• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Fitness / Weight-Loss Accountability Thread - BACK FOR 2024!

guitar was a little shorter than me, weighs a few pounds less, but was several sizes less than me.

Anyone still getting JACKED?
Ugh, trying. Can't keep my low back feeling good - I have some sort of core/stabilizer weakness or dysfunction in my movement pattern that is leading to what I think is a QL strain when I deadlift, so I haven't been on the weights much. Running and riding the mtb until I get my back sorted and can get back to strength training. I'm seeing a PT on monday in hopes of figuring out how to fix whatever's going on with my back.

Injuries blow. Such a struggle to figure out whether to rest completely, taper certain activity, seek medical attention, or just push through it.

I've had both shoulders operated on for labrum tears and I'm really worried I reinjured one of them (diving for a ball like an idiot in a meaningless softball game). It has been 2 months and it gets better for a while and then inexplicably feels terrible... Usually if I sleep on that side the whole night.

I also feel like I have old man knees.

Can't imagine dealing with a nagging back injury. I've had back pain off and on, but it usually goes away with enough rest. That would be awful if it never went away.

trying to lift more, but yoga two or three times a week has done a lot for my hip and back pain — pain instances are way down and recovery time is way faster

it can be a little boring sometimes, but the results for me are undeniable

Starting seriously lifting for the first time with any real commitment this year. Definitely noticing a lot of #gains despite missing a couple of weeks with random viruses my 4 year old so lovingly brought home. Down about 20 pounds since February with significant increases in muscle mass. Running 3-4 days per week and lifting 3 days per week. Might lift more days this summer without having to get my kid ready and out the door for school.

Injuries blow. Such a struggle to figure out whether to rest completely, taper certain activity, seek medical attention, or just push through it.

I've had both shoulders operated on for labrum tears and I'm really worried I reinjured one of them (diving for a ball like an idiot in a meaningless softball game). It has been 2 months and it gets better for a while and then inexplicably feels terrible... Usually if I sleep on that side the whole night.

I also feel like I have old man knees.

Can't imagine dealing with a nagging back injury. I've had back pain off and on, but it usually goes away with enough rest. That would be awful if it never went away.
That sucks man! I mentioned this in another thread, but I've been having good results with Crossover Symmetry bands. Granted, I haven't had any real shoulder trauma, but they were feeling junky so I started using the bands and they are feeling much better.

With my back, this strain has been reliably happening once or twice a year for a couple of years now and every time it happens it lays me out for like 4-6 weeks until I just start lifting again. My wife is the one that finally convinced me to see someone in hopes of getting it sorted out so I'm losing less training time over the course of the year.

Starting seriously lifting for the first time with any real commitment this year. Definitely noticing a lot of #gains despite missing a couple of weeks with random viruses my 4 year old so lovingly brought home. Down about 20 pounds since February with significant increases in muscle mass. Running 3-4 days per week and lifting 3 days per week. Might lift more days this summer without having to get my kid ready and out the door for school.
How long does a lifting session take, and do you have a particular routine you follow? I need strength training like yesterday but don't know where to start. I do have access to a gym at my tennis club so the equipment is there. I even thought about getting a personal trainer

How long does a lifting session take, and do you have a particular routine you follow? I need strength training like yesterday but don't know where to start. I do have access to a gym at my tennis club so the equipment is there. I even thought about getting a personal trainer
I was in the same boat really unsure where to start. Most of the plans I had done before were event specific (ie running specific lifts and training for hikes and what not). I have found a lot of success with an app call Fitbod (stupid fucking name). I did a trial, and dropped the $80 on year subscription. What I like about it is that you can tailor your workouts to your goals and experience level. There are good video examples and text descriptions of each exercise in your routine. I generally do 45 min sessions, beginner, full body, build strength. So my routines are less technical moves, and each session typically has an exercise hitting arms, back, legs, glutes, and core. The AI is fairly rudimentary, but it builds on your progress and works toward increasing your weight and/or reps depending on your goals. You can also customize the equipment available at your gym, and it recommends replacements to suggested exercises if you can't/don't want to do them.

Find whatever works, but I would have never achieved some of the goals I have without something like that.

If you have no experience and can swing it, I think a few sessions with a trainer could help, mainly to just learn the mechanics of the lifts. Once you feel like you understand the movements and aren't going to hurt yourself, there are tons of different programs out there (free) depending on your goals and what you like. A bunch of us could help you come up with something. I recommend that you track your progress in some way. I use an app called Strong but there are lots of them.

I have an app called “Workout” that I use that I also paid a subscription for.

It lets you choose different programs based on goals, number of days, and available equipment.

Nice. Definitely going to look into these later today. My main activity is playing tennis but I think I can fit three weight sessions a week into my schedule.

I'm pretty boring in my training. I used to lift for vanity, but now that I have 3 kids and I'm getting older I'm focusing more on longevity and healthspan (Peter Attia type stuff).

I lift 3 days a week... Usually just Wendler stuff (Bench, Press, Squat, DL)
At least 3 days a week, I try to get my heart rate up for a while. Some jogging or rucking/hiking. I've also been playing some tennis lately, which doesn't quite get my heart rate up as high as I'd like, but it's also not as boring as running.
And then I'll mix in 2-3 high intensity workouts as a way to spend time with my wife. She does a website called Street Parking, which is pretty similar to CrossFit in its programming. She works out everyday, so if our schedules match up, we work out together (and she kicks my ass).

So I think I get a good mix of strength and cardio. I think I'd benefit from doing a wider variety of strength stuff, but I get some of that from the Street Parking workouts (lots of reps at lower weights). I also would like to do longer sessions of cardio, but it's is tough with the 3 kids.

Hovering around 205lbs right now, which is a good weight for me. Could probably get leaner, but then I'd have to really take the diet part of things a lot more serious... That's tough.

Alternatively, if you are a learn on youtube type, Jeff Nippard has some good workout fundamentals and techniques videos on his channel.

If you have no experience and can swing it, I think a few sessions with a trainer could help, mainly to just learn the mechanics of the lifts. Once you feel like you understand the movements and aren't going to hurt yourself, there are tons of different programs out there (free) depending on your goals and what you like. A bunch of us could help you come up with something. I recommend that you track your progress in some way. I use an app called Strong but there are lots of them.
This is what I did. Though i ended up keeping the personal training longer than I anticipated. It helped just having sessions on the calendar that kept me accountable.

Glad to see all the fit bros bro’ing out. I’ve been lifting for 1.5 years pretty consistently.

is stronglifts 5x5 still considered a good baseline lifting program?
It's definitely a good place to start. The only thing I would be concerned about is the overhead press because it's so easy to hurt yourself if you're doing too much or not doing it correctly.

I subscribe to Jim Stoppani. $14.99 per month (free for military and maybe retired military i believe) pretty easy to follow app ranging from beginner to advanced workouts. Tons of articles on his website around nutrition as well.
To echo others. Find something that you feel comfortable with. Even if you start by just doing 3 days a week, 20 minutes of lifting. then increase it a little bit over time. Be consistent, have fun with it...and don't be the guy in some gen Z-ers tiktok video creeping on girls at the gym

I subscribe to Jim Stoppani. $14.99 per month (free for military and maybe retired military i believe) pretty easy to follow app ranging from beginner to advanced workouts. Tons of articles on his website around nutrition as well.
To echo others. Find something that you feel comfortable with. Even if you start by just doing 3 days a week, 20 minutes of lifting. then increase it a little bit over time. Be consistent, have fun with it...and don't be the guy in some gen Z-ers tiktok video creeping on girls at the gym

Sounds like something you may have learned from experience.

Back