• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

The next Trump will be a Stephen Miller type and it will be twice as bad.

If there isn't an election, what happens with senators and representatives who are up for election?

There will be elections. Federal can’t control state elections. Some states will definitely elect senators and reps. Those states will also seat electors and IIRC, the majority of those electors will vote for the President.

I don’t know if there’s a bare minimum. But, on 1/20/21, the current President will no longer hold office and the one voted on by the electors will be seated.

If there’s some reason why the electors are tied up in lawsuits and can’t vote for it, the state delegations for the House of Representatives will elect the President. I think it’s the outgoing House, but not 100% on that.

If all of that fails, I think it would go to Speaker of the House.

Opening Arguments did a great podcast on this topic a few weeks ago.

Bill Maher has been on this for about a year now, asking every candidate what they would do if Trump refuses to leave - I put delaying an election into that category. The question was not taken seriously by many, and it's still not being taken seriously enough.

If there isn't an election, what happens with senators and representatives who are up for election?

I could see GOP legislatures with vulnerable GOP senators delaying the election. They know if they lose they may never regain power.

Bill Maher has been on this for about a year now, asking every candidate what they would do if Trump refuses to leave - I put delaying an election into that category. The question was not taken seriously by many, and it's still not being taken seriously enough.

I bet there are intricate plans already made, but they don't want to discuss them in the open and cause panic.

I could see GOP legislatures with vulnerable GOP senators delaying the election. They know if they lose they may never regain power.

People are fickle. Those individual senators may not get back into power because they are old men, but give things 6-8 years and everyone will somehow forget everything that has happened and go back to voting Republican because few people are ever actually happy with government.

yep, Trump should set the Republican party back 30 years but it's more likely that we see a pub back in the white house by 2028.

Honestly I don't even think they want to win, outside of the chub they get from power the grift is so much easier when they just get to rant, obstruct, and complain.

True but the grift isn’t the same as those sweet sweet tax cuts.

The blowback from this tweet has actually been pretty good. He’s like a child trying to see how much he can get away with.

Has anyone on the right given even any pushback on his tweet?

McConnell was asked about it today campaigning in Kentucky and said that the date would not be changed, as the country had gone through major wars and depressions without "moving the date of the federal election", and that it was not going to change this year. So I guess there's that. While Trump was no doubt serious about delaying the election and was likely fishing to see the response, at least from the right, it also wouldn't surprise me if he said that today to try and take attention away from the funeral of John Lewis. He's more than petty enough to do it.

McConnell was asked about it today campaigning in Kentucky and said that the date would not be changed, as the country had gone through major wars and depressions without "moving the date of the federal election", and that it was not going to change this year. So I guess there's that. While Trump was no doubt serious about delaying the election and was likely fishing to see the response, at least from the right, it also wouldn't surprise me if he said that today to try and take attention away from the funeral of John Lewis. He's more than petty enough to do it.

Cummings, died over a year ago. This had nothing to do with his death.

Back