• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

Come on tiger it’d ruin the integrity of the game to get rid of umpires with their thumbs on the scales that fuck up big things with no accountability.

The percentage accuracy numbers are also misleading. 80% or so of ball/strike calls are not on/near the edges of the zone and are easy to make. So he got 5 or 8 out of around 24 pitches incorrect. Missing between 20-35% of borderline calls in a world series game shouldn't be praised by anyone. AI (once programmed correctly) would miss zero.

The scorecard should target a zone of close calls, i.e. where the ump's call actually "matters". Everyone in the stadium could call a middle-of-the-zone strike or a ball in the dirt, not to mention all the swinging strikes and foul balls etc. Half the reason the ump is standing there is for the calls within a few inches of the edges and corners. I'd love to see something approximating a Kappa statistic on the scorecard, i.e. the % of correct calls beyond 50% (random) that the ump made. That way, 100% would be perfect, 0% would be me on my couch, and some number in between would be the tangible effectiveness of the ump. Much more meaningful than total % correct.

I have tickets to game 6. I thought I would look at game 5 tickets on the chance the Braves were up 3-1. Ticket prices right now are MUCH more expensive in Atlanta than Houston. Surprisingly so.

I have tickets to game 6. I thought I would look at game 5 tickets on the chance the Braves were up 3-1. Ticket prices right now are MUCH more expensive in Atlanta than Houston. Surprisingly so.

Third WS appearance for Houston in the last 5 years, while the Braves haven't been there since 1999. I'm sure that has something to do with the secondary market ticket prices.

Third WS appearance for Houston in the last 5 years, while the Braves haven't been there since 1999. I'm sure that has something to do with the secondary market ticket prices.

Given the Braves regional fan base a weeknight game would be a bit easier on the wallet too.

Ron "Mea" Kulpa. Sheesh.

That said, the first thing needing an officiating overhaul is the instant replay process, IMO.

Lol at the idea that the best tech we have is some 2d plane thing. This isn't the 90's.

What are you talking about? Every single thing posted on this thread about balls and strikes is exactly that. I didn't say it's not possible, I'm just saying the floating box on the tv screen wouldn't cut it. (But has turned everyone into the world's best couch umpire.)

Design a system that adjusts the high-low zone using biometrics of each batter in real time, and combine it with a 3-d zone over the entire plate, and set reasonable parameters and there you go. But yes, all the talk about crappy umpires is relying on inconsistent 2-d zones set somewhere toward the front of the plate. And yes, umpires make crappy calls and somehow seem to have gone against us overwhelmingly in the playoffs. No question they could use technology to do it better, but it would be expensive and way more involved than anything being used now. But it could definitely be done in MLB stadiums anyway.

Last edited:
I'm talking about this ridiculous sentence you wrote.

"The best that technology can do right now is offer a 2-dimensional plane that is inconsistently adjusted to player height that pitchers would love and batters would hate."

That is tech from over a decade ago. Current 100% viable options include 3d strike zones, deep learning systems that can instantly compare a live pitch to every pitch correctly called a strike in the filmed history of baseball before the ball hits the mit, camera systems that can adjust a 3 dimensional strike zone in 1/100th of a second, and human-like adjustments for corner and backdoor strikes that would not be acceptable to be called despite technically being strikes.

There is nothing preventing a modern system like this from being implemented except traditionalist thinking that favors human error in baseball. There's plenty of money and multiple tech options to, at the very least, improve the current state of balls and strikes.

It's fine to have an argument about favoring the tradition of umpires and how instant replay is ruining baseball, etc. But it's not a lack of tech. AI is piloting rockets back from space and landing them on a floating barge. This is not a technical challenge.

I'm talking about this ridiculous sentence you wrote.

"The best that technology can do right now is offer a 2-dimensional plane that is inconsistently adjusted to player height that pitchers would love and batters would hate."

That is tech from over a decade ago. Current 100% viable options include 3d strike zones, deep learning systems that can instantly compare a live pitch to every pitch correctly called a strike in the filmed history of baseball before the ball hits the mit, camera systems that can adjust a 3 dimensional strike zone in 1/100th of a second, and human-like adjustments for corner and backdoor strikes that would not be acceptable to be called despite technically being strikes.

There is nothing preventing a modern system like this from being implemented except traditionalist thinking that favors human error in baseball. There's plenty of money and multiple tech options to, at the very least, improve the current state of balls and strikes.

It's fine to have an argument about favoring the tradition of umpires and how instant replay is ruining baseball, etc. But it's not a lack of tech. AI is piloting rockets back from space and landing them on a floating barge. This is not a technical challenge.

What the fuck man? I'm agreeing with you. I didn't say the best technology we could muster up. I was referring to the technology currently being used. If you took the time to read my post I said the exact same thing. Spend money, design better equipment, set AI parameters and go with it. Probably cost prohibitive anywhere except for MLB parks but it could be done there. In fact put enough money into it balls and strikes is the easiest thing to fix.

Huge wasted opportunity. Will probably come back to haunt us. I am so damn tired of watching our hitters swing at pitches low and outside. Other than Freddie, almost zero plate discipline.

I mean Travis didn’t come close to going around, and the fact the home plate umpire called that is an absolute joke.

Back