• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
They didn't actually practice yesterday, just had to release an estimated practice report. But I'd expect Funch to play, if not that would be a huge loss.

Pretty funny how Funions has gone from a perceived waste of space (I wanted him to move to TE) to arguably our most productive offensive weapon, behind HOF Dixon of course. Still wish the Byrdman wasn't injured. We need a deep threat, and I don't think Samuel or Shep are going to be that dude out of the slot.

Pretty funny how Funions has gone from a perceived waste of space (I wanted him to move to TE) to arguably our most productive offensive weapon, behind HOF Dixon of course. Still wish the Byrdman wasn't injured. We need a deep threat, and I don't think Samuel or Shep are going to be that dude out of the slot.

Why did we draft Samuel if that's not his exact role?

Why did we draft Samuel if that's not his exact role?

I think he could develop into that role, but won't this year. In college he was a guy you wanted to get the ball in space and outrun the defense. The Percy Harvin comparison is applicable, especially in an Urban Meyer offense. He did catch a few deep balls (one against Nebraska comes to mind), but I don't really remember him having to showcase a lot of ball skills. He was way more likely to take a pop pass or quick slant for 50 yds than catch a bomb.

CMC gonna bust a 60 yarder on his 1st carry Thursday, and his average ypc will be 4.5. Boom, problem solved !!

So for those that think the Panthers wasted their No. 8 pick, who would you have preferred the Panthers take in that spot?

I mean discount anyone selected mid-second or lower, because they wouldn't have been an option at No. 8 anyway. So that leaves a maximum of 40 players, one of which was Samuel so really 39 players. No. 10 and 12 were QBs, so wouldn't have been picked. Picks 11, 16, 18, 27, 33 (R2P1), 43 and 46 were CBs and, considering the investment we made in CBs last year, most likely were not going to happen (although Lattimore would have been nice). Picks 13, 21, 30, 31 and 47 were LBs and wouldn't be starting, so I am guessing would also be drawing comments of a wasted pick. Thus, already we are down to 25 possible names.

Joe Mixon would never have been drafted by the Panthers and Dalvin Cook is already hurt, as is Malik McDowell. No. 9 pick has one catch on the year, No. 14 has 5 total tackles and isn't a starter, No. 15 has 9 total tackles and isn't a starter, No. 17 has 7 total tackles and 1 sack, No. 19 has four catches for 9 yards and isn't a starter. Evan Ingram, at No. 23 does have 19 catches, 200 yards and a touchdown, but would anyone have been happy with a TE not named O.J. Howard at No. 8? Or a TE period at No. 8 (which also eliminates No. 29, 44 & 45)? Jabrill Peppers has 21 tackles for the Browns, maybe people would have been happy with him, but if I recall correctly, 8 was a stretch for him and he was taken 25. No. 26 is a third-stringer. No. 28 is a second stringer with 2 tackles and No. 32 is also a second stringer. That does it for the first round and I am having a tough time coming up with a replacement for CMC.

Getting out of the first round and looking at those that are left in the top half of the second round, you have Cam Robinson at OT, who is a starter (I would have been happy with him, but possibly a reach at No. 8), Budda Baker (second string FS), Zay Jones (16 catches, 211 yards, no TDs), OG Forrest Lamp (torn ACL), FS Marcus Maye (14 tackles, 1 int) and FS Marcus Williams (second stringer).

What it boils down to is that it is way too early to make any decisions about any of these players. They are still adjusting to the NFL game and none, at least no one that we would have selected, have been very impressive.

Is CMC going to be a grind it out RB like Stewart? No. Was a grind it out RB like Stewart available at 8? No, at least not one that wouldn't have had fans howling about taking. Did the Panthers make the best selection in talent out of what was available? Time will tell, but the early returns suggest yes as CMC's stats thus far are better than anyone that wouldn't have been considered a major reach.

Last edited:
So for those that think the Panthers wasted their No. 8 pick, who would you have preferred the Panthers take in that spot?

I mean discount anyone selected mid-second or lower, because they wouldn't have been an option at No. 8 anyway. So that leaves a maximum of 40 players, one of which was Samuel so really 39 players. No. 10 and 12 were QBs, so wouldn't have been picked. Picks 11, 16, 18, 27, 33 (R2P1), 43 and 46 were CBs and, considering the investment we made in CBs last year, most likely were not going to happen (although Lattimore would have been nice). Picks 13, 21, 30, 31 and 47 were LBs and wouldn't be starting, so I am guessing would also be drawing comments of a wasted pick. Thus, already we are down to 25 possible names.

