• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Football Season

If he is back- BC on the road just became a heck of a lot harder game

In its 4 ACC games since Jurkovec has been out BC has scored:

Would like the Deacs chances against that offense. BTW, was thinking that the game on November 27th has a chance to be the coldest game in WF football history. WF did play in the Pinestripe Bowl in NYC December 2019, but it was not particularly cold that day.

Weird they'd bring him back this season with very little to play for.

Yeah at this point - he would play in more than 4 games and not preserve year of eligibility. Gotta believe he’s coming back to prep for NFL draft.

Excellent to hear.

David Hale slipping a bit of a gut bunch in there at the end of his article today, talking about the end of the Clawson era at Wake.

David Hale slipping a bit of a gut bunch in there at the end of his article today, talking about the end of the Clawson era at Wake.

I’d hate to see him leave after building something special here. BUT we’d be in a hell of a lot better shape looking for a coach this time around. Six straight bowl seasons, deep roster, massive facilities upgrades. I’d like to think we could find a pretty good replacement especially with our boy Currie out there slinging it around.

I’d hate to see him leave after building something special here. BUT we’d be in a hell of a lot better shape looking for a coach this time around. Six straight bowl seasons, deep roster, massive facilities upgrades. I’d like to think we could find a pretty good replacement especially with our boy Currie out there slinging it around.

The list of prospects is EXTREMELY fascinating to me and at the same time I don’t want to entertain thinking about it

I really don’t want to lose Claw. But if he moves on, Gary Patterson would be my first call. Dude knows a few things about winning at the small private school in the shadow of the behemoth state schools.

Definitely thought about him when he was let go but wonder if his best days are behind him. I’m guessing Currie would go for a proven but hungry up and comer. But again, let’s have this discussion in a decade!

I really don't think Clawson leaves for financial reasons. We have folks who can pony up the cash as seen very clearly last weekend.

The question will be does he want another rebuild challenge somewhere else and would he be a good fit for that program. Clawson is a 100% fit at Wake Forest and I really do believe he wants to continue building the program and his legacy at Wake.
Go to some of these other schools and they will not have CLOSE to the patience of a Wake Forest.

Not sure Claw jumps to another Power 5 school that will have little to no patience for a rebuild. Even the delusional crowd here in Columbia can't understand why Shane Beamer doesn't already have them at the top of the SEC East. And this is from a program with almost zero history of success.

Don't discount the scars that his experience at UT maybe left. At 54 years old do you want the horseshit that a program like LSU, Florida or USC brings?

Exactly. This is the time to enjoy what he’s built for the next 10+ years.

He can do some reflection about what didn’t work for Grobe after 2008. Based on comments he made this week, he seems to think it was facilities which have obviously improved.

Not sure Claw jumps to another Power 5 school that will have little to no patience for a rebuild. Even the delusional crowd here in Columbia can't understand why Shane Beamer doesn't already have them at the top of the SEC East. And this is from a program with almost zero history of success.

Don't discount the scars that his experience at UT maybe left. At 54 years old do you want the horseshit that a program like LSU, Florida or USC brings?

I don't think this point can be emphasized enough. I also know Clawson is very much about family and has openly praised Wake Forest Health for his wife's cancer treatment and care. I believe his parents live nearby in CLT.

It's called priorities and perspective and I think Dave has a ton of those.

If he keeps this up, he'll have a statue outside of Groves and he has job security pretty much until he retires. He goes somewhere like LSU and Bubba ain't about to hear any talk about program building. I just don't see him a fit at those type schools.

And I think the latest gift from Bob McCreary was HUGE in possibly keeping Dave at Wake. He has mentioned numerous times this week and how it has helped recruiting.

#beenwrongbefore

Exactly. This is the time to enjoy what he’s built for the next 10+ years.

He can do some reflection about what didn’t work for Grobe after 2008. Based on comments he made this week, he seems to think it was facilities which have obviously improved.

Here's an article from the CLT Observer which delves a bit into the end of Grobe's tenure and says the two spoke when he first came aboard. https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article255558801.html

Back