• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Fitness / Weight-Loss Accountability Thread - BACK FOR 2024!

I wasn’t in the best shape of my life (grad school/work etc.), but not terrible until I exploded my collarbone mountain biking in early november. So I haven't hardly been able to do shit since then. Got my 6-week post surgical visit on Thursday, though, and will hopefully get the go ahead to start gymning again.

Would like to lose ~7 pounds and trade fat for muscle, the usual.

Oh man, ouch. Heal well.

It's actually been a breeze. My body excels at being injured. Didn't have any pain with the injury (even though it was hella displaced), haven't taken as much as a Tylenol since 3 days post-op. I'm just itching to get going again since I feel normal. ¯\(ツ)

I'm a little over a month into doing Peloton workouts and intermittent fasting. I'm feeling good, but it's a challenge to fit my desire to workout and fast in the morning.
Scheduled my physical test to become firefighter for March 4th, so I have a solid two months to prepare. Let’s go!
That's great!

You could take the first post on this thread and change it from '21 to '24 and it's the exact same but I'm 3 years older (45).

Arguably in better shape than I've ever been, but I'm also facing the reality that it's a long (hopefully) downhill slide from here.

Only time in my life I've ever been serious about fitness was in the 2 years after my cancer treatments, 11 years ago. I was doing a lot of running then and did a couple of half marathons. In 2023 I've been gyming it ~3 times a week since July. I usually do ~35 minutes on the treadmill and then some weights and abs for 30-40 minutes. I started this because my wife wanted to join a gym and I was worried she might pull a Mrs. Creamy and "meet a personal trainer." So, I am on the treadmill about 3.5 miles with about 28 minutes of full-on running, I'm doing 5K in about 27 minutes. I've never had any formal instructions on how to lift weights or what to do; I really don't know what I'm doing but I'm definitely stronger. I lost about 14 lbs in the first 3 months but now I've gained back 8. I am guessing/hoping that is muscle vs fat but it's a bit frustrating. Especially since my Doctor said in November "You're on the wrong side of the upper BMI threshold and you should lose about 10 lbs. You're 45 now and need to start taking that more seriously." Also my blood pressure has gone up a lot in the last two years, but I have this weird pattern that my right arm is about 10-20 mmhg higher on the right compared to the left...wtf? Gotta study that a little bit more.

You could take the first post on this thread and change it from '21 to '24 and it's the exact same but I'm 3 years older (45).

Arguably in better shape than I've ever been, but I'm also facing the reality that it's a long (hopefully) downhill slide from here.
Feels like the majority of the downhill slide is getting injured from absolutely nothing.

I pulled something in my back. All I can figure out was I was doing lazy squats.

Only time in my life I've ever been serious about fitness was in the 2 years after my cancer treatments, 11 years ago. I was doing a lot of running then and did a couple of half marathons. In 2023 I've been gyming it ~3 times a week since July. I usually do ~35 minutes on the treadmill and then some weights and abs for 30-40 minutes. I started this because my wife wanted to join a gym and I was worried she might pull a Mrs. Creamy and "meet a personal trainer." So, I am on the treadmill about 3.5 miles with about 28 minutes of full-on running, I'm doing 5K in about 27 minutes. I've never had any formal instructions on how to lift weights or what to do; I really don't know what I'm doing but I'm definitely stronger. I lost about 14 lbs in the first 3 months but now I've gained back 8. I am guessing/hoping that is muscle vs fat but it's a bit frustrating. Especially since my Doctor said in November "You're on the wrong side of the upper BMI threshold and you should lose about 10 lbs. You're 45 now and need to start taking that more seriously." Also my blood pressure has gone up a lot in the last two years, but I have this weird pattern that my right arm is about 10-20 mmhg higher on the right compared to the left...wtf? Gotta study that a little bit more.
We learned in EMT class that your blood pressure is higher on your dominant arm than your non dominant arm

Does anyone do the ice bath/cold plunging thing? I can’t tell if it’s a scam or not.

Does anyone do the ice bath/cold plunging thing? I can’t tell if it’s a scam or not.
Never tried it, but I know physical therapists / trainers who swear by cryo.

I can say that I recover better after very cold runs than I do with warmer runs.

Feels like the majority of the downhill slide is getting injured from absolutely nothing.

I pulled something in my back. All I can figure out was I was doing lazy squats.
I hurt my neck the other day when I bumped my head adjusting my son’s car seat.

I hurt my back because I spent too long bending over doing a jigsaw puzzle (followed by actual exercise, but still).

I’ve done it. It’s not a scam and makes a lot of sense. Inflammation is one of the things that is damaging to the body. The cold plunge helps limit inflammation…boosts metabolism also. Science shows benefits

Inflammation in of itself is not a bad thing. There are some times when inflammation is good for your body because it increases blood flow and brings healing factors to the site of an injury. If you work out hard and you’ve created microtears in your muscles to go for hypertrophy then you want some level of inflammation afterwards to bring those healing cells to the muscle fibers to let them build back up.

The problem is when the body for whatever reason is in a constant low state of inflammation. That can lead to health problems.

"inflammation" has become a catch-all term that seems to justify a lot of snake oil products and procedures

Inflammation in of itself is not a bad thing. There are some times when inflammation is good for your body because it increases blood flow and brings healing factors to the site of an injury. If you work out hard and you’ve created microtears in your muscles to go for hypertrophy then you want some level of inflammation afterwards to bring those healing cells to the muscle fibers to let them build back up.

Good to see some validation for my #feelings: when I’m muscle sore in my legs from running Ive never taken advil or anything bc I want the blood flowing.

Back