• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Wake Forest Football Season

The bulk of the ESPN article focused on building the program and going from good to great. As important, Clawson indicated that sustaining success over time was equally important and was a goal he hoped to accomplish. It read as if Clawson has goals he still wants to accomplish at Wake Forest and is perfectly happy with his present occupation. Plenty of money. People he likes and respects. Having fun.

lol everything I read about Clawson makes me think that he and TenaciousKory would be best friends

The bulk of the ESPN article focused on building the program and going from good to great. As important, Clawson indicated that sustaining success over time was equally important and was a goal he hoped to accomplish. It read as if Clawson has goals he still wants to accomplish at Wake Forest and is perfectly happy with his present occupation. Plenty of money. People he likes and respects. Having fun.

He made it clear this week, on several occasions, that the donation by McCreary was a huge boost. It might just be what keeps Dave at Wake. It sure as hell doesn't hurt.

He made it clear this week, on several occasions, that the donation by McCreary was a huge boost. It might just be what keeps Dave at Wake. It sure as hell doesn't hurt.

And it will sure as hell be a big boost in hiring a new coach if Clawson does leave.

And it will sure as hell be a big boost in hiring a new coach if Clawson does leave.

Oh yes. If he does leave, I would to think our ability to hire a great candidate would be much more competitive than in years past. For many reasons, including the football facilities.

Oh yes. If he does leave, I would to think our ability to hire a great candidate would be much more competitive than in years past. For many reasons, including the football facilities.

Yes, but I don't expect there are any other coaches that would run a slow mesh point RPO offense like ours, therefore we would have a painful adjustment period while said new coach got players in to run their system. I like the idea of Clawson being here until he retires much better. Another decade of success before the inevitable rebuild.

Yes, but I don't expect there are any other coaches that would run a slow mesh point RPO offense like ours, therefore we would have a painful adjustment period while said new coach got players in to run their system. I like the idea of Clawson being here until he retires much better. Another decade of success before the inevitable rebuild.

No argument here. I trust that Currie will handle this extremely well. Dave is an absolutely perfect fit for Wake Forest. Perfect. And his seat is colder than the north pole. He keeps this up, he may end up with a statue outside the stadium.

We don't even know if Clawson and Ruggiero will run the slow mesh in the future. Seems like they'll do whatever works.

Another thing that helps is big home crowds like last week. The students were great, please-please-please students keep it up!

We don't even know if Clawson and Ruggiero will run the slow mesh in the future. Seems like they'll do whatever works.

I think too much is made about how different we run our offense. Tons of teams run the RPO now, the RPO has a mesh, ours is different in that the mesh is only slightly longer than others. So, if we did have to bring in another coach, it would not be like Tech going from the option to the offense they’re playing now.

Another thing that helps is big home crowds like last week. The students were great, please-please-please students keep it up!

Next week has the potential to set an all-time attendance record. Let's just pray we don't have another Va Tech fiasco circa 2006. God what a mess that was. Wasn't it counterfeit tickets? I know in our section, people were literally sitting on the steps.

Next week has the potential to set an all-time attendance record. Let's just pray we don't have another Va Tech fiasco circa 2006. God what a mess that was. Wasn't it counterfeit tickets? I know in our section, people were literally sitting on the steps.

Yep, counterfeit tickets. I know there will be a lot of red, but I hope there will be a lot of black and gold. This team deserves it, regardless of what happens tomorrow.

I think too much is made about how different we run our offense. Tons of teams run the RPO now, the RPO has a mesh, ours is different in that the mesh is only slightly longer than others. So, if we did have to bring in another coach, it would not be like Tech going from the option to the offense they’re playing now.

Exactly.

Yep, counterfeit tickets. I know there will be a lot of red, but I hope there will be a lot of black and gold. This team deserves it, regardless of what happens tomorrow.

I pray and hope the Deacs are 9-0 if, for no other reason, I want to have seen it in my lifetime. And I want it to FORCE some of these national media clowns to start talking about this program. Why? Recruiting. HUGE deal.

But, if people don't show up for an 8-1 team then screw 'em.

They consistent issue both Grobe and Clawson overcame was lack of elite OL talent with both speed and size. They had different approaches. Elite universities like BC have been able to recruit NFL talent on the OL so there’s no reason it can’t be done at Wake.

I dunno about counterfeit tickets, but I do know plenty of recent grads got in on old student IDs.

Hopefully we've exceeded the statute of limitations on that...

And the funny thing is that game didn't even really matter, it was all going to come down to the Maryland game the next week anyway. Were we to win tomorrow there would be no real precedent for how big the State game would be

They consistent issue both Grobe and Clawson overcame was lack of elite OL talent with both speed and size. They had different approaches. Elite universities like BC have been able to recruit NFL talent on the OL so there’s no reason it can’t be done at Wake.

We’ve had NFL talent on both sides of the lines just not enough of it consistently and depth is always the problem for us. BC is a good example but they’ve had more success than we have historically and have a market for the Catholic HS kids that don’t go to ND- which produces a ton of linemen and LB’s. They have the opposite problem as us in that they need speed. I think a better goal for us is Stanford. Yes- we’re not an international research university in a huge market and we’re not in California but they were getting 4/5 star smart kids from all over the country early-mid 2010’s. Some of those classes were top 10/15 in the nation. No way we can’t get there (in time). Also- need to be a top 20 school consistently - not top 30.

Making a CFP run is the type of thing that can boost Wake’s academic rep.

I pray and hope the Deacs are 9-0 if, for no other reason, I want to have seen it in my lifetime. And I want it to FORCE some of these national media clowns to start talking about this program. Why? Recruiting. HUGE deal.

But, if people don't show up for an 8-1 team then screw 'em.

Well if we're 9-0 I'm flying cross country to see it just because it'll be a spectacle

Back