• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

First round QBs are typically drafted high meaning they also come into bad situations.

I used percentage as the basis for my post. Obviously the list of busts at QB is far longer than the list of bad college coaches because several teams take QBs every year and few teams hire college coaches.

Ph said 1st round QB picks have a better record of success than college coaches to the NFL. That's just not correct. Its not. Has zero to do with Tepper/Panthers but I mentioned them because he was questioning why they would trust Rhule over a QB at pick 8. I don't know, but it does seem to me like Tepper might be pretty good at weighing business risk. It just seems like he is. Of course the jury is out on Rhule and I'm at the top of the list on that.

IMO the Darnold acquisition was stupid. Just plain stupid. I think he's going to pretty much suck. I am not hearing that he looks like the answer. Let me put it this way. He has not been a surprise to the upside, that's for sure. His days at the Jets aren't looking like a total fluke due to the lack of talent and coaching around him. Ugh. If he's a miss, a lot of that will fall on Joe Brady. It's my understanding he pushed hard for Darnold so there's that and if he can't bring out success in him with how he uses Darnold he owns that too.

I don't have any idea what the answer is. Watson would be a great player and I know the Panthers brass are certainly still interested. But that's a hard one to see actually working out. So I don't know. I guess it's time to cross fingers and hope Darnold is good enough at least for a while. If I wasn't an even bigger Packers fan than Panthers I would hope for a couple of years of A.A. Ron.

Why is Watson a hard 1 to see working out? Reading the tea leaves, A-aron is likely headed to Denver in the offseason. If Hurts has a decent season, Philly might find it difficult to justify handing Houston a ton of 1st round picks. And they would be the team you can't outbid for Watson because of all their draft capital. So just root for Hurts and Tua to have solid seasons.

Why is Watson a hard 1 to see working out? Reading the tea leaves, A-aron is likely headed to Denver in the offseason. If Hurts has a decent season, Philly might find it difficult to justify handing Houston a ton of 1st round picks. And they would be the team you can't outbid for Watson because of all their draft capital. So just root for Hurts and Tua to have solid seasons.

Maybe you've missed the part about the FBI investigating him?

All I’m saying is that assessing business risk is a different skill from appraising football talent, not to mention strategizing how to build a football team. But people tend to conflate them. As though being an owner automatically makes you qualified to be a coach or GM also.

I appreciate that Tepper is involved and cares about the team - you hate when owners don’t care about on field success. But owners can often meddle or be too close/emotionally invested in day to day operations. This attitude of “he’s assessed business risk well so we’d better trust him” is misguided.

Maybe you've missed the part about the FBI investigating him?

Isn't the issue they're looking at the possible extortion angle? The only other federal issue I can think of would be maybe trafficking for cases that crossed state lines. I get that he's not tradable until at least all federal and state criminal investigations have been completed and maybe not until the suits are resolved. Probably won't happen before this season's trade deadline, but likely by the offseason.

All I’m saying is that assessing business risk is a different skill from appraising football talent, not to mention strategizing how to build a football team. But people tend to conflate them. As though being an owner automatically makes you qualified to be a coach or GM also.

I appreciate that Tepper is involved and cares about the team - you hate when owners don’t care about on field success. But owners can often meddle or be too close/emotionally invested in day to day operations. This attitude of “he’s assessed business risk well so we’d better trust him” is misguided.

Yeah Jerry Jones also has eleventy billion dollars from business and that translated to knowing fuck all about running a team.

All Tepper needs to know is how to hire the right people to run the franchise. Hell, all he really needs to know is how to hire one or two people to run the franchise and let them hire who the hell they want.

Traded a conditional 7th to the Giants for kicker Ryan Santoso. Looks like he's maybe played in 1 game?

Santoso played at Minnesota and he's apparently 6-5/260. He's bigger than Cam.

https://www.panthers.com/news/panthers-trade-for-kicker-ryan-santoso

The Panthers have traded a conditional seventh-round pick to the New York Giants for kicker Ryan Santoso. The seventh-round pick they owned originally belonged to the Dolphins, and will be the higher of the Titans or Patriots seventh-rounders next year (as long as Santoso plays in two games here).

feels like a bit of a red flag if you've only kicked in like one game since the 2018 season.

I wasn't saying and didn't say or imply that Tepper's business acumen and risk assessment abilities made him know who to choose in drafts or coaches. Not at all. He doesn't need to be assessing talent and to my knowledge he doesn't do much if any of that at all. But it probably translates well to being able to be pretty good at weighing risk in terms of if choosing a QB in the first round - all other things being equal - is riskier than necessary or not. And Tepper didn't even decide that - but he had an opinion on it which was the same as Rhule and Fitterer. Had it not been the same as what those two believed, my guess is the Panthers would have maybe selected a QB. Same with whether or not to hire a college coach vs what else is available from the NFL. I lean toward Tepper being qualified for that assessment of risk as well. All he has ever done every moment of every work day is weigh risk (every trade every day) and my point is that it seems like he's probably done pretty well at that. NFL owners should pretty much stay out of talent assessment and again to my limited knowledge Tepper does stay out of it.

He does seem to decide things like if he wants a franchise QB like Watson or maybe Stafford. Things that have to do with how he envisions the team's direction moving forward. That seems to me to be in line with what an owner should be doing. His vision, and let the GM and coach find the guys that fit it. Watson is obvious enough as a talent that my labrador retriever could pick him out as a stud talent.

I wasn't saying and didn't say or imply that Tepper's business acumen and risk assessment abilities made him know who to choose in drafts or coaches. Not at all. He doesn't need to be assessing talent and to my knowledge he doesn't do much if any of that at all. But it probably translates well to being able to be pretty good at weighing risk in terms of if choosing a QB in the first round - all other things being equal - is riskier than necessary or not. And Tepper didn't even decide that - but he had an opinion on it which was the same as Rhule and Fitterer. Had it not been the same as what those two believed, my guess is the Panthers would have maybe selected a QB. Same with whether or not to hire a college coach vs what else is available from the NFL. I lean toward Tepper being qualified for that assessment of risk as well. All he has ever done every moment of every work day is weigh risk (every trade every day) and my point is that it seems like he's probably done pretty well at that. NFL owners should pretty much stay out of talent assessment and again to my limited knowledge Tepper does stay out of it.

He does seem to decide things like if he wants a franchise QB like Watson or maybe Stafford. Things that have to do with how he envisions the team's direction moving forward. That seems to me to be in line with what an owner should be doing. His vision, and let the GM and coach find the guys that fit it. Watson is obvious enough as a talent that my labrador retriever could pick him out as a stud talent.

“I’m not saying Tepper’s business-risk acumen makes him good at assessing football talent, but it’s helpful in determining how we should go about obtaining football talent at the quarterback position.”

Fit waived the kicker he brought in the other day.

“I’m not saying Tepper’s business-risk acumen makes him good at assessing football talent, but it’s helpful in determining how we should go about obtaining football talent at the quarterback position.”

Thanks. My mother was an elementary school english teacher for 35 years (many at Whitaker in W-S) so I'm used to the red ink marking up my work. Amazing I made it through Wake and nobody is more amazed than her. I tend to be verbose because I've learned on here you better plug up any potential holes that can be found or twisted. I appreciate the assistance.

Slye is going to have a hard time coming back from the shanks. You have to have a kicker you trust.

To be fair, I wasn’t seeking to be annoying by condensing your message. I was seeking to be annoying by pointing out its inherent hypocrisy. But, like I said, the jury is still out and we will see where this coaching and ownership regime ultimately lead us.

Back