Joe Mixon would never have been drafted by the Panthers and Dalvin Cook is already hurt, as is Malik McDowell. No. 9 pick has one catch on the year, No. 14 has 5 total tackles and isn't a starter, No. 15 has 9 total tackles and isn't a starter, No. 17 has 7 total tackles and 1 sack, No. 19 has four catches for 9 yards and isn't a starter. Evan Ingram, at No. 23 does have 19 catches, 200 yards and a touchdown, but would anyone have been happy with a TE not named O.J. Howard at No. 8? Or a TE period at No. 8 (which also eliminates No. 29, 44 & 45)? Jabrill Peppers has 21 tackles for the Browns, maybe people would have been happy with him, but if I recall correctly, 8 was a stretch for him and he was taken 25. No. 26 is a third-stringer. No. 28 is a second stringer with 2 tackles and No. 32 is also a second stringer. That does it for the first round and I am having a tough time coming up with a replacement for CMC.

Getting out of the first round and looking at those that are left in the top half of the second round, you have Cam Robinson at OT, who is a starter (I would have been happy with him, but possibly a reach at No. 8), Budda Baker (second string FS), Zay Jones (16 catches, 211 yards, no TDs), OG Forrest Lamp (torn ACL), FS Marcus Maye (14 tackles, 1 int) and FS Marcus Williams (second stringer).

What it boils down to is that it is way too early to make any decisions about any of these players. They are still adjusting to the NFL game and none, at least no one that we would have selected, have been very impressive.

Is CMC going to be a grind it out RB like Stewart? No. Was a grind it out RB like Stewart available at 8? No, at least not one that wouldn't have had fans howling about taking. Did the Panthers make the best selection in talent out of what was available? Time will tell, but the early returns suggest yes as CMC's stats thus far are better than anyone that wouldn't have been considered a major reach.

You don't get it. What we should have done is packaged our first round pick with a couple of our other non performing picks and moved up in the draft to get a true impact player like Jamal Adams who was picked #6 and is starting for the Jets and has 25 tackles, 2 passes defensed, and a sack.

I would have liked to see us take OJ Howard. Ideal scenario would have been to trade the pick for a package of picks moving down and getting him before Tampa. We had offers, but Gman refused to even listen to the offers and put the pick in 10 seconds after we were on the board.

I would have only liked to have trade up if we could have jumped Jax to get Fournette.

I would have loved to get Adams. However, no where have I seen that the Jets, or anyone in front of them, were willing to trade. Maybe we didn't make offers that were enticing, maybe they just weren't listening. The point is we picked No. 8 and people are saying we wasted the No. 8 pick because we selected CMC. I want to hear a good alternative of who to pick at No. 8, not a fantasy (since we don't know if they were listening) of trading up.

CMC's problems running the ball are the same as everyone else's running the ball for the Panthers. Our run blocking is awful. Take out the runs by Samuel (31 yards) and Byrd (12 yards) and we are averaging 3.1 yards per carry. That counts Stewart, CMC, Fozzy and Cam. Meanwhile, CMC is the team's leading receiver and, as has been noted but conveniently ignored by his detractors, is opening up the offense for other members of the team.

Yeah it's a disconnect between what we've seen as far as run blocking goes and the PFF rating that puts the Panthers as the second best offensive line overall through week five.

Our running game should open up if Cam continues to make teams pay for stacking the box and KB/Funions can continue to beat man coverage.

My post about wasting the #8 pick was more about the rest of the draft than CMC. I don't like taking RBs that early but at least CMC looks like he'll stay on the roster.

GaDeac bringing the substance. Great post. Poes coming...

CMC is a RB by name only.

He plays with Stewart also in the game. He can give our offense multiple looks without having to substitute. He lines up all over the field. He motions pre-snap and three defensive players follow him.

We were missing a dynamic player that can potentially be a home-run hitter. Sometimes you draft for need. Especially when you're a good team/roster that finds yourself drafting in the top 10. Get a potential playmaker and be done with it. Jesus, why is this so vexing?

samuel and moton aren't going anywhere any time soon. ffs it took funchess until year 3 to not be considered a bust.

samuel and moton aren't going anywhere any time soon. ffs it took funchess until year 3 to not be considered a bust.

The new GM isn't going to have as much patience for guys he didn't draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back