• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - UNC v. Kansas for the Natty

Michigan State-Maryland

Watching the Mannequin leading Md. to an obvious train wreck reminds me of how painful his tenure was at Wake. To hell with Ron Wellman and Thank God for John Currie!

Michigan State-Maryland

Watching the Mannequin leading Md. to an obvious train wreck reminds me of how painful his tenure was at Wake. To hell with Ron Wellman and Thank God for John Currie!

The 18-1 score is in no way an indication Manning didn’t have his guys ready for a road game!

I am surprised only by the fact Maryland is still in the kenpom top 100.

Isaiah Wilkens choose wisely when he transferred to Longwood. They were the regular season champion and secured a bid to the Dance with Big South tournament championship victory over Winthrop this afternoon. Wilkens averaged 16 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists and 1.3 steals in the tourney.

I know the ACC lost the Big 10 challenge 8-6, but they get 9 bids and we get 5?

Isaiah Wilkens choose wisely when he transferred to Longwood. They were the regular season champion and secured a bid to the Dance with Big South tournament championship victory over Winthrop this afternoon. Wilkens averaged 16 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists and 1.3 steals in the tourney.

Awesome! congrats, isiah needs the ball in his hands and he found the level where he Can make a difference,

I already posted about Xavier and the awfulness of them being included in the current field, but want to shift my attention to Houston for a minute. Houston sits at #5 in KenPom and on Bracketmatrix they have an average seed of 4.55. Assuming SMU misses the tournament (as they should), Houston is entering their conference tournament 0-4 versus current tournament teams. How the hell does that justify getting a seed anywhere near a 3,4 or 5?

Put yourself in the shoes of say Baylor or Gonzaga. 1-seed, you just had an awesome season and you’re hoping to make a deep run. Would you find it fair if Houston, sitting at #5 overall in Kenpom (and NET, and BPI) was an 8-9 seed and you had to play them in the second round?

If the selection criteria is only "what is your record against other NCAA tourney teams", then Houston wouldn't be seeded that high. FWIW, it's expected that Houston will be seeded a lot worse than their analytic rankings. Houston crushed a lot of good (top 100) teams. Other than the two Memphis losses, all of the losses have been close. They also only played one team ranked in the bottom 100 (below 250). Does beating up on a ton of teams rated between 50 and 150 mean you are a top 20 team?

Looks like Houston does a good job of leaving little doubt against the mediocre competition they play

they are 16-1 at home, and 15 of those 16 wins were by double digits (the other was an OT 8-point win over Hofstra; OT 8-point wins are better than regulation 1-point wins)

If you can consistently beat those teams soundly? Yeah probably. Teams in the 30s-40s drop games like that all the time.

They’re a hard test case. I’ve got them at #17 overall, top #5 on my s-curve. Their analytics put them as a 1-2 seed. Their strength of record is coincidentally 17th. Their resume puts them maybe #30-35. So you have to thread the needle a bit, don’t give them credit for being top tier, but probably above the general masses.

I guess to drive it home more than what do the 1 seeds think — if Wake is a 9-seed, I’d be so pissed if we drew Houston round 1. I think we’d beat most of the 8s that get put in front of us but I wouldn’t feel good that we’d win that one.

Yes, Houston would be a rough match up for WF. They ball pressure for 40 minutes and force a ton of TOs.

If you can consistently beat those teams soundly? Yeah probably. Teams in the 30s-40s drop games like that all the time.

They’re a hard test case. I’ve got them at #17 overall, top #5 on my s-curve. Their analytics put them as a 1-2 seed. Their strength of record is coincidentally 17th. Their resume puts them maybe #30-35. So you have to thread the needle a bit, don’t give them credit for being top tier, but probably above the general masses.

I guess to drive it home more than what do the 1 seeds think — if Wake is a 9-seed, I’d be so pissed if we drew Houston round 1. I think we’d beat most of the 8s that get put in front of us but I wouldn’t feel good that we’d win that one.

Where do you have Wake currently in your S-curve? I am a bit taken back today to find the Washington Post and Lunardi putting Wake in Dayton. Wake feels to me like a much better team than the 2017 squad and to think they could end up at the same place seems unjust to me. I have Wake as a 9 seed and nothing to worry about, but a team like Xavier isn't even on the bubble IMO. Also maybe it is the UNC hatred, but for them to win one game and suddenly be viewed about Wake, ND, and Miami is crazy to me considering they are 0-3 versus them collectively.

I’ve got Wake #38, 10 seed. UNC #32, an 8-seed — and had them one team behind us before they beat Duke. I think a similar overall record against a harder schedule, that win being better than anything we have, 15-5 in conference and the 3 seed, and moving ahead of us in most analytic rankings probably overrides the h2h win by Wake, but it’s not by a ton.

#44-47 is the Dayton teams, so we aren’t well ahead of there, and it’s possible I’ve let my Wake bias (I think this team is really good) leak in even while working hard not to let it influence too much.

I don’t care about clicks or whatever, but if you click on QP on the bracket matrix, that’s me. It’s my 6th time officially predicting the brackets, though I’ve done it unofficially for probably the last 20 years, so far more thought than it’s worth about what goes into group decision making, etc. The last time I filled this out was 2017 (the last time we were in the mix) and I finished 2nd place if you click on his standings there. I’ve had a below average year too, so don’t take anything I say as gospel.

That’s cool to know. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Appreciate the info. I looked at your last update and feel like I’m on a anti-Xavier tour, but how do you justify them making it?
Maybe there were enough great wins over the weekend, but does seem like Wake was us being “punished” for having the weekend off. With 15 ACC teams, one a year will be given the final weekend off.

Appreciate the info. I looked at your last update and feel like I’m on a anti-Xavier tour, but how do you justify them making it?
Maybe there were enough great wins over the weekend, but does seem like Wake was us being “punished” for having the weekend off. With 15 ACC teams, one a year will be given the final weekend off.

Wake's going to have a comparison problem being 2-5 against the projected field. Xavier is 5-9. We have a profile of a team that ends up getting a surprisingly bad seed, historically. No really strong wins and a very weak out of conference schedule. Of course, this won't matter when we win the ACC Tournament.

2021-22 Men's College Basketball Season - ACC Teams Scrambling For NCAA Bids

Wake's going to have a comparison problem being 2-5 against the projected field. Xavier is 5-9. We have a profile of a team that ends up getting a surprisingly bad seed, historically. No really strong wins and a very weak out of conference schedule. Of course, this won't matter when we win the ACC Tournament.

Is our thin Quad 1&2 resume entirely due to our weak OOC schedule, or was our ACC schedule really that mediocre? It just seems unlikely that even with an average difficulty schedule we would have played 7 more Quad 1 games.

Back