• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I should add that it is a little weird to see "the left" on social media mourning Booker's exit after a decade of smearing him as a shill for Wall Street.

nah i'm just sick of you stirring the pot for the purposes of start fights on here, Whatamount

ETA: I can't quote posts anymore when I post on the website version of the boards, mods. Whenever I try, it inserts multiple posts that I quoted weeks/months ago. Anybody else having issues with this?

Not a mod, not even a pretend mod, but the answer is to go back to those old messages and uncheck "multi quote this message".

Whatamount - I'm just noticing when you come by to post on the Tunnels, man. You're either a troll or a shit-stirrer, so that's how I read your posts. I'm happy to read your posts in a different light if you start engaging with folks in good faith. Otherwise, fuck off with this shit and let us know next time Andy Ngo gets hit with a fictional concrete milkshake.

Last edited:
How is posting a “breaking news*” article and then siding with Sanders stirring the pot?

Because we've had the same conversation dozens of times on this board. It seems silly that it wouldn't come up among two people discussing presidential viability. Clickbait.

Ph, you need to spend less time on social media, man. It's a cesspool that doesn't remotely correspond with how people IRL (particularly lefties) think and talk about politics.

Speaking of which, I wonder why CNN has been going hard after Sanders (apart from his economic policy)

Do you think Trump's NLRB would have fined Fox for the same thing?

The biggest problem for hourly workers in America is the demise of unions. Reagan was at the beginning of this.

I think Mayor Cory Booker would have been a more attractive candidate for similar reasons I think Mayor Julian Castro would have and I think Mayor Pete is. Establishment Dems haven't done well in the general. There's a real hunger for leaders from outside of Washington. That's why out of all the Presidents in my lifetime, only Bush I spent a lot of time in Washington when he was elected.

maybe, but the three Democrat front-runners have spent a long time in DC

My take on Warren's dip is that Sanders' ground team is absolutely crushing in the early states and taking some of her support. He has the most volunteers by almost a factor of two. His texting and calling campaigns have gotten a lot of commitments from people in the "never voted before" or "haven't voted in a long time" groups, which no other candidate is going after.

The problem with this take is that her numbers have not just dipped in early state polls. They've had a largely corresponding dip in late state and national polls as well. As a contrast, look at Buttigieg's unusually good IA numbers, but the fact that he is over performing there hasn't helped his numbers in the national polls. And if Sanders is doing well with new or not in a long time voters, that wouldn't necessarily be showing in the polls, depending on how much a pollster is weighing likelies v. unlikelies. What that would suggest is more that Bernie's performances in the early states will be better than his poll numbers would otherwise suggest, and not an explanation as to why Warren's numbers have dipped. I was talking to 1 Dem friend who thinks her dip is more because of her health care positions, and another who thinks it's more due to the perceived electability glass ceiling thing. I don't have a good working theory for her dip. I've just noticed the drop over the last month or 2 without a discernible causal event and have been wondering what the reason for this is.

it has been a very surprising resurgence

just a few months ago, I was really surprised by the number of young progressives that I'm familiar with that endorsed Warren, all of whom were vocal Bernie folks last time around

very impressive work by his campaign

Sanders is also just more progressive in policy and in rhetoric than Warren. Nevermind whether Sanders's followers are idiots or whether Sanders will be able to accomplish anything, but there are pretty clear divisions between what Sanders is pitching and what Warren is pitching. I still lean towards Warren because I appreciate the level of detail that she has put into her initial platforms, but it's also clear to me that they're really different candidates.

One take I saw re: Booker is that he's such a familiar face that there was no compelling news story to tell, so he didn't get the major media pieces that others did.

Here's another piece for cville re: progressives moving towards Sanders over Warren https://www.politico.com/news/2020/...DUW3injn4pFsYDhq7rZCoU1V5-19APAxBrfkXr6SEH7Oc

Yes, he's been getting endorsements. And his surge would explain why he's gone from #3 to #2 in the race currently. That said, Bernie's national numbers have been steadier than Warren's numbers over the last year. They've generally been in the mid to high teens, whereas Warren's started out in single digits, steadily rose to the high teens to low twenties and have dropped back to the mid teens recently. I get Bernie's steadier numbers because he's well known and came in 2nd in 2016. But his numbers recently are not that different from 6 months ago. He's getting into the low 20s here and there but is still mostly in the 16-20% range. So he's had a little uptick but not enough to explain her drop. I'm just thinking there is something else at play and have little idea what it is.

I mean, re: DistrictDeacon's point -

a failed Senatorial candidate and the mayor of fucking South Bend got more mainstream media coverage than Booker

regardless of how one feels about Booker (and other established non-white/non-male candidates like Harris, Gillibrand, etc.), that's pretty damning

I feel like a Biden/Harris or Biden/Booker ticket has the best chance to take down Trump.

Can’t help but get a bad feeling this whole primary is shaking down exactly how Trump wants.

I think Bernie people are getting way too happy about this buzz. It’s like they’re viewing things from a Bernie specific lens. The Warren and Pete camps got excited when those rose before they fell.

Bernie’s hype doesn’t look any different than the Biden hype before he was the big target, the Warren hype before she was the big target, and the Pete hype before he was the big target.

I’d argue that everyone else taking their licks is one reason Bernie is getting a bump. Bernie is going to take his licks going into Iowa. Can he withstand them?

Juice, the fact that the three front runners are establishment is what scares me. It opens a door for Steyer and Bloomberg. I don’t think those three are stronger enough against Trump. I’m really worried.

Back