• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

I know the answer is “it doesn’t fit the narrative” but there have been plenty of states using mail in ballots in some capacity and I haven’t heard any concrete issues about widespread fraud. Use existing data to dismiss this boogeyman.

I know the answer is “it doesn’t fit the narrative” but there have been plenty of states using mail in ballots in some capacity and I haven’t heard any concrete issues about widespread fraud. Use existing data to dismiss this boogeyman.

Dismiss it? The people that would believe this boogeyman neither know anything about data nor care about data. And they would never even see it. These people get 70% of their "news" from Facebook memes and the other 30% from FoxNews or something even worse. They go out of there way to avoid the facts.

This development is entirely unsurprising.

Yup.

And as a practical matter, I have no problem with voting in person on election day. It's like going to the grocery store. Most everyone around here is good about wearing a mask when they're at stores. We haven't had lines longer than 10 minutes in recent years. So they'll make sure everyone is wearing a mask and standing 6' apart in line. And I'll bring my own pen.

Vegas odds on election winner over last week have shifted from -105 (Dems) and Even (GOP) to -130 (Dems) and Even (GOP). Donald specifically has changed from -105 to +105. Biden best odds he’s had ever that have seen at -120.

Democrats -130 to take senate, -575 to win the popular vote (implied odds of 85.2%)

Angus can make a killing in Vegas right now on a State by state basis betting on the GOP candidate to win the electoral votes where democrats are currently favored. Put your money where your mouth is Brad:

Arizona +125
Florida Even
Michigan +220
Nevada +330
NH +245
NC Even
Pennsylvania +190
Virginia +440

Yeah seriously. No they fucking can't Mike read the god damned Constitution.

Question isn’t really whether he CAN do this (obviously isn’t allowed by black letter) but rather what happens if he DID do this? What enforcement mechanisms do we have in place to address this that would actually kick in? So as of January 20, 2021 he’s not the president anymore and Pence isn’t VP - would military listen to Donald or Pelosi that day if given conflicting orders and hypothetically no election?

I think there are elements in the military that want the sort of fascist state that Trump also wants to see. (Internet rumors state that the book Starship Troopers is on some sort of official military reading list. Not sure if that's true, but unlike the movie, the book is not satire and sincerely wants a society where you earn voting rights by joining the military).

But I think the military will ultimately not back Trump, mostly because they still enjoy exalted status among the citizenry. Defense spending has largely avoided scrutiny in the recent months (and perhaps it shouldn't). Military backs Trump on this, and now the military gets booed at football games (assuming they happen at some point) and egged on the streets.

Just my opinion.

On the way to work, NPR was interviewing one of the GOP Reps from Utah. The interviewer asked him about it the tweet. He said he had been in meetings this morning and hadn't seen it so he couldn't comment. So she read it to him. It was extremely frustrating listening to him stumble over himself trying to make the points that: (1) Trump has a legit concern about mail-in voting (he doesn't) and (2) he disputes the insinuation that this is connected to Trump's poll numbers (it is).

The GOP reaction to this, and Trump's future statements on the topic, will be the most obvious display of their complete and total lack of respect for the intelligence of their base. They will repeat bold faced lies and try to gaslight everyone.

But there's good news. This is so obvious and such a gross overreach and so anti-democratic that it will be overwhelmingly unpopular. It will backfire. Trump looks like the scared little bitch he is.

You would think someone on his staff would be like "oh by the way, since you're about to go on a national radio show, you may be asked about the president's statement regarding postponing the election." Ya know, just walking from meeting to meeting.

They don’t need a heads up, they know exactly what he said. They’d just prefer to not acknowledge it. Spineless.

Someone smarter than me at the constitution could maybe confirm or refute this, but I read somewhere (forget where) that the clause stating that the Presidents term ends in January is not contingent on the existence of an election. So in the scenario where the election was cancelled, Trump and Pence would legally be out and Pelosi would be president.

None of these Trump loyalists are actually loyal to Trump. They're just self-interested. Once it's no longer within their self-interest to align with him, they'll move on. The Trump camp is reading the writing on the wall right now, looking like a Biden electoral landslide, and they're flailing. I'm concerned about who Trump's heroes are on a global scale and the blueprint he may think that lays out for him.
This is all for transition to his next grift.

None of these Trump loyalists are actually loyal to Trump. They're just self-interested. Once it's no longer within their self-interest to align with him, they'll move on. The Trump camp is reading the writing on the wall right now, looking like a Biden electoral landslide, and they're flailing. I'm concerned about who Trump's heroes are on a global scale and the blueprint he may think that lays out for him.

Nah. They’re loyal to Trump because they’re loyal to the Party and he is the Party until a stronger more powerful man replaces him.

On the way to work, NPR was interviewing one of the GOP Reps from Utah. The interviewer asked him about it the tweet. He said he had been in meetings this morning and hadn't seen it so he couldn't comment. So she read it to him. It was extremely frustrating listening to him stumble over himself trying to make the points that: (1) Trump has a legit concern about mail-in voting (he doesn't) and (2) he disputes the insinuation that this is connected to Trump's poll numbers (it is).

The GOP reaction to this, and Trump's future statements on the topic, will be the most obvious display of their complete and total lack of respect for the intelligence of their base. They will repeat bold faced lies and try to gaslight everyone.

But there's good news. This is so obvious and such a gross overreach and so anti-democratic that it will be overwhelmingly unpopular. It will backfire. Trump looks like the scared little bitch he is.

That’s naive. Trump can move the party on any issue with a tweet. And if it’s not unpopular with the base, Republicans will stand by it.

Yup.

And as a practical matter, I have no problem with voting in person on election day. It's like going to the grocery store. Most everyone around here is good about wearing a mask when they're at stores. We haven't had lines longer than 10 minutes in recent years. So they'll make sure everyone is wearing a mask and standing 6' apart in line. And I'll bring my own pen.

And other places have had 5+ hour waits. For you, it’s the store. For others, it’s a new ride at Disney World in July.

Someone smarter than me at the constitution could maybe confirm or refute this, but I read somewhere (forget where) that the clause stating that the Presidents term ends in January is not contingent on the existence of an election. So in the scenario where the election was cancelled, Trump and Pence would legally be out and Pelosi would be president.

Only if 5 Supreme Court Justices agree.

I feel like Trump could probably make more money as former President than President now

(though I guess the impending state of New York charges have him scared)

I agree with this, although his days with any presence in NY are near the end. Once out of office, i think his "businesses"/properties will decline in occupancy. Prob at a high rate, in fact I bet is has already started. Having said that, FLA is a cesspool for white collar corruption. He will make hand over fist in FLA.

In regards to people being "loyal" to Trump vs the Republican Party, the leader of the party - I think its absolutely both. Some people love Trump because he encourages their worst impulses, and his cultural theatrics provide cover for a level of short term grift and corruption that would command more attention under a typical Presidency. More traditional Republicans I think realize that this level of irrationality and anger makes its much more difficult for Republicans to stay in power.

If there isn't an election, what happens with senators and representatives who are up for election?

Back