• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Woof. I think it’s a pretty good indicator that he’s in over his head with this campaign.

I don’t think he’s in over his head but he clearly hasn’t engaged in the national social discourse on some issues. He’s got the policy debates but this hasn’t been a policy issue yet. As with the “all lives matter” comment, he lacks awareness of how to frame the issues even if his beliefs align with the progressive base.

He's also too religious (for me).

I could see that being a turnoff for some, but not for most. Obama is the first candidate who kind of attempted to run as part of the religious left. Pete is going all in. We'll see how it goes.

Pete should fire or publicly reprimand the spokesperson who made the initial statement then make his own public statement. I suspect his team is made up of a lot of locals who are definitely over their heads. His main office is in South Bend, but I think I heard he opened a Chicago office to recruit nationally.

I could see that being a turnoff for some, but not for most. Obama is the first candidate who kind of attempted to run as part of the religious left. Pete is going all in. We'll see how it goes.

I think his religiosity is helpful, and fwiw, I'm an athiest. Maybe this can help him appeal to younger evangelicals and religious folks. I'm tired of ceding such a yuge % of the religious vote to Pubs.

I think his religiosity is helpful, and fwiw, I'm an athiest. Maybe this can help him appeal to younger evangelicals and religious folks. I'm tired of ceding such a yuge % of the religious vote to Pubs.

That's the goal. It could also help with black voters who have been the core of religious Democrats until the emergence of white religious liberals.

That's the goal. It could also help with black voters who have been the core of religious Democrats until the emergence of white religious liberals.

White religious liberals? I think they're on the endangered species list. Basically a few Sojourners, Stephen Colbert and Pete Buttigieg.

You may be right, but any evangelical is hopeless.

Why is that a problem?

I see no difference in this then someone saying Omar is to Muslim for me.

Pretty bigoted of you shoo, but it doesn’t surprise.

Classic whatamount. 100% on brand, all the time.

You may be right, but any evangelical is hopeless.

I grew up in an evangelical church and pretty much hate evangelicals. But you're only like 85-90% correct. The Sojourners church is religiously conservative but socially liberal. And there are a few followers of Clarence Jordan out there. He was the founder of the Koinonia farming community near Americus GA (near Plains) who did the cotton patch gospels. Habitat grew out of that community, which explains why Jimmy Carter has always been into Habitat. And I keep reading that younger evangelicals aren't as socially conservative as their parents, but I wouldn't know because I'm an old who doesn't exactly hang with the young evangelical crowd.

It is so embarrassing that we are even asking candidates about vaccines. What the fuck are we doing?

I don't know much about Omar's religious beliefs, other than the mere fact that she is Muslim. As far as I know, she has not argued that the US should be governed by Sharia law (the way we are already governed by Christian law), or that Muslims should be exempted from vaccines for religious reasons. Nuanced thought is not one of Catamount's strongpoints.

I don't know much about Omar's religious beliefs, other than the mere fact that she is Muslim. As far as I know, she has not argued that the US should be governed by Sharia law (the way we are already governed by Christian law), or that Muslims should be exempted from vaccines for religious reasons. Nuanced thought is not one of Catamount's strongpoints.

What about his faith concerns you?

FWIW, e-v.com had a piece this a.m. on this week's polls giving both Biden and Warren bumps, which has widened Biden's lead over Bernie and which has Warren slightly overtaking Buttigieg for 3rd.

So if Buttigieg is too Christian, and Omar is too Muslim, I feel the other religions are being cheated out of the attention they deserve. Which pols are too Jewish, Buddhist and Taoist?

Back