• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Republican Coup (Practice Run)

2021 Republican Coup (Attempt?)

Let me ask a simple/elementary question. Obviously there's no objective answer, but curious what you're thoughts are.

What percentage of cops are good vs bad in your mind and opinions. I'm on record that the police definitely doesn't seem to attract the "best and brightest", but the media really only shows us when a cop does something terrible or awesome. It's not like 90% of cops are "bad cops"...I'd go as far as to say weeding out the "bad cops" over time would be way more effective than abolishing the police.

I generally don’t think about individual cops as being good or bad, I think about law enforcement as an authoritarian system that furthers inequality by punishing poor and minorities. Delineating between good and bad cops is a diversion tactic of people who won’t acknowledge injustice as a systemic problem.

It’s not in a justice systems capability to absolutely determine someone’s biases, but it is the responsibility of a justice system to prevent those individuals biases being enforced. Our justice system not only fails to police individual biases, but it openly and blatantly encourages them. Cops aren’t chefs - they’re waiters, it doesn’t matter how nice the waiter is, if the food is rotten.

So I’ll turn the question around on you - how truly “good” can any cop be, enforcing a “bad” system?

Last edited:
"If it wasn't my job I would have done that for free. It was absolutely my pleasure to crush a white nationalist insurrection," Daniel Hodges told NBC. "I'm glad I was in a position to be able to help. We'll do it as many times as it takes."

More of that school of thought and the system can slowly but surely fix itself.

There's at least 1 good cop.

Wonder then what's the significance of that little spade symbol they both happen to be wearing?

I generally don’t think about individual cops as being good or bad, I think about law enforcement as an authoritarian system that furthers inequality by punishing poor and minorities. Delineating between good and bad cops is a diversion tactic of people who won’t acknowledge injustice as a systemic problem.

It’s not in a justice systems capability to absolutely determine someone’s biases, but it is the responsibility of a justice system to prevent those individuals biases being enforced. Our justice system not only fails to police individual biases, but it openly and blatantly encourages them. Cops aren’t chefs - they’re waiters, it doesn’t matter how nice the waiter is, if the food is rotten.

So I’ll turn the question around on you - how truly “good” can any cop be, enforcing a “bad” system?

Good post.

And even with respect to good vs bad cops, if there are any bad cops, the rest of the cops are bad at catching the bad guys.

you know, i haven't read a lot on this, but it occurs to me that people without any property or belongings seldom have need of police services - the only thing the police can do is protect their bodies from harm. Their interactions are almost always in a negative context - where the police are pursuing claims of the people WITH property, and those WITHOUT are potential criminals simply because they have nothing.

people with property are far more frequent "users" of police services. So they have more occasion to view police in a positive light ("they're helping me").

In other words, the police are an institution that by it's nature protects the wealthy over the poor.

I'm sure this has been said a million times already, but your post kind of lit that up for me.

I'm all for the right to own guns. Hunting, target practice, protection. Go for it.

But what kind of Country do we live in that armed individuals (AK-47?) with (likely) loaded assault guns are allowed on the steps of a State Capitol?

Fucked up if you ask me.

The last two posts are from conservative posters and are very encouraging. Mobile rep.

I'm all for the right to own guns. Hunting, target practice, protection. Go for it.

But what kind of Country do we live in that armed individuals (AK-47?) with (likely) loaded assault guns are allowed on the steps of a State Capitol?

Fucked up if you ask me.

It’s very fucked up. It’s a form of terrorism and unbelievable that’s it allowed at all much less in an age where active shooters are a constant source of danger.

how much does it cost, gun included, to outfit yourself head to toe in all that gear?

It’s very fucked up. It’s a form of terrorism and unbelievable that’s it allowed at all much less in an age where active shooters are a constant source of danger.

Well the Second Amendment is now established as an individual right to carry regardless of motive including to intimidate.

how much does it cost, gun included, to outfit yourself head to toe in all that gear?

Probably enough to actually save/impact a life with psychology resources, medications, education, etc.

In terms of the good cop/bad cop discussion, how many of the "good cops" feel it is their responsibility to root out/call out the bad cops? How many will actually do that?

This was actually a much lower turnout than anticipated-the Virginia Citizens Defense League largely did not show for some reason. However, something called the Ron Paul militia did show.

Well the Second Amendment is now established as an individual right to carry regardless of motive including to intimidate.

With all due respect, that's not accurate. I'm not educated on the specifics, but that shit is not happening in a State, say New York.

Back