• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I don't know much about Omar's religious beliefs, other than the mere fact that she is Muslim. As far as I know, she has not argued that the US should be governed by Sharia law (the way we are already governed by Christian law), or that Muslims should be exempted from vaccines for religious reasons. Nuanced thought is not one of Catamount's strongpoints.

Americans make space for a wide range of ways to practice Christianity. See how evangelicals think Trump is a Christian. But we assume any Muslim is super devout especially if she wears hijab.

What I think Shoo was saying (and what I generally agree with) is that throwing your religion in people's faces at all opportunities is tiresome, especially for those that are not also religious. It's even worse when those same people become extremely judgmental about your lack of faith and that you must be inherently a bad person because of such lack of faith, but become uber-defensive and sometimes hostile if you ask them to not throw religion everywhere. Just look at how polarizing Tim Tebow was to a lot of people.

What catamount does not (cannot?) grasp is that it is not a criticism of Christianity, it's a criticism of all religions in such overwhelming "I AM XXXXXX, HEAR ME ROAR" statements.

What I think Shoo was saying (and what I generally agree with) is that throwing your religion in people's faces at all opportunities is tiresome, especially for those that are not also religious. It's even worse when those same people become extremely judgmental about your lack of faith and that you must be inherently a bad person because of such lack of faith, but become uber-defensive and sometimes hostile if you ask them to not throw religion everywhere. Just look at how polarizing Tim Tebow was to a lot of people.

What catamount does not (cannot?) grasp is that it is not a criticism of Christianity, it's a criticism of all religions in such overwhelming "I AM XXXXXX, HEAR ME ROAR" statements.

Yeah, let’s just get religion out of the electoral process. Separation of church and state and all that Jazz.

Says a lot about whatamount’s head space that he thought I was bitching that a $40,000 job was not decent pay. Shit I’d jump out of my shorts if I was making even $25,000. I’ve been living on like $12,000-15,000 a year for a decade lol.

This is a joke, right?

Maybe a minor point but I wish candidates/news outlets would stop referring to "mandatory vaccination" without noting that the requirements are for kids who attend schools or daycares. It just feeds into the anxiety anti-vaxxers have about Big Government kicking down their doors and forcibly vaccinating them (and taking their guns, imposing Sharia law, etc.).

Maybe a minor point but I wish candidates/news outlets would stop referring to "mandatory vaccination" without noting that the requirements are for kids who attend schools or daycares. It just feeds into the anxiety anti-vaxxers have about Big Government kicking down their doors and forcibly vaccinating them (and taking their guns, imposing Sharia law, etc.).

Good point.

$12-15k is less than a McDonald's cashier. I guess I'm trying to figure out if you are seeking a job that would pay you market rate or if you stay in that salary range by choice?

I mean I have been in school, so that was part-time. I have used loans to cover probably about 60% of the cost that wasn't covered by scholarships. The 12-15K covers necessary expenses with a little extra.

Sure but Mayor Pete isn't doing this. So what about his faith bothers you?

Yeah, let’s just get religion out of the electoral process. Separation of church and state and all that Jazz.

Says the person in AL.

FWIW, we get a lot of that religious thing in VA because of Falwell's and Robertson's universities, and the Valley is ultra religious, and it has largely resulted in the religious right running the Pub party at a statewide grassroots level. The funny thing is that has hurt them in statewide elections in recent years. In 2013, they ran a right wing religious climate change denier for governor with a lt gov nominee minister who believed yoga can lead to devil worship, instead of a more popular moderate in Bill Bolling, who would have destroyed McAuliffe. They ran a slightly less conservative the last time in Gillispie, who also lost, and they ran an anti immigrant Trump VA campaign manager in Corey Stewart for senator, and he had attended 1 of Jason Kessler's statue events here in Cville with other white supremacists. The political talking heads on TV take for granted that VA is a blue state when in actuality it's still a fairly conservative state where the Pubs still slightly control the general assembly. But what the state Pub party hasn't realized is they can no longer run people like George Jethro Allen and win statewide races with total right wingers.

Sure but Mayor Pete isn't doing this. So what about his faith bothers you?

Buttigieg's faith doesn't bother me. I was stating the point that I thought Shoo was making, which is a point that I agree with in general.

Back