• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Presidential Election: Biden v. Trump

One could argue the current administration has begun a revolution against the rule of law, the Constitution and against our former allies.

I'm also noting a trend over the last week or so. Trump's approval ratings are starting to head south a bit. He got a little bump when the rona hit, but a lower bump than most presidents get when a crisis hits and folks rally around the flag. Then his approval ratings went back to the usual 42-44% range. And now I'm starting to see more like 40%, and the most recent Rasmussen I saw was 44%, which is the lowest Rasmussen I've seen in forever. And this at a time when Romney and Murkowski are publicly wondering if they're voting for Trump. I'm not suggesting the dam is breaking, and his support will begin to crater. But by contrast his approval ratings went up over the couple months after Cville. So maybe we are beginning to see the start of what will hopefully be some permanent erosion. Hell, even UT may be within shouting distance as per a recent poll.

The last couple weeks are the beginning of a social and cultural revolution. One that is long overdue, and needs to occur if this nation has a chance of surviving the 21st century.

Certainly seems like it. The conditions were ripe for a social movement and it is happening.

Can’t wait to hear trump excuse when he gets landslides. Be even better if he loses TX. It’s even there right now.

Can’t wait to hear trump excuse when he gets landslides. Be even better if he loses TX. It’s even there right now.

Illegal immigrants voting.

Ken Klippenstein is a national treasure and he must be protected at all costs

Certainly seems like it. The conditions were ripe for a social movement and it is happening.

Bernie tried to lead this revolution from within the existing political infrastructure but was stymied and now people are taking to the streets.

EaJ3ht4WoAAsjS-

I'm not sure I could have come up with a funnier parody if I tried.

Great. More mine-proof vehicles and other toys for cops to cosplay as Navy Seals.

Community polcing doesn't work when the cops act like they're in fucking Fallujah.

Last edited:
markets will fix racism if we just got politics out of the way and let them

vote Either Candidate 2020

Bernie tried to lead this revolution from within the existing political infrastructure but was stymied and now people are taking to the streets.

So the Democratic primary voters stymied this revolution?

Interesting theory

markets will fix racism if we just got politics out of the way and let them

vote Either Candidate 2020

giphy.gif

Can we agree that Defund the Police is a bad name for what that movement is seeking to accomplish (which I agree with)?

Setting that aside, given that it does not mean abolish the police (I guess to some it does), but just significantly cut their oversized budgets so they're not buying fucking tanks and other military equipment -- definitely something I agree with --how does that solve the problem of a continuing to exist police force that will not be reformed, will have less money for training, will potentially be paying less and attracting even shittier people, etc.?

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Can we agree that Defund the Police is a bad name for what that movement is seeking to accomplish (which I agree with)?

Setting that aside, given that it does not mean abolish the police (I guess to some it does), but just significantly cut their oversized budgets so they're not buying fucking tanks and other military equipment -- definitely something I agree with --how does that solve the problem of a continuing to exist police force that will not be reformed, will have less money for training, will potentially be paying less and attracting even shittier people, etc.?

The new budgets would redirect large amounts of that money to create other positions that would specialize in specific communities crisis needs: mental health, domestic disturbances, investigation, etc. Its basically trading in a box full of hammers for a well equipped toolbox, that still includes a normal, non fascist amount of hammers.

So the Democratic primary voters stymied this revolution?

Interesting theory

Not especially. This isn't really the thread for it, but I'd strongly suggest the latest episode of Chapo Trap House, a 1-1 interview with Matt Christman, which frames these recent protests in context of 1848 and 1905, draws useful distinctions between protests and insurrections, talks about the strengths and weaknesses of spontaneous rally vs one with leadership, etc. It talks about how people learn to protest; for a lot of people in the millennial cohort, their first protest was the Women's March around the start of the Trump administration.

I've definitely cast judgment on the "If Hillary were President, We'd be at Brunch" crowd, but it's still a starting point of political direct action outside of electoralism. And Matt made some important points the podcast has never really conceded before with its detached ironic approach, which is to say that building a coalition will be much easier around "defund and refund" arguments for policing than "abolition" arguments. Again, I heartily suggest it, though probably not for people like ChrisL. It sort of predicted the Biden approach to these protests as a neoliberal one first and foremost rather than one focused on social/racial justice.

For a scumbag left comedy podcast, it does a terrific job contextualizing our current cultural moment.

Back