• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Football Season

It's just crazy that Coastal Carolina is higher ranked than any team in the ACC Coastal... or Atlantic. And that the mercenary warrior that the ACC is sending out to overtake them in the rankings is... Wake Forest. College football, man.

Coastal and Cincy are both overranked but it will all play out.

while i’m cautiously optimistic, i would say our play (particularly the last two weeks) have justified a ranking like that. im very hopefully we get past army and duke, but beyond that i’m expecting to be underdogs in most of the remaining games of the year.

I think the bye is coming at a massive time. Get healthy over the next two weeks. Work out some of the issues from the last two games and keep rolling.

The only explanation that makes any sense is that FPI relies too heavily on previous year results right? How else could this Clemson offense allow for them to be ranked as #7?

i assume that must be part of it, although in systems like these clemson is actually getting buoyed by their close losses to UGA and @NCSU.

if our game @clemson was next weekend, i think we’d definitely be double figure underdogs.

How do you explain North Carolina’s ranking and especially Miami’s? They have been absolute trash the past couple weeks.

That system isn’t designed to work with a small sample size. It balances out around Week 10 or so.

Our play the last two weeks absolutely does not justify being ranked below UNC and Miami.

FPI:Football Power Index that measures team's true strength on net points scale; expected point margin vs average opponent on neutral field.

Clemson’s FPI is 16.5 even though they haven’t beaten an FBS opponent by more than 6.

Miami’s is 8.3 and they have a lone 2 point FBS win over App.

Doesn’t make sense.

This is always appropriate (from CBS Sports):
Mack Brown's team is falling apart at the seams, and there's only further to drop with matchups against No. 14 Notre Dame, No. 19 Wake Forest and No. 23 NC State left.

Add @Pitt to the three games above and it is possible that UNC might not even be able to get bowl eligible in a season that they were supposed to go to the playoff. Could be the most overhyped team in recent memory.

if cuse had gone for 2 and made it at the end of regulation (very possible) our ranking by these systems would be essentially the same as it is now, but i think fan perception would be radically different.

part of this is just being a fan so no judgment, but it is interesting that as a fanbase largely spent the week up to the syracuse game feeing a bit offended at the lack of respect (the line being close, bettors picking against us, talking heads putting us on upset alert, etc), then just barely sneaking out a win (which does deserve praise and celebration), but then jumping right back into feeling disrespected — and getting upset when we are unable to meet some of those arguably unrealistically high expectations.

anyway, i still have high hopes but also tempered expectations (that i think we can surpass). agree with whoever said our bye is coming in at exactly the right time.

It is sweet to be 6-0.

We are probably going to lose to a team we "should" beat, unless we improve the defense or the offense becomes elite (top-15?)

I'm not sure what can be fixed on D. Greer back will help. Seems we have a lack of speed/recognition at some key positions. Not sure any scheme things can fix that.

Clawson needs to throw the kitchen sink at it, cause we may never see this good of a setup the rest of his career. The next 3 games are so winnable.

Wake is pretty balanced on offense. Sam and the receiving corps can go to the house on any play. The trio of running backs can go for chunks of yardage at any time as well. Let the fans of other teams complain about the slow mesh RPO all they want. Most opposing coaches find it hard to defend. The more Sam gets experience deciding which option to do on a given play, the better he gets at it and it becomes more difficult to defend.

Sam would help himself and his receivers if he could look off defenders a little more. He seems to really fixate on one side or the other.

Add @Pitt to the three games above and it is possible that UNC might not even be able to get bowl eligible in a season that they were supposed to go to the playoff. Could be the most overhyped team in recent memory.

Yesterday was the first time I’ve been nervous we might not pull out a W.

if cuse had gone for 2 and made it at the end of regulation (very possible) our ranking by these systems would be essentially the same as it is now, but i think fan perception would be radically different.

part of this is just being a fan so no judgment, but it is interesting that as a fanbase largely spent the week up to the syracuse game feeing a bit offended at the lack of respect (the line being close, bettors picking against us, talking heads putting us on upset alert, etc), then just barely sneaking out a win (which does deserve praise and celebration), but then jumping right back into feeling disrespected — and getting upset when we are unable to meet some of those arguably unrealistically high expectations.

Good post. Fandom is largely about delusion.

Back