• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022-23 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Will be interesting to see if the coaches at SDS and FAU take other jobs after this season.

Will be interesting to see if the coaches at SDS and FAU take other jobs after this season.

Very likely to happen as their value as a coaching commodity will probably never be higher than present.

I'd be shocked if Brian Dutcher left SDSU. He's 63 years old and has been there since 1999.

Would be surprised to see Dutcher leave SDSU. He's 63. He's been at San Diego State for 24 years as an assistant or HC, and there's a pretty good chance SDSU is going to the Pac 12. Also, SDSU has a solid following; they are a legit program, and he's living in San Diego. Doesn't get much better than that.

Dusty May will go, but he may wait a year. FAU has one senior on their roster. So, they could be ranked in the top 10 to start next year. That said, I'm sure SEC schools are sniffing all over that program; will be interesting to see what the transfer portal does to FAU. FAU has crappy facilities and no fan base, but got to believe that if there are even a few rich benefactors, they will pony up to try keep the team together for at least one year (they are moving to the AAC). Even if FAU has an average year, May would still be hot next year, when there would be more Power jobs open. FWIW, May's dream job would be IU. He's an Indiana kid, went to IU and was a manager under Bobby Knight.

Fun fact: FAU's AD is Brian White. He's the brother of former Florida and current UGA coach Mike White. May was an assistant under Mike White at Florida, when Brian hired May in 2018. So, the FAU coaching search which resulted in one of the best hires of a coach with zero HC experience in college basketball history, entailed Brian White asking his brother who FAU should hire.

Last edited:
Yeah. I think May stays for those reasons. Most likely, he signs a nice extension with a good buyout for FAU and leaves after next season.

May probably should have gotten the Ole Miss job, but they went with an alleged domestic abuser the day the tournament started.

What will be interesting is if Miami and NIL reach out after the final four for any FAU players.. I think one of the sports shows said that the lifewallet guy for Miami even said he watched the tourny thinking about who could help the canes next year.

May is also a former manager at IU. Don't think IU is parting ways with Woodson any time soon, but that may be the job that May eventually wants.

FAU has pretty much everybody coming back just based on a quick glance at KP. Johnell Davis could play anywhere.

After May brings a title to Boca Raton they all might as well stay and try to run it back.

Realize we are getting waaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of ourselves, but it would be the sports story of all-time if FAU won back to back NCAA Basketball titles. If that unlikely event happened, Dusty May should just retire as the greatest coach of all-time.

Yes, the NIL money bag vultures will descend on FAU as soon as their run ends. That said, this run has to be the greatest event in FAU school history. Got to believe FAU has a couple of donors with cash to burn that perceive this run as a life changing event to the point that they give May a massive pay boost (and a buy-out that will allow FAU to have cash to hire the next HC), and provide sweet NIL packages for the FAU roster.

If WF got to this point, people would be coming out of the woodwork to give money so that the roster (and coaching) staff would return intact.

Realize we are getting waaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of ourselves, but it would be the sports story of all-time if FAU won back to back NCAA Basketball titles. If that unlikely event happened, Dusty May should just retire as the greatest coach of all-time.

Yes, the NIL money bag vultures will descend on FAU as soon as their run ends. That said, this run has to be the greatest event in FAU school history. Got to believe FAU has a couple of donors with cash to burn that perceive this run as a life changing event to the point that they give May a massive pay boost (and a buy-out that will allow FAU to have cash to hire the next HC), and provide sweet NIL packages for the FAU roster.

If WF got to this point, people would be coming out of the woodwork to give money so that the roster (and coaching) staff would return intact.
Worked pretty well for UNC this year, didn't it?
Hey, I get what you're saying and it could very well happen, but "keeping the band together" for the sake of dear ol' FAU and its legion of rabid fans, plus the players who dreamed of being an Owl from an early age just doesn't apply here. If they do stay it will prob be as you said that local boosters can drop more $$ on them than they can get either at another school or the NBA. I'm guessing wholesale changes in the coaching staff and roster a week after the tournament, though I'd rather see them come back and make another run next year.
p.s. I think FAU has the talent and momentum to win it all next week, but I'm also thinking at some point in either game they look up at 70K fans and all the media attention and the moment gets a bit overwhelming.

Penn State's old staff definitely getting a lot of mileage out of a 23-14 (10-10) season

Brey said USF didn’t offer.

I simply don't fucking get this one. I would have assumed a USF would have never imagined getting a Brey type coach.

My only guess is it was a $$$ issue. But you guys follow this stuff closer than I do so maybe there's more to it.

Yep. Brey was a corpse on the bench this past season. Checked out.

Why doesn’t Brey just retire for real and enjoy his life? Or just do one of the cushy TV gigs if he wants to stay involved in the game. Who wants to coach some shitty program and grind it out when you have tons of money in the bank.

Back