• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

They only did 3 FG drills?

Fit brought in a new kicker yesterday. He could have drafted a kicker to replace our shaky kicker but he drafted a long snapper to replace a guy who hasn’t messed up in like 10 years.

We had Butker and just let him go. Crazy. The one thing G-Man got right.

What a mess.

Graham Gano went 31 of 32 last year with a long of 55 yards.

Butker went 25 or 27 last year including 4-4 from 50+.

I'm not arguing with you, but Gano went 5 of 6 from beyond 50.

Slye was 1 for 6 from that range.

Regarding kickers, we need to employ George Costanza's "opposite day" logic. Whatever seems to make sense regarding a kicker decision, do the opposite.

Or it could be that our coaching staffs put our kickers in a bad head space (kill confidence), and court their inevitable failure.

It's crazy how shook Sam Howell looked in the 2019 Wake game for the first half+. Couldn't find open guys, took a bunch of sacks, just looked terrible. Dude is legit though.

Traded Perryman to the Raiders? Don’t know anything about the situation but perhaps we were just gonna cut him

Official 2021 Carolina Panthers - Preseason #3 vs. Steelers on Friday at 7:30

Good . Get rid of every unvaccinated player on the team bc I want guys who are serious about winning. ( except mccaffery, he can stay)

Traded him and a 7th for a 6th

Good move. Given all the 6th round compensatory picks, that could be a decent jump. MLB is still a major weakness in what should be a good defense. Right now, we’ve got 2018 5th round pick Jermaine Carter who has several starts since Luke retired and behind him it’s Clay Johnston, one of Rhule’s Baylor boys and UFA Paddy Fisher.

It's crazy how shook Sam Howell looked in the 2019 Wake game for the first half+. Couldn't find open guys, took a bunch of sacks, just looked terrible. Dude is legit though.

This will always be my memory of Howell. I was watching with a UNC alum buddy from Deacon Hill and I couldn't believe how bad he was. When then left at halftime to go drink down the road because the game seemed over, and I didn't watch much of the second half.

So in my mind, Sam Howell suckssssssss

I saw Russell Wilson play twice when he was at NC State when they played the Gamecocks and the Pack scored 3 points total in the two games. I though Wilson sucked.

First round QBs have a much better track record of success in the NFL than college head coaches.

Let's see. You list the coaches that came from college to be NFL head coaches that were busts. And I will list the QBs drafted in the first round that were busts. And lets see who runs out of names faster. Yes, your list of picks that worked out ok will be longer than the list of college to NFL coaches that were successful. No doubt. But the point is NFL teams miss on 1st round QB picks ALL THE TIME which means it must be a very difficult thing to evaluate. It also probably means NFL teams force the issue when needing a QB which Panthers didnt want to do.

Point being, first round QB picks are extremely common which means team after team after team every year is missing on their first QB pick. Its like the sun coming up. You have what maybe 15 tops college coaches that came to NFL as a head coach? I looked at the list, probably a third were really good, a third hard to say, and a third sucked. I think the real thing is that it's hard to get the hiring of a NFL head coach right at all regardless of where they came from. I bet the hiring of a head coach from an NFL assistant or fired head coach is probably even worse than THAT record of college coaches to NFL. What percentage of NFL head coaches (who didn't come from college) are not successful and get canned? Hell I bet it's worse than one coming from college. I don't even have to try to figure that out - I know it is.

100 or more (60 since 2000) 1st round QBs vs what like 15 coaches? There are a whole lot and I mean TONS of NFL teams that regret their 1st round QB pick. Many have been busts and most of the rest didnt live up to their draft position. Drafting a QB in the first round is probably the single most difficult thing to evaluate for the teams considering it. I just looked at the 60 QBs drafted in the first round since 2000. I easily counted at least 35 of them that no question the team that drafted would like a do-over. And you throw away that draft pick - its gone forever. Hire a coach that doesnt work out, and you can cut bait and grab another anytime you want. They are unlimited.

As far as coaches, who are usually coming into a bad situation where a team his been losing, are typically up against it for that reason. Their records will typically be a tough go for a while. Jimmy Johnson is a great example of that and I hope Rhule as well. You blow a pick in the 1st round and you have really blown it. It haunts you for years. Coaches are like bottled water. You can get them anywhere anytime. Heck you can replace them in the middle of their first season if you want. You havent really wasted anything. Waste that first round pick? You pay for that for a long time.

At the very least, one could say both are a crapshoot and hard to get right and both are risky. But NFL teams sure as hell better not blow that first round pick, especially if you pick at #8. You HAVE to get a STUD. The Panthers/Tepper whoever certainly had every reason not to trust a college QB and choose a college coach the previous year. Certainly the reverse could be true as well.

But give me a very successful college coach who has NFL experience and I'm good. No way do I consider that more risky than picking a QB in the first round. Tepper is way smarter than me and he certainly understands how to weigh business risk better than me as his bank account would seem to indicate. As every penny came from just that.

so what's the solution at QB assuming Darnold doesn't work out and they don't get Watson?

Have you considered that your apparent connection/access to Tepper is what steers you and this could possibly blind you? I mean your last statement - get ahold of yourself man.

At the end of the day it’s a results business and it’s perfectly fair to say that the jury is still out on the Tepper/Rhule experiment. We all love the Panthers and this would just be a good year to see some major strides.

Ph said 1st round QB picks have a better record of success than college coaches to the NFL. That's just not correct. Its not. Has zero to do with Tepper/Panthers but I mentioned them because he was questioning why they would trust Rhule over a QB at pick 8. I don't know, but it does seem to me like Tepper might be pretty good at weighing business risk. It just seems like he is. Of course the jury is out on Rhule and I'm at the top of the list on that.

IMO the Darnold acquisition was stupid. Just plain stupid. I think he's going to pretty much suck. I am not hearing that he looks like the answer. Let me put it this way. He has not been a surprise to the upside, that's for sure. His days at the Jets aren't looking like a total fluke due to the lack of talent and coaching around him. Ugh. If he's a miss, a lot of that will fall on Joe Brady. It's my understanding he pushed hard for Darnold so there's that and if he can't bring out success in him with how he uses Darnold he owns that too.

I don't have any idea what the answer is. Watson would be a great player and I know the Panthers brass are certainly still interested. But that's a hard one to see actually working out. So I don't know. I guess it's time to cross fingers and hope Darnold is good enough at least for a while. If I wasn't an even bigger Packers fan than Panthers I would hope for a couple of years of A.A. Ron.

Last edited:
Back