• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

You can certainly make the case that Cam’s ability to evade tacklers in the pocket influenced the referees to let him take harder hits. I think a better comparison than Brady is Ben Roethlisberger, who is nearly the same size as Cam at 6’5, 250. I wonder if Big Ben has been protected more by the referees than Cam has.

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Cam retiring? HOF prospects.

By front office, I meant the Panthers front office who kept lining up bums to protect Cam.

But yes, the NFL didn’t protect him either.

Cam hasn’t raped anyone to my knowledge so yes Big Ben has been protected more than Cam.

I can’t think of a single throw that I’ve been impressed with from darnold or thought “wow, he’s one of five that can make this throw”

Boy I have. Lots of them and I think Darnold sucks and never want to see him take another snap for the Panthers. I even saw at least one against Tampa Bay Sunday that I still cant get out of my head - a throw with amazing touch that he dropped in somehow over a DB to the Bucs sideline late in the game. I think it was Marshall who caught it but only got one foot down in bounds. To my eyes this season, he has made a lot of throws that showed a rare ability but that's about it from him.

A low IQ unsteady QB who “can” make throws other QBs can’t make us a bad combination. I’d much rather have a high IQ steady QB who can’t make all the throws.

You can certainly make the case that Cam’s ability to evade tacklers in the pocket influenced the referees to let him take harder hits. I think a better comparison than Brady is Ben Roethlisberger, who is nearly the same size as Cam at 6’5, 250. I wonder if Big Ben has been protected more by the referees than Cam has.

I preface my remarks by saying I hate the Steelers. The answer is the zebras absolutely did not protect Ben and allowed him to take big hits. Remember also he was somewhat mobile earlier in his career in that he moved well around the pocket and could get outside of it to make unscripted throws. Now, he's a statue like Brady and he just gets rid of the ball quickly.

We need help on the offensive line if we ever hope to properly evaluate a quarterback.

we either need to tank for Stroud or Bryce Young OR hire a HC that can bring Russell Wilson

those are the only decent options imo

You'd rather start the guy who shouldn't even be given the option of throwing a pass?

Guitardeac is (obviously) right. Darnold throws some beautiful balls, and there's a reason he was drafted third overall. The problem, as Ph observes, is that he doesn't have the awareness, IQ, poise, or mental traits to avoid melting down and throwing the game away.

from 2009 to 2021, Big Ben got 29 roughing the passer penalties - comes out to about 0.16 per game

Cam got 35, or about 0.23 per game

What is crazy about this though - is that Cam got ZERO calls in 2015, his MVP season - followed by 2 in 2016, 3 in 2017, and 3 in 2018. So I think you could argue that it has been open season on Cam since 2015.

Sauce: https://www.nflpenalties.com/roughing-the-passer-by-qb.php?

this is crazy - Matt Ryan is far, far ahead of all other QBs with 54 total roughing the passer penalties, followed by Ryan Fitzpatrick at 52 (in 70 less game) and next closest is Rodgers at 38

Jesus Christ. Now I’m even more pissed than I was before.

How does one “steal” touchdowns? That makes no sense. Gawd old whites are the worst at sportz.

Presumably it would be a zone read where Cam keeps instead of handing off, or where Cam audibles out of a run play into a keeper?

we either need to tank for Stroud or Bryce Young OR hire a HC that can bring Russell Wilson

those are the only decent options imo

He ain't coming to Charlotte (as nice as Charlotte is). He either will go to a big metro that wifey will like or a place where he can win right away. I was thinking NYG with Seattle getting Jones as part of the deal, but if they're keeping Judge and Jones, then I'm thinking NO. NO was on his list last year, has a great D, Payton, a healthy Thomas and no QB. Wilson makes NO an immediate SB contender. That said, I still think you have a shot at Watson, especially with Hurts and Tua playing well.

The 1 thing that concerns me a bit about Young, similar to Corral, is size. Young is 6' even and < 200 pounds, so he'll have to be smart like Wilson and Murray.

Back