• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

Made the obvious move to re-sign Rosario. That's a much needed lefty bat. I approve. Expect the next move will be AA snagging another veteran arm for the rotation on a modest deal.

These moves are definitely helping to earn the benefit of the doubt in the Freddie fiasco. The knee-jerk backlash from some of the local coverage seemed to jump the gun on how the organization was being cheap, ignored the revenue from last year, have no interest in the Braves as a team just as a financial windfall, etc. Doesn't seem to be the case though after recent events. If Freddie really did reject 5 years at $140M and you're potentially talking about $30M+ over the next 3 years, that can definitely help lock down guys like Max Fried. I love me some Freddie but the overall setup for the next 3-5 years feels a little too strong to be hypercritical.

With the Yankees re-signing Rizzo and the Jays dealing for Chapman (and with the Braves trading for Olson), Freddie's options are dwindling. Freeman is going to get a ton of money, but he is starting to lose leverage as the number of bidders contracts.

With the Yankees re-signing Rizzo and the Jays dealing for Chapman (and with the Braves trading for Olson), Freddie's options are dwindling. Freeman is going to get a ton of money, but he is starting to lose leverage as the number of bidders contracts.

Yep. He took too long.

Dodgers it is for Freeman. Got a 6th year in the deal. Doesn’t seem like the Braves offer could have been much different, but I guess he dragged his feet too long or he just really wanted to go home.

Dodgers it is for Freeman. Got a 6th year in the deal. Doesn’t seem like the Braves offer could have been much different, but I guess he dragged his feet too long or he just really wanted to go home.

He might have waited a little bit too long. He did get 6 years, which is something I heard he wanted. With California's income tax not sure he came out as well as on the financial side but it's still a ton of money. He gets to play close to where he grew up and already spends the offseason with his family in California.

After all of this, it seems to me that Freddie was never coming back to Atlanta. He wanted to go home and that's fine. You don't see GM's tearing up at the prospect of a player moving on when the opportunity to keep the player is available.

After all of this, it seems to me that Freddie was never coming back to Atlanta. He wanted to go home and that's fine. You don't see GM's tearing up at the prospect of a player moving on when the opportunity to keep the player is available.

Based on comments today, I don’t think that’s true. I think his agents played hard ball and overplayed their hand.

I mean, when Chipper comes out and basically says he warned Freddie not to overplay his hand, then his agent gives the Braves a 1 hour ultimatum... Not sure you can say you were "blindsided" considering Olson was a known option and the clock was ticking.

I've heard this may have boiled down to Freddie preferring Atlanta but being ok with L.A., while his agent calculated L.A. as a win and went hardball for the huge payday from Atlanta. That was pretty idiotic, because even if the numbers could have been made to work there's no way Atlanta would capitulate to an ultimatum like that.

Never in a million years would I have thought I'd side with Anthopoulos if Freddie ended up a Dodger, but damn, it's hard not to at this point.

I mean, when Chipper comes out and basically says he warned Freddie not to overplay his hand, then his agent gives the Braves a 1 hour ultimatum... Not sure you can say you were "blindsided" considering Olson was a known option and the clock was ticking.

I've heard this may have boiled down to Freddie preferring Atlanta but being ok with L.A., while his agent calculated L.A. as a win and went hardball for the huge payday from Atlanta. That was pretty idiotic, because even if the numbers could have been made to work there's no way Atlanta would capitulate to an ultimatum like that.

Never in a million years would I have thought I'd side with Anthopoulos if Freddie ended up a Dodger, but damn, it's hard not to at this point.

Yeah, did he really expect AA to let him know right before or something? I’m pleased with his moves and will hope he has something up his sleeve for Soler…

Well, signing Kenley Jansen for almost exactly the difference between Olson's contract and Freddie's is pretty on the nose...

Honestly, we got a comparable younger player who is more likely going to produce higher numbers over the contract for cheaper.

If we are going to compete with the higher payroll teams, we gotta be smarter and I think this was a smart baseball move.

After reading Olney’s article (fascinating), it feels like Freddie is repeating the story that his agent gave him to prevent Freddie from firing him for overplaying his hand and not getting Freddie what he said publicly he wanted. AA definitely came across as the adult in the room according to Buster.

That being said, nobody is crying fir Freddie. He has many millions and several potential championships to get over being hurt. So, if getting that 6th year and maximizing the payday was the real goal, then well done.

The thing is that he didn’t maximize the payday. It’s a much lower AAV and a lot of the money is deferred. His agent screwed up royally and Freddie seems pissed but not sure exactly who to be pissed at. Agree that AA made the right baseball move and was the adult in the room.

Back