• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022-23 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Ryan Odom was supposedly a candidate for the USF job after USF didn't hire Mike Brey. Wake alum Michael Kelly is the USF AD and this looks like another shit show.

From The USF perspective meaning Kelley missed his man or Ryan turned him down?

No idea. But it doesn't look good not to make it work with a well-regarded coach and then fail to get the next guy. USF had the Steve Masiello debacle under the previous AD.

This potential list is not encouraging. Seth Greenberg is the only modern era USF hoops coach with a winning record, but he wouldn't be a good hire.

Ryan Odom was supposedly a candidate for the USF job after USF didn't hire Mike Brey. Wake alum Michael Kelly is the USF AD and this looks like another shit show.
Why in the hell would USF not hire Mike Brey?!?

Not sure. What I read said Brey was going to do TV. That makes sense. I expected him to do TV for a year and then take a major conference job and try to pull a Larranaga. I didn't expect him to go to a program that's rarely been good like USF.

Hiring Pastner would be too on the nose, but they may be desperate. The last name in that link may be worth a risk, their former PG who is AHC under Enfield at USC. If there is a next round of expansion USF would be a contender if they get their football and basketball programs together. Otherwise, they could get passed by FAU like they did by UCF.

Not sure. What I read said Brey was going to do TV. That makes sense. I expected him to do TV for a year and then take a major conference job and try to pull a Larranaga. I didn't expect him to go to a program that's rarely been good like USF.

Hiring Pastner would be too on the nose, but they may be desperate.
If it was Brey's decision not to pursue USF, makes much more sense.

oh man, I thought USF had actually hired Brey -- didn't realize it was never a done deal

VCU a better job than USF, so good on Odom

Same. I missed all of this until a friend texted me that USF was in line for Odom but he was taking VCU. Michael Kelly was a student at Wake and later worked in the AD in the Odom era. So he had a connection.

Mike Brey's best coaching days are behind him. He is the anti-Pitino or Larranaga. College coaching is all about working your ass off in recruiting, game-planning and program building (or program maintaining). There are older coaches that are still passionate about the game who will and can outwork other programs. Brey does not give that vibe.

While Brey seems like a good guy, his hustling days are long behind him, and his team's play reflect that. I would not hire him.

Good For AAR as I'm sure he's getting a big-time raise. That said, coaching USF men's basketball has derailed the careers of its last 4 coaches:

Robert McCullum (2003-7): Got the USF job after improving each of three years at Western Michigan. Crashed and burned at USF. After getting fired, McCullum bounced around through 4 assistant jobs; he is now the HC at HBU Florida A&M.

Stan Heath (2007-14): The cautionary tale of picking a coach because of NCAAT success. Coached one year at Kent State. Went 30-8 and took a MAC team to the Elite 8 (best player was future NFL stud Antonio Gates). Got the Arkansas job off his meteoric season at Kent State, but two NCAAT appearances in five season weren't good enough in F'ville. USF then hired Heath, and after 5 losing seasons in 7 years, USF fired Heath. With no colleges interested in Stan as a HC, Heath was hired as an assistant at BC and then coached the G League Lakeland Magic. In 2021, Heath got the E. Michigan job, and it hasn't gone well.

Orlando Antigua (2014-17): Antigua had built the rep as a recruiting guru as an assistant under Calipari at Memphis and UK. To say things went bad at USF for Antigua would be an understatement: Orlando was fired in the middle of the 2016-17 season, Antigua was 23-55 (7-30) at the time, and if that wasn't enough, an academic scandal was brewing within the program. After getting fired, Antigua worked as an assistant at Illinois before returning to KY to help Calipari land highly ranked classes which now disappoint every season.

Brian Gregory (2017-23): Gregory took the USF job after GT dismissed him for missing out on NCAAT bids on each of his 5 seasons in Atlanta. Gregory kept the NCAAT "0 for" streak going for six years at USF as Gregory managed one winning season over that span. Gregory had an weak overall record of 79-107 (33-72). Don't see Gregory getting another D1 coaching job again.

Pretty fair to say that the USF head job has been a career ender or at least a job that "puts a college basketball coach's career in reverse" for the last twenty years. I like AAR, and hope he bucks the trend, but if I was advising him, I might wait another year, for a better opportunity to build a career.

Last edited:
I’d be wary of a guy with one winning season, but USF needs a rebuild like it seems he pulled off at Kennesaw State. They’ve alternated between up and comers and retreads and nothing has worked.

Of course I should point out that USF is one of the worst programs in the country but they’ve made the Round of 32 more recently than Wake. They won as a 12 seed in the First Four and beat 5 seed Temple before losing to Groce’s Ohio team in 2012.

To be fair, “making the round of 32 more recently than Wake” is an even lower bar than being “one of the worst programs in the country”

Good For AAR as I'm sure he's getting a big-time raise. That said, coaching USF men's basketball has derailed the careers of its last 4 coaches:

Robert McCullum (2003-7): Got the USF job after improving each of three years at Western Michigan. Crashed and burned at USF. After getting fired, McCullum bounced around through 4 assistant jobs; he is now the HC at HBU Florida A&M.

Stan Heath (2007-14): The cautionary tale of picking a coach because of NCAAT success. Coached one year at Kent State. Went 30-8 and took a MAC team to the Elite 8 (best player was future NFL stud Antonio Gates). Got the Arkansas job off his meteoric season at Kent State, but two NCAAT appearances in five season weren't good enough in F'ville. USF then hired Heath, and after 5 losing seasons in 7 years, USF fired Heath. With no colleges interested in Stan as a HC, Heath was hired as an assistant at BC and then coached the G League Lakeland Magic. In 2021, Heath got the E. Michigan job, and it hasn't gone well.

Orlando Antigua (2014-17): Antigua had built the rep as a recruiting guru as an assistant under Calipari at Memphis and UK. To say things went bad at USF for Antigua would be an understatement: Orlando was fired in the middle of the 2016-17 season, Antigua was 23-55 (7-30) at the time, and if that wasn't enough, an academic scandal was brewing within the program. After getting fired, Antigua worked as an assistant at Illinois before returning to KY to help Calipari land highly ranked classes which now disappoint every season.

Brian Gregory (2017-23): Gregory took the USF job after GT dismissed him for missing out on NCAAT bids on each of his 5 seasons in Atlanta. Gregory kept the NCAAT "0 for" streak going for six years at USF as Gregory managed one winning season over that span. Gregory had an weak overall record of 79-107 (33-72). Don't see Gregory getting another D1 coaching job again.

Pretty fair to say that the USF head job has been a career ender or at least a job that "puts a college basketball coach's career in reverse" for the last twenty years. I like AAR, and hope he bucks the trend, but if I was advising him, I might wait another year, for a better opportunity to build a career.
Was just looking at this, too. In contrast to this, and to take the convo back to Odom holding out for VCU, VCU coaches over the past 20ish years have made the following moves:

Jeff Capel (2002-06) - hired by Oklahoma
Anthony Grant (2006-09) - hired by Alabama
Shaka (2009-15) - hired by Texas
Will Wade (2015-17) - hired by LSU
Mike Rhoades (2017-23) - hired by PSU

Obviously these next stops didn't go great for any of them (Rhoades is TBD), but if you're looking to climb the coaching ladder VCU is a no brainer. They haven't fired a coach in over 20 years and have only had to fire two in the program's 55 year history. USF has fired every coach in it's 42 year history with the exceptions being Bill Gibson, who died, and Seth Greenberg.

Back