• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

is TCU a good school? I know nothing of them other than their football is decent and they poached Jamie Dixon in bball.

is TCU a good school? I know nothing of them other than their football is decent and they poached Jamie Dixon in bball.

Academically its similar to State or Iowa, better for teachers. Its in a great recruiting area and there is no reason they can't have continued success with a new coach.

Really wish the search function on this was better, and I could find the exchange I had with someone who said Patterson was not on the hot seat this year.

According to The Athletic, Sonny Dykes (SMU) is the frontrunner for TCU.

"Even though Dykes grew up in Lubbock (he’s the son of Tech legend Spike Dykes), it’s widely believed that TCU has better resources and a stronger recruiting base than Texas Tech and would be the more attractive job. The news that TCU was opening feels like a big blow to Texas Tech."

UTSA's Jeff Traylor would likely be the guy at whichever school (TCU/Texas Tech) doesn't end up with Dykes.

Billy Napier (Louisiana) also a potential TCU candidate, but more likely a VT target if they fire Fuente.

Mentions Mike Elko as a TCU candidate, as well... Should he want to be a head coach.

Also heard an interesting thought that Fuente might be interested in one of these gigs as a way to jump ship from VT before he can get fired. He's an Oklahoma guy, used to be a TCU assistant, and considered Baylor a few years ago.

Patterson made them from nothing to an occasional top-25 team. The firing may be justified, but letting him go mid-season is a low-class move. That makes LSU, USC, Texas Tech, Washington State, and now TCU the "prime" available jobs. Add Penn State if Franklin leaves, Va Tech if they let Fuente go at the end of the season and Liberty if Freeze takes one of the available jobs. Fickell isn't likely to leave Cincy. Traylor just signed a 10-year $28M extension at UTSA (which won't prevent him from leaving if he really wants to) and then there's Chadwell at Coastal who may be lured away to fame and fortune elsewhere. So who goes where?

He was offered the opportunity to finish out the season and declined, from what I read.

Agree with that. Think PSU gets worked tomorrow night. This also explains why Franklin's agent is already negotiating terms with USC: a) his stock will drop as the season goes on; b) PSU may be considering their options as well (Franklin's seat was getting warm last year when they started out 0-4).

Franklin's seat was never warm. He still has about $30 million guaranteed. The administration loves him and the players' parents do as well. Currently the #3 ranked recruiting class with the #1 RB (Singleton) and #1 QB (Allar) according to some sites. His biggest weakness tends to be in-game decisions at times. There is part of the fanbase that wants him gone, but that will be true at Georgia too if Kirby Smart doesn't win it all this year.

Penn State is woefully behind on facilities and Franklin has to battle every year for additional financial commitments. Franklin is on record as saying that he wants to be the first black head coach to win an FBS national championship. If Franklin does leave, it will be because he believes the school he goes to has a stronger commitment to their football program and helping him achieve that goal.

Also heard an interesting thought that Fuente might be interested in one of these gigs as a way to jump ship from VT before he can get fired. He's an Oklahoma guy, used to be a TCU assistant, and considered Baylor a few years ago.

Makes sense and smart for him to move before he gets canned and stock goes down.

Franklin's seat was never warm. He still has about $30 million guaranteed. The administration loves him and the players' parents do as well. Currently the #3 ranked recruiting class with the #1 RB (Singleton) and #1 QB (Allar) according to some sites. His biggest weakness tends to be in-game decisions at times. There is part of the fanbase that wants him gone, but that will be true at Georgia too if Kirby Smart doesn't win it all this year.

Penn State is woefully behind on facilities and Franklin has to battle every year for additional financial commitments. Franklin is on record as saying that he wants to be the first black head coach to win an FBS national championship. If Franklin does leave, it will be because he believes the school he goes to has a stronger commitment to their football program and helping him achieve that goal.

Mel Tucker is hanging out like

Academically its similar to State or Iowa, better for teachers. Its in a great recruiting area and there is no reason they can't have continued success with a new coach.

Really wish the search function on this was better, and I could find the exchange I had with someone who said Patterson was not on the hot seat this year.

This?

aTm has done in the SEC exactly what they did in the Big XII, which is be mediocre with a couple good years. TCU is slipping badly now. There was a time when Patterson was a top 5 coach in CFB. He has now reached Jim Grobe levels of complacency. It's easy to forget that he also inherited a program in very good shape from Franchione (who, oddly enough, proceeded to go to aTm and be terrible). So it's largely coaching that's the difference here, with TCU having a few outlier years where they were a very well coached football team punching above their weight. aTm consistently pulls better recruiting classes and should be better than they are.

I think this is similar to the point I was alluding to. While in the early to mid 2000's TCU was an impressive outsider, they are now middle of the pack. And while A&M has been middle of the pack for most of the 2010's, Jimbo has them pretty well stacked now, and poised for a measure of success in the SEC. I think you are going to start seeing A&M be at that top 10 level for the next couple years, while its going to be awkward at TCU for the next couple of years while they try and find a way to let Patterson go with some dignity. The Grobe comparison works particularly well.

All to say when the Big 12 grabbed TCU they grabbed a team that added to their brand, and while they attempted to do that with UCF or Cin, they may have missed the mark.

We shall see. TCU had a ton of injuries last year. They are solid this year. You may have to revise your assessment of the Horny Toads.

Didn't expect Helton to have a new job before USC vacancy is even filled.

That is some FU money right there.

McLane is reportedly worth $3 billion and he's 85. He can't take the money with him; so, completely believe it. If any school would hire Briles, it would be a second-rate Texas school. FWIW, Briles is among the few coaches that fundamentally changed the way college football is now played. Would include Leach, Hal Mumme and John Jenkins on that short list.

Back