• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022-23 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Maybe he likes being on the sideline and doing the bonding/coaching, but not the recruiting. Would think he could do some special assistant stuff if that was truly important to him still.

Definitely got these vibes from Brey this season:

888.jpg

But I like Brey and understand that he probably just likes to coach basketball and would like to continue doing so.

He should try and create his own consulting gig. Hire him to mentor your young coach. He doesn't travel or recruit. Good luck finding that but stranger things have happened.

George Mason hires MD assistant Tony Skinn (excellent name). Skinn was a guard on Mason's 2006 Final 4 team:

Tony_Skinn_Horiz_Writeup_copy.jpg

Cal and Stanford can now trade coaches and get them back to their alma mater. What a weird situation.

George Mason hires MD assistant Tony Skinn (excellent name). Skinn was a guard on Mason's 2006 Final 4 team:

Tony_Skinn_Horiz_Writeup_copy.jpg

Skinn was suspended by the team for the opening round game against Michigan State for a nut punch in the Colonial tournament. No curse for Mason.

Stanford's new football coach Troy Taylor was a four year starter at QB for Cal. When Taylor graduated he was Cal's all-time passing and total offense leader.

Can't imagine any other school would hire not just a player from their most hated rival to head their football and basketball programs, but stars from the rival school.

Just don't see UNC hiring Mason Plumlee and Anthony Dilweg to lead the Tar Heel basketball and hoop programs.

yes, also true, but coaching college hoops especially seems like such a grind

I guess they keep doing it is the reason they're able to do it in the first place: because they're built differently than me

head coaching? feels like how being a CEO is a grind, no?
to me it's different

maybe a CEO of a huge company, sure, and they're making more money than big time coaches by a lot

but not necessarily the CEO of a mid-size firm or anything -- the constant hustle for recruiting teenagers and dealing with the press all the time is unique

So you don’t think being a head coach of a D1 team is an incredibly stressful job? So is being the CEO of pretty much any reasonably sized company. Just because you get paid a shitload of money doesn’t mean you aren’t stressed out of your mind.

Meant to quote Kory there but whatever. I mean Steve Forbes is flying off to Oklahoma or whatever in the middle of the ACC season to watch Parker Friedrichsen.

to me grind is not synonymous with incredibly stressful

and more to the original question, it's a matter of self-actualization, which I don't think many CEOs grow up wanting to be CEOs but I could be wrong

Yeah. I think May stays for those reasons. Most likely, he signs a nice extension with a good buyout for FAU and leaves after next season.
May signed a 10-year extension with FAU.

Back