• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

it's one thing in college if you're seeing which of your QBs wins the job. if it happens in the pros it means you have 2 bad options. and if you draft a first round QB they will become your starter, with the incumbent either benched or let go.

We saw what Teddy is capable of on the field, which is to say, not much. Darnold may suck for us too, but we know Teddy sucked

We knew Teddy sucked before the season too. At least with Darnold there’s some hope that he can turn into something. Teddy was a known commodity & it was an awful signing at the time and remains so today.

Excellent point.

I think we have plenty of flexibility to take Fields or an LT or a CB depending on how it shakes down.
If we go with Fields and he's legit, the worst case is we spent two picks to kick the tires on a rental.

Hasn't Guitar basically said they're not taking a rookie QB? That's what I've been going on. But if they do pick Fields, Jones or Lance at 8 and then don't pick up the 5th year option on Darnold, then I mind that trade a whole lot less.

Hasn't Guitar basically said they're not taking a rookie QB? That's what I've been going on. But if they do pick Fields, Jones or Lance at 8 and then don't pick up the 5th year option on Darnold, then I mind that trade a whole lot less.

we picked it up the day we completed the trade.

we picked it up the day we completed the trade.

No. The Panthers were expected to do and still are. But they aren't picking it up until after the draft.

The Broncos are only paying $3M of Teddy's $7M.

The stories about the trade said the option was picked up but more recent ones have not reflected that. The deadline to do so, I think, is 2 days after the draft.

The Panthers had an option on Bridgewater for 2022 that was voided in the trade and renegotiated contract. If the Panthers didn't pick up the option B'water was $5 million in dead cap.

Seems like a no-brainer that Panthers will pick up Darnold's fifth year unless he gets benched mid-season 2021.

No. The Panthers were expected to do and still are. But they aren't picking it up until after the draft.

The Broncos are only paying $3M of Teddy's $7M.

This would make way more sense. As for the salary, I think that's for the $10 that was guaranteed. I'd assume Denver is picking up the remainder. Denver has said they could still take a QB, though I think this trade makes it less likely, and they're making this year a referendum on Lock.

The Panthers had an option on Bridgewater for 2022 that was voided in the trade and renegotiated contract. If the Panthers didn't pick up the option B'water was $5 million in dead cap.

Seems like a no-brainer that Panthers will pick up Darnold's fifth year unless he gets benched mid-season 2021.

You have to decide on the 5th year option by 5/3/21. That's why teams have started doing that this week.

Yeah, I had that straight in my head and then posted something stupid because I was still thinking about picking up Bridgewater's option.

We knew Teddy sucked before the season too. At least with Darnold there’s some hope that he can turn into something. Teddy was a known commodity & it was an awful signing at the time and remains so today.

I think there was some optimism (a bit) with Teddy since he did well for the Saints the season before. Granted there was a lot of talent around him, but he did go undefeated.

We knew Teddy was decent enough. He was solid. Then he got injured. He came back and he was not good at all.

Johnathan Jones reported the day the trade happened that the Panthers would pick up the 5th year option, thats where folks are getting that from.

I have the latest scoop. Will come back in the morning to post more. If anyone wants to Pm me with a question I will look back in a little bit and try to answer. I can’t remember a couple of the names the Panthers will draft after the 1st round and I have to take a few minutes and look up the players to remind myself those who those players are. Will do that by am.

Real quick: as I have posted many times, the Panthers are NOT going to draft a QB in the 1st round. That is not even being considered. They don’t like Lance, they don’t like Mac Jones, and I was just told that Fields is the last guy to the weight room and the first guy out and they want no part of a guy like that. Those were exact words. Too many examples of lazy QBs failing in the NFL. Has the physical tools but he isn’t a worker and that’s why he is dropping with most teams. Absolutely NO WAY they take a QB in round one so just move on from that thought. Pitts is the only guy in round one that they see as a program changer so they don’t care about having pick 8 unless he’s there. They want more picks.

I have known about the Teddy B to Denver deal for about 2 weeks. Couldn’t mention. It’s not something that just happened. Tepper is absolutely livid about Hurney’s contract he gave Bridgewater. Tepper is also mad at himself over that one. It was ok to bring him in but the contract was stupid. It they worked this Denver deal out to not really affect the cap and Tepper couldn’t give a rat’s ass over eating non cap money. I get that Tepper signed off in the deal and so did Rhule. But the problem was more the contract and Tepper and Rhule were new and didn’t know what the hell they were doing yet as far as contracts but Hurney should have known better with his experience. But they have wiggled out of it.

If the somewhat likely Pats deal happens, the Panthers will take a CB. Not an OL. It’s going to be a CB as the draft would likely fall right now. Might change if something odd happens again and I was told to remember that after everything I was told tonight. It can always change but this is exactly for sure where it is now. Sounds like they like Horn and Surtain and Caleb and they will wait to see how that falls. I really forgot to ask which one they like the best. I hate I did that.

They will take the Penn State tight end most likely in the 2nd round (he’s their favorite TE and sorry I am forgetting names after he told me this stuff) and and OL in the 2nd round and the one they like the most as far as likely to be there in the 2nd round is the Alabama tackle. Geez I forget his name too and maybe someone can fill in these blanks with the names. Or I will by tomorrow. They want a TE and an offensive lineman in the 2nd round. I swear it really sounded to me like they think that Pats deal is the way it’s going to fall. It’s like they are working everything based on that. I didn’t even ask if any other team is a possible trade partner. They love that deal and they should.

Panthers are thrilled they got a 6th round pick from Denver. They see that as a possible spot to get a backup QB. They still like Darnold but the door is still open on Watson if it can work out.

I am told - and again it could change if something odd happens - that the only way they keep the 8th pick is of Pitts falls. Very unlikely obviously. As of now the Patriots are the leading candidate still to trade with. We would get their 2nd round pick and their 1st next year. But I guess that only happens if the QB they have their eye on will be around at 8. But that’s the deal and it’s been like that a while.

Be back tomorrow with anything else I have.

Can’t edit post. But again PM with any question. Might be something I don’t feel like I should post but will be ok with in PM. Hope any info i have is fun and helpful for you guys. What I am passing on is absolutely real and fact but is fluid because the draft is so fluid.

Guitardeac >>>>> Cville who’s the only one that watches off-season nfl network. I do like the detail, really putting out your calls and making them known.

Back