dead money (cap allocations for players no longer on the roster, including Matt Kalil, Trai Turner, Eric Reid, Greg Olsen, Dontari Poe, Cam Newton, and others). Heading into 2021, there's less than $10 million in dead money on the books, the remaining prorations of Luke Kuechly's ($7.1 million) and Graham Gano's ($1.5 million) contracts the only substantive portions.

"It'll be tight, but we're not in a position where we have to make cuts because of financial reasons," Suleiman said. "It'll be a clear-cut football decision if it happens."

As it stands at the moment, they have a little under $20 million worth of room, which puts them just under the midway point around the league in terms of space. That's not all spending money, as you have to allocate about half that amount for signing draft picks and accounting for in-season injuries and grievances.

It's room to work with, if not a luxurious amount. The Panthers can afford to do some things, if not all the things they might like to do at once.

And while the Panthers are in the middle of the pack in terms of 2021 cap room, some teams will have to make major moves to get into compliance by the start of the league year in March. If the salary cap stays at $175 million, the Saints will have to cut more than $90 million worth of space to even start the league year. That's the direst situation, but the Eagles (nearly $70 million), Falcons ($37 million), Steelers ($30 million), Packers ($24 million), Rams ($24 million), and Chiefs ($23 million) are also substantially over the cap already.

Saints always in a tough cap situation but always get past it while still signing big contracts and free agents

Yeah. Their capologist is a miracle worker every freaking year.

Yeah that's pretty absurd. I'm all for paying the guy (even though he elected to retire, was not deemed DQd medically to anyone's knowledge). But put in in some sort of annuity over 20 years at a decent interest rate.

Looks like CMC is out vs. Denver.

Fine, but weird that all of a sudden this year he’s become “injury prone” Don’t know if I really believe that but it might become a narrative

he supposedly tweaked his quad during a workout last week. dunno if they're just trying to keep him out to keep that tank full.

he supposedly tweaked his quad during a workout last week. dunno if they're just trying to keep him out to keep that tank full.

Yeah. This injury is suspicious.

Isn’t this exactly what we wanted/expected tho?

I know I was hoping to preserve CMC as much as possible until we had the players/system in place for a that can compete for 17 weeks

We’ve been tanking but the young defense resisted for about seven quarters.

Refresh my memory. Weren't folks on here upset that the Panthers let go of Newton? And expected him to be awesome with the Pats?

I was upset we drafted Will Grier in the 3rd round and signed Teddy B both as half measures before unceremoniously dumping Cam. I would have been happier a year ago with resigning Cam and drafting a QB of the future and letting them compete.

There’s an alternate realty where we resign Cam and traded up to draft Hebert or Tua and probably have benched Cam by now.

Plenty of arguments both ways for which one is better.

Sucks that it’s not working out for Cam with the Pats. Wednesday was the 6th anniversary of the truck crash. Dude survived a horrific accident and only missed one game. Then he proceeded to win the last two regular season games and wildcard game then have an MVP season and get to the Super Bowl. He will always be my quarterback. Love that guy.

Man, you get old overnight in the NFL. Cam just can't throw the ball anymore. He can still run though so I wonder if he would be more effective as a wildcat QB who gets 10 plays a game and some goal line situations. If its 3rd and 8 though, he's probably one of the worst QB's in the league right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back