• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Republican Coup (Practice Run)

This was actually a much lower turnout than anticipated-the Virginia Citizens Defense League largely did not show for some reason. However, something called the Ron Paul militia did show.

Not really surprised at the lower turnout. I believe there was supposed to be a right-wing "march/protest" in Washington State recently and the Governor called out the National Guard and the protest was then canceled by the sponsors. Many of these groups and individuals will likely wait until after the inaugural ceremonies - say February or March - when the heavy troop and police presence is gone to make any more serious moves on state capitols or DC. I guess we'll see in a couple of days how many of these "patriotic" folks are willing to confront the military forces now concentrated in DC.

2021 Republican Coup (Attempt?)

I'm all for the right to own guns. Hunting, target practice, protection. Go for it.

But what kind of Country do we live in that armed individuals (AK-47?) with (likely) loaded assault guns are allowed on the steps of a State Capitol?

Fucked up if you ask me.

You’re right. It is fucked up. You should also wonder why American right wing extremists masquerade as soldiers and feign military authority inorder to intimidate other Americans. I know perfectly well why these people open carry rifles, but why do so many of them dress like active duty soldiers? These people claim that their chief concern is 2nd amendment rights, but they could walk around with a rifle in jeans and t shirt if they wanted to.

I can tell you that basically zero BLM protestors were dressed like that to protest this summer.

Curiously it’s the All Lives Matter crowd that dresses like GI Joe.

what i wouldnt give to drop some of these wannabe cosplay snowflakes into Fallujah or Yemen. they would poop their pants in 15 minutes (if they weren't already dead by then)

My point in this tangent is that if you pay attention to the details there are deeper social concerns than just Trump and gun fanatics. As our economic mobility tightens and cultural liberalism progresses, white people, particularly white men, are having a privilege crisis. These men dress up as fake soldiers for the same reason that white “Karen’s” call the police on innocent black bird watchers and barbecues - to demonstrate power and control.

Non-rich White guys have *always* been especially attracted to politics and professions of authority because its the only access to power that doesn’t require wealth.

2021 Republican Coup (Attempt?)

I can only speak on this indirectly, but I remember that it’s highly discouraged to wear your military fatigues or uniform off-duty when you aren’t on base, because wearing it implies that you’re acting in an official capacity. Imagine an off duty police officer wearing their full uniform to a political rally. Hell, just think about what you do when you see a white Dodge Charger in your rear view mirror.

what i wouldnt give to drop some of these wannabe cosplay snowflakes into Fallujah or Yemen. they would poop their pants in 15 minutes (if they weren't already dead by then)

LOL. this is a great idea.

also, I would like to repeal the 2nd amendment. I never hear this discussed seriously - is that because it's a terrible idea or because it just has zero chance of going anywhere?

LOL. this is a great idea.

also, I would like to repeal the 2nd amendment. I never hear this discussed seriously - is that because it's a terrible idea or because it just has zero chance of going anywhere?

It has zero percent chance of ever happening. You couldn’t even get gun reform after Sandy Hook.

It has zero percent chance of ever happening. You couldn’t even get gun reform after Sandy Hook.

Exactly. You couldn’t even get the faintest of gun reform after sandy hook. It’s all just a non starter.

Although the calculus might be a little different the NRA coincidentally going bankrupt after the feds started sniffing around Russia connections.

Do democrats still need to learn the lessons of the 2016 election even if republicans still haven't learned the results of the 2020 election?

Republicans haven’t even learned that there was a real 2020 election.

Back