• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I keep seeing people freak out about all the people running for President who could be running for Senate instead.

Rubio declared in April 2015, was considered a top contender, won three primaries, got beat in FL, finished third in the delegate count, dropped out in March 2016 and defended his Senate seat with little problem.

I think we will see people dropping out before Iowa and the field narrow down significantly after SC. Plenty of time for Senate contenders to refocus their efforts.

What about Beto who's running for president when he should really be giving senator another try ?

Pete can run for senate in 2022 after he loses.

Kamala and Bennet can run again in 2022.

Booker is cleared to run for his senate seat and president at the same time in 2020 and it looks like he's the only one in a similar position to Rubio (correct me if I'm wrong).

Warren, Gillibrand, Klobuchar, aren't up till 2024.

Great point though.

Also, this thread title sucks from a civics class standpoint, but i'm not going to change it.

I had some hesitancy for Warren as president for a few reasons, but f it, I'm all in for her. This is among the reasons why:

To be fair...in 20 years a lot of Trump voters will be dead.

God willing

And yeah I'm on the Warren Wagon too. She was actually my favorite last time around before she decided not run, so I settled on Bernie.

I'm starting to accept that a Warren/Mayor Pete ticket would be legit.

Last edited:
What about Beto who's running for president when he should really be giving senator another try ?

Booker is cleared to run for his senate seat and president at the same time in 2020 and it looks like he's the only one in a similar position to Rubio (correct me if I'm wrong).

Great point though.

My post was specifically about the blowback Bullock is facing for running instead of contesting in Montana where he would have a legit shot to steal a seat.

Overall, I'm not too worried about it because it's an opportunity for insurgent candidates to run.

I'm all in for Warren as well, as fruitless as that may end up being. This is a great thread:

I don’t have access to the data right now because I’m out of pocket today, but CCES ran the numbers on Bernie voters in 2016 and in the general and found that there were enough Trump/3rd party voting Bernie Bros in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania that would have flipped all 3 states to Hillary if they voted for her. I posted them on a thread a while back.

I’m not blaming Bernie Bros for Trump 100%, obviously Republicans are like 99.9% culpable, but they’re not totally absolved of blame.

Warren/Buttigeig??? LOLOLOL

Do you clowns WANT Trump to win re-election in 2020?

I'm all in for Warren as well, as fruitless as that may end up being. This is a great thread:

Wait... I thought a candidate criticizing a news network was a direct attack on the 1st amendment??

Great point though.

Actually, Schumer is having a bit of a hard time scaring up strong candidates for 2020 senate seats. Dem leadership did get their preferred candidate in AZ in Mark Kelly, and he won't face a contested primary. Other than that, leadership is striking out thus far. They wanted Vilsack in IA, Hickenlooper in CO and Abrams in GA to run, but apparently none of the 3 are (though could change their minds). They also haven't settled as to who is running in ME and NC. CO is still very winnable no matter who wins the Dem primary, but the other 4 states are all uphill battles.

The idea that only one person from any state could represent Democrats is silly. Schumer needs to create a strong infrastructure in every state and quality people will line up to run.

Too scared of a competent woman and gay man?

I mostly like Warren, but I don't think she's electable. As for Pete, I don't know how much being gay will affect him. But if he's veep, it wouldn't matter because the veep doesn't move the needle much. And I think he could make a good veep choice if Biden, Warren or Klobuchar is the nominee.

The idea that only one person from any state could represent Democrats is silly. Schumer needs to create a strong infrastructure in every state and quality people will line up to run.

I didn't say only 1 person can. I'm saying they're having a hard time getting their preferred candidates who are the biggest names and who would be perceived as having the best chance to win. And I do believe any generic Dem with a pulse will be the favorite in CO. But IA, GA, NC and ME will tougher to win, and the stronger the candidate, the better the chance.

Why is she not electable?

She's very liberal and from the northeast. And as we've discussed plenty over the last few years, it's harder to run for national office as a woman. Ask Hillary. You never hear a man being called shrill or a guy's looks being discussed anywhere near as much. And as I've pointed out on this thread, the states deciding this election are PA, MI, WI, VA, NC, FL, NH, NV and AZ. I believe she'd have a hard time winning culturally more conservative states.

I didn't say only 1 person can. I'm saying they're having a hard time getting their preferred candidates who are the biggest names and who would be perceived as having the best chance to win. And I do believe any generic Dem with a pulse will be the favorite in CO. But IA, GA, NC and ME will tougher to win, and the stronger the candidate, the better the chance.

Yeah, Beto should be running against Cornyn. Not Trump.

Back