• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clean house. All of it. Tepper should find a promising young GM and build from scratch. This should be an attractive roster to start with. There's a good mix of veterans on good contracts, talent to lock up, a few young promising players on rookie deals, and we should have a good draft pick.

QB: Possibly a healthy Cam, sign a solid backup QB to a team friendly deal, draft a QB as insurance.
RB: Lock up CMC, resign Armah when it's time.
WR: Keep Moore, Samuel, and Wright. Groom Dortch at PR/KR. Maybe draft a WR.
TE: Beg Greg to stay and figure out if Thomas is the successor.
OL: Stick with Trai, sign Moton, see if Little and Daley are long-term options.
DL: Go back to a 4-3. Sign McCoy if he would work well with KK. Stick with Addison. Figure out Burns.
LB: Whatever Luke wants to do
DB: Keep what we've got and draft a safety.

Clean house. All of it. Tepper should find a promising young GM and build from scratch. This should be an attractive roster to start with. There's a good mix of veterans on good contracts, talent to lock up, a few young promising players on rookie deals, and we should have a good draft pick.

QB: Possibly a healthy Cam, sign a solid backup QB to a team friendly deal, draft a QB as insurance.
DL: Go back to a 4-3. Sign McCoy if he would work well with KK. Stick with Addison. Figure out Burns.

I'm on board with most of this, except keeping Wright. We need a bigger WR to complement Moore and Samuel, and Wright has been lackluster this year to say the least.

Like a 3rd round QB?

Greg is done. Think the remaining games will be an Ian Thomas tryout.

I think the priority at WR depends on what Greg wants to do and what the new OC plans to do. Are we going to keep running 2 TE sets with Greg and Manhertz? 2 TE sets with Thomas and Manhertz if Greg retires? 3 WR and 1 pass catching TE with Thomas? or 3 WR with 1 blocking TE with Manhertz?

I think Moore is a legit #1. Samuel is probably a good #3 which is fine given that CMC is basically the #2 WR and Greg is still a reliable main target.

I'd love to get a big WR, but Wright, White, and whoever we can get off the street is probably sufficient if the OC keeps the same general 2 WR philosophy.

Last edited:
Agreed. He was out the door anyway. That hit he took Sunday sealed it.

How long till we can get Donavon Greene so we can talk about him incessantly ?

2019 Carolina Panthers Thread

Like a 3rd round QB?

Greg is done. Think the remaining games will be an Ian Thomas tryout.

No. A 1st round QB like I've been talking about for awhile now. Criticize my anger about picking Grier but things have worked out pretty much like I said they would.

No GM or owner will say that. But they should plan for it.

If Cam misses a few quarters or games from a potential playoff team, we will need CMC plus OL and the defense to win for us, not the backup QB. Is Grier really that much of an improvement on Kyle Allen?

A good starting S at 100 would contribute more to playoff chances than a backup QB.

I know somebody told me it would be dumb to draft a safety with Gaulden still on the roster. Sure would be nice to have a rookie safety now.

I'll use your own points:

"And, if Cam should happen to blow out his knee in August and miss the whole season, a third string rookie quarterback isn't going to save us from being terrible."

Exactly. If Cam is truly done for one reason or another, that's when we need to draft a QB and do it with a first round pick. Until then, we don't because whatever QB we draft (in this case Grier) isn't going to be the long term answer and isn't going to save a season.

"However, if Cam misses three games in the middle of the season, for whatever reason, Grier might be able to keep us in playoff contention till Cam comes back."

Any more than Kyle Allen or whoever? Doubtful. If you need a QB to hold down the fort for Cam, pay a veteran.

Allen showed himself to be a quality short term option and he should be a good backup in this league.

Which was why it was dumb to draft a QB. If Cam is done, just suck and get a QB in the 1st next year. We can’t expect Will Grier to save us.

It’s just a really poor way to address Cam’s shoulder issues. A 3rd round rookie isn’t going to be able to get to the playoffs or win if Cam gets injured during a playoff run. If Cam wasn’t ready at all, we would suck with Grier and be in a similar position to the Cards this year. The only way that move works is if Cam is done and Grier is a top rookie QB from day 1.

Picking Grier was such a bad move. Same with Scarlett. There was no way they were going to go with two rookies behind CMC. So why draft a RB? Backup RBs are probably the easiest position to get as a UFA. Just doesn't make sense to waste a draft pick on a position that's completely settled. Just bring in UFAs. Now Hurney forced himself to keep a 3rd QB and keep Scarlett over Holyfield.

Just on its face, we entered the draft with three chances to get potential starters in the 2nd and 3rd and Hurney limited it to one by trading up and getting a backup QB.

There’s a good article in CSR about the low quality of 3rd round QBs over the last several years and other reasons Grier was a bad pick.

Agreed. He was out the door anyway. That hit he took Sunday sealed it.

Good point. I didn't really watch until late and I didn't see the hit.

Last edited:
I think it being a concussion was big for Greg and his future. He's going to want to preserve things and not risk another few blows to the head. Feel like this year will be it. Maybe he'll go to the MNF booth.

I think FOX has the edge for Greg's services since he's called two games for them during bye weeks. Would love to get him doing Panthers games to make up for having to deal with Ronde.

Unfortunate that hit will probably be the last Greg ever suits up as a Panther, but I think he's retiring. He'll be great in the booth - they might send him to MNF right out of the gate

would be interesting to see if Charlotte remains his home base given all the work he's done for the children's hospital

Perry Fewell interim HC
Scott Turner OC
Norv special assistant to the HC

latest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back