• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

I don't think that CA, NY, or TX needs to be the first states to vote in the primary process, but I would have more diverse states than NH or IA go first. Perhaps CO, or NM, or AZ or NV or even NC or VA or GA. Maybe a combo of some of those. Also, the caucus states need to be required to move to primaries.

I could see a first couple of weeks of rotating NC, NV,CO, WA, GA, VA, MN/WI (one of those).

I feel like I've heard that Illinois is the most racially representative state in the country right now. Would also be good for swing states to be spread out further in the primary. Knock out Florida and Ohio early, instead of New Hampshire and Iowa.

The problem I'd have with IL, FL or OH is how expensive they are to do media in at this time. Without full campaign finance reform, big, expensive states favor "establishment" too much.

There’s no way. I think he’d love to claim victim and not actual lose an election but he opens himself up to a ton of litigation as soon as he’s out of office.

I don't know...I could see it. His ego is so fragile that he could make some really rash and stupid decisions in the remaining months (even more than the usual rash and stupid decisions he makes every day). He lives to be the Hero of his own story and not the incumbent who got his ass handed to him. Not likely, but I could see it.

Well, he’s a giant coward...otoh...

Either way, he’ll definitely accept no responsibility for any failure. Probably reject its reality as well.

Certainly some truth to both statements as he's a political lifer and largely status quo guy. I do read the crime bill thing a little differently than some though. I think he helped push through a terrible bill ( in hindsight) but that was part of the time back then and the fear mongering (dangerous inner cities, crack epidemic -opiods are "heartland" so it's a health crisis etc). I guess I'm holding on to the possibility, hopefully?, that he was a product of the time then and remains so now. By that I mean he will fight for reform/change that the people around him want to see. Im really hoping he surrounds himself by good people.

It wasn't fear mongering. For fucks sake American mayors from almost every major city endorsed that bill. It passed the Senate with something like 94 votes. Crime was a huge issue when it was passed because crime had climbed for years at a high rate and the American people were telling their elected representatives to get crime under control. Was anyone on this board even old enough to vote back then besides 3 or 4 of us? That bill has had lots of bad side effects, no doubt. But let's be very clear about why it passed and how easily it passed.

I feel like I've heard that Illinois is the most racially representative state in the country right now. Would also be good for swing states to be spread out further in the primary. Knock out Florida and Ohio early, instead of New Hampshire and Iowa.

And if that is true it is also the most racially segregated.

The connotation of segregation is something that was imposed. A lot of the demographic differences in IL are directly tied to the manufacturing job migration from the South to industrialized states. When large numbers of blacks came to IL, it was for jobs in Chicago and along the northern of the state for steel and other plants.

The connotation of segregation is something that was imposed. A lot of the demographic differences in IL are directly tied to the manufacturing job migration from the South to industrialized states. When large numbers of blacks came to IL, it was for jobs in Chicago and along the northern of the state for steel and other plants.

Kind of. It wasn't about where the jobs were available. While there were no official Jim Crow Laws in Chicago at the time of the Great Migration, lending, investment, and the availability of housing to Black workers was an intentional segregation.

Segregation didn't just happen in Chicago and other northern cities - it was very intentional, and sometimes violent, in response to the influx of Black migrants from the south.

No question Chicago is and was segregated. I was talking about the state as a whole.

1 - It was imposed, sometimes even with direct laws. Racial covenants by homeowners and even the city itself, neighborhood association rules, racial redlining, zoning to particular types of dwellings all helped create segregation. And that type of stuff didn't just impact blacks. People didn't want to live near the Irish. People didn't want to live near the Poles. And when groups had their own hoods they wanted to keep them their own hoods. Chicago was not unique in these regards.

2 - Outside of East St Louis (which has its own issues), Illinois is basically Chicago, the burbs, a whole lot of flat farm land. And that has served to segregate people too as you suggest.

Not being unique is very true. In the ritzy, very old money area of the Main Line in Philly, it wasn't unheard of for neighbors to chip in and buy a house rather than letting someone (read Italian, Jew, black) move in that wasn't one of their own.

I grew up in the Baltimore area, and while it's still pretty segregated, it used to be really segregated. There is a great book by a former Sun reporter, Antero Pietila, called "Not in My Neighborhood" which gives a history of the city through the lens of discriminatory housing practices. Baltimore historically had large African American, Jewish and southern and eastern European populations. Neighborhoods had restrictive covenants well into the 60s and maybe even the 70s. If you recall in the Wire, they had the east side and west side gangs - Prop Joe was east and Stringer was west. And that's because downtown bisects 2 large historically African American areas east and west of downtown. Further east closer to the old docks was very eastern European. The northwest part of town was heavily Jewish. My grandparents lived in north central neighborhood that had restrictive covenants - no Jews or African Americans there. As a kid in the early 80s, I worked at Baltimore Country Club, and there were no African Americans or Jews as members, and the only member whose name ended in a vowel was the president of Loyola College. And my favorite fast food restaurant back then was a place that mostly served polish sausage called Polock Johnny's. There used to be a fair amount of corruption too. Spiro Agnew was still getting kickbacks from his days as Baltimore County executive days when he was vice president. If you were a developer back then, you had to bribe the right county execs in order to put in a development.

South Philly had Italian blocks and Jewish blocks. The famous Overbrook started out about 90% Jewish and 10% black. By the late 60s, it was 95% black. A fun thing around the Brook was Larry's Bellyfiller Cheeseteaks and The Stand (a water ice place in someone's garage) were defacto DMZ. No one got hassled at either place. The general urban legend was that if you knew enough to come there and were willing to make that pilgrimage you were OK.

Even when Deac Jim Simons led the US Open at Merion into the third round, the club was completely closed. No people of color, Jews, Italians, among others were allowed to join. Some of the primarily Jewish clubs were the first to have black members.

Yeah, I'm sure other northeastern cities like Philly, Pittsburgh and Boston had similar patterns.

Back