• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Republican Coup (Practice Run)

At the time it happened it felt as if 1/6 was either the beginning of something even worse than Trump's Presidency, or possibly the last gasp of the right-wing lunacy and white nationalism and all the rest that has been building up for a long time in American politics and society. It now seems clear that it was just the beginning, and we're likely to see other such events in the near future, and even more denial and/or outright support from most Republicans. I don't remember our government and societal institutions seeming so fragile and vulnerable in my memory, not even during Watergate or 9/11. Something very ugly seems to be building, even with Trump out of office and Republicans still on the defensive from the insurrection.

It’s the continuation of right wing violence as a tool of political power.

Isn't that the best play for the GOP here? Vote to acquit Trump, then have the libs throw him in Jail so he can't run, use the bases outrage to win in 2024?

Yes. But they’d have to sacrifice 17 Senators to make that happen. Maybe literal sacrifice to the crazed hordes.

Why would pubs have to sacrifice 17 Senators to acquit Trump?

At the time it happened it felt as if 1/6 was either the beginning of something even worse than Trump's Presidency, or possibly the last gasp of the right-wing lunacy and white nationalism and all the rest that has been building up for a long time in American politics and society. It now seems clear that it was just the beginning, and we're likely to see other such events in the near future, and even more denial and/or outright support from most Republicans. I don't remember our government and societal institutions seeming so fragile and vulnerable in my memory, not even during Watergate or 9/11. Something very ugly seems to be building, even with Trump out of office and Republicans still on the defensive from the insurrection.

I agree that the murderous rioting, insurrection, and anticipated Republican-sponsored acquittal of Trump mark a low, low point for modern Republicans. And see no way for them to move forward positively or constructively from an acquittal. Their destructive and dishonest mode of manipulating deceived people for power (they were practicing this "Trumpism" long before Trump took over) isn't going to improve. It needs to be increasingly exposed and hopefully they'll pay an escalating price at the ballots.

The sad fact is that these people will still vote republican using the excuse they are more afraid of the liberal commies than the reactionary republicans. I have a lot of friends who are registered independents but religiously vote republican. That Is how a minority party is consistently victorious or at the cusp of victory in every election.

In its article of impeachment, the Democrat-controlled House alleged that former president Donald Trump, by his “incitement of insurrection,” was responsible for murder. That is an essential rationale for impeaching Trump.

No it's not.

Clearly, if Officer Sicknick died because of something the rioters did, that is a serious matter. If that happened, former President Trump should be accountable, because he was instrumental in arranging the January 6 rally that turned violent, because he stirred up his supporters with provocative rhetoric, and because — as commander in chief of the armed forces — he failed to take action to repel the siege on the Capitol.

Trump was impeached for "incitement of insurrection," not incitement to murder. Here he acknowledges that Trump is guilty of that charge. But he's trying to frame it as he's off the hook if the rioters didn't kill anyone. "It's only insurrection if someone dies!"

The sad fact is that these people will still vote republican using the excuse they are more afraid of the liberal commies than the reactionary republicans. I have a lot of friends who are registered independents but religiously vote republican. That Is how a minority party is consistently victorious or at the cusp of victory in every election.

I disagree. I only know 2 Pub folks who voted for Trump and Good. The rest of my Pub friends and acquaintances voted for Biden, and most all of those also voted for Hillary in 2016. And yes, most of them probably would have voted for Denver Riggleman and Biden, had Good and his Liberty friends not rigged the Pub "convention". Establishment and libertarian Pubs and former Pubs hate Trump. The problem is that is now well less than 20% of the party, and the Lincoln Project and their ilk aren't anywhere close to reclaiming the soul of the party. And their threat to go 3rd party is probably idle in nature. Most of them will just continue voting for moderate Dems against Trumpy Pubs.

I disagree. I only know 2 Pub folks who voted for Trump and Good. The rest of my Pub friends and acquaintances voted for Biden, and most all of those also voted for Hillary in 2016. And yes, most of them probably would have voted for Denver Riggleman and Biden, had Good and his Liberty friends not rigged the Pub "convention". Establishment and libertarian Pubs and former Pubs hate Trump. The problem is that is now well less than 20% of the party, and the Lincoln Project and their ilk aren't anywhere close to reclaiming the soul of the party. And their threat to go 3rd party is probably idle in nature. Most of them will just continue voting for moderate Dems against Trumpy Pubs.

The folks in my study groups and close associates are 90% republican and independent and all voted trump. I will go with my statement.

Some witnesses would help here.

pubs get to sleep on what should be but likely won't be their historic vote to convict the emperor. :mad:

The folks in my study groups and close associates are 90% republican and independent and all voted trump. I will go with my statement.

My Pub friends and acquaintances are all college educated establishment or libertarian types. Most voted for Hillary in 2016. But then again, I live in the People's Republic of Cville. Where do you live?

My Pub friends and acquaintances are all college educated establishment or libertarian types. Most voted for Hillary in 2016. But then again, I live in the People's Republic of Cville. Where do you live?
All are docs and dentists, highly educated enough to know better, Greensboro.

Greensboro. Not even smart enough to get out of Greensboro.

Back