• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The TV still said 4th and 1 even though the announcers said 1st down.

Was watching the game at the local bar and everyone just started laughing when Cam spiked it. The refs should have stopped the clock to measure that spot but I saw another view online where the marker was closer to the yard line than the yellow line showed on the broadcast - live on tv it was tough to tell if he got it but he was close.

I didn't understand why they didn't measure either. The whole thing went really fast. Initially I was worried that the announcers just had it wrong, but I don't think Cam would have spiked it without confirmation of the first on the field. Probably would have taken five minutes to sort out, but assuming they gave the first down we might have been better able to run our next play to gain some more yardage before the kick try. Obviously it all worked out, but I wonder what would have happened if we ran the spike play prematurely and the refs had been trying to measure.

I didn't understand why they didn't measure either. The whole thing went really fast. Initially I was worried that the announcers just had it wrong, but I don't think Cam would have spiked it without confirmation of the first on the field. Probably would have taken five minutes to sort out, but assuming they gave the first down we might have been better able to run our next play to gain some more yardage before the kick try. Obviously it all worked out, but I wonder what would have happened if we ran the spike play prematurely and the refs had been trying to measure.

Like I said, the refs called for the chains to be moved before the ball was ever spotted. Mistake or not, everyone in the stadium knew there would not be a measurement or stoppage of play, the chains were already moved. It was a routine spike to stop the clock.

Still doesn't change the terrible play call/time management but neither here nor there

Rivera had to know the fix was in once he got the unnecessary roughness call on the Funchize. When he called the run he probably assumed the refs were just going to give him a 4th timeout and/or 5th down. Why not?

Rivera had to know the fix was in once he got the unnecessary roughness call on the Funchize. When he called the run he probably assumed the refs were just going to give him a 4th timeout and/or 5th down. Why not?

lulz you think a game would be fixed for a team in Charlotte vs the team from NY? hell, we had one of the most controversial players in the league protesting yesterday.

Refs sucked and the Panthers were the beneficiary of the bulk of the calls but yeah there was no fix in.

if they had stopped it for a measurement the giants fans would be all pissed off about the clock stopping.

it occurred to me that perhaps the coaches thought there were two outcomes from that play: 1) stuffed close to the line, necessitating a stoppage for measurement; or 2) he busts a run and either gets out of bounds or is tackled in open field with plenty of time to get up for a spike. What actually happened was stuffed at the line with a big pile of players AND no measurement.

that's probably too much credit for what was just a dumb playcall.

Great game to watch. Not a big fan of either team, but admit that I was surprised as, while the Panthers won, felt the Giants outplayed the Panthers. The Giants o-line has been dominated all year, but in the 2nd half, the Panthers couldn't get to Manning. Also, felt like the Giants D-line out played the Panthers O-line. Not a good sign for the future. Positives for the Panthers: you can see that DJ Moore is a player; Cam finds a way more often than not.

I thought the Panthers looked sharp in the first half but the second half just couldn't get anything going at all. The first few drives the Giants couldn't get any pressure on Cam. I don't know why we didn't bring more blitzes against Eli. Having watched the bulk of their games over the last few years, he's absolutely worthless when you stack the box and get him on the move.

I mean, the Panthers don't win that game without the refs. It's ok to admit that.

Michael Strahan was bitching about the refs in the postgame too. Hey Michael, eff off.

I'm done forever apologizing on the rare occasions we get helped out by the officiating. In the net I'm sure as a franchise we're way down on that ledger

lulz you think a game would be fixed for a team in Charlotte vs the team from NY? hell, we had one of the most controversial players in the league protesting yesterday.

Exactly. Nobody even knows Eric Reid played in or protested at that game because all of the talk is about the horrific officiating. Exactly how the NFL wants it.

Great game to watch. Not a big fan of either team, but admit that I was surprised as, while the Panthers won, felt the Giants outplayed the Panthers. The Giants o-line has been dominated all year, but in the 2nd half, the Panthers couldn't get to Manning. Also, felt like the Giants D-line out played the Panthers O-line. Not a good sign for the future. Positives for the Panthers: you can see that DJ Moore is a player; Cam finds a way more often than not.

Uhh Panthers rushed for over 100+ and gave up 1 sack for 5 yards. Not sure how that's getting outplayed...

Not sure why people want to shit on Cam and give OBJ any sort of a pass. That dude is a POS.

I don't have a dog in this fight and was happy to see the Panthers win, but NYG scored 30+ points for the first time in two years (longest active drought in the NFL), and it was legit as the Giants gained 422 yards and averaged a hefty 8 yards per play. The Panthers averaged 5.2 per play and 3.8 per carry. The Giants offense was completely shutdown by the Saints and Cowboys recently; so, the Giants offensive production surprised me. I don't watch the Panthers as much as most that post here; so, my observations may be off, but yesterday's game seemed like a red flag to me. In the end, W-L only matters, and 4-1 is pretty good.

Exactly. Nobody even knows Eric Reid played in or protested at that game because all of the talk is about the horrific officiating. Exactly how the NFL wants it.

There was a lot to talk about after this game. Sure officiating was part, but the bigger stories were OBJ's performance and interview comments, the OBJ to Barkley play, and Gano's bomb to win at the gun. The general lack of ESPN headlines on Reid are kind of surprising I will say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back