• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: off season decisions loom

This seems like a tough one to overcome going against Wheeler and Nola next in a 5 game series. At least we know it's a resilient bunch.

Baseball is the most unpredictable sport when it comes to post-season. It takes a 162 games (or close to it) resolve the randomness of the game. The Pirates beat the Dodgers in a series this year. Any team can beat any other team in a best of 3, 5 or 7.

NLDS should be a 7 game series. So weird that a sport built around a 162 game schedule shorts the postseason when there are usually only 3 series to play to win it all.

Only the 5th inning. 2 in if we can get a couple more put some game pressure on them.

Did all Braves fans go to Florida State? Bunch of nincompoops. That home plate ump had no business working a postseason game.

Baseball is the most unpredictable sport when it comes to post-season. It takes a 162 games (or close to it) resolve the randomness of the game. The Pirates beat the Dodgers in a series this year. Any team can beat any other team in a best of 3, 5 or 7.
Yup, you just have to get hot at the right time. Last year we did and it was amazing. We'll see how today goes (assuming it doesn't get rained out).

NLDS should be a 7 game series. So weird that a sport built around a 162 game schedule shorts the postseason when there are usually only 3 series to play to win it all.

Not to mention it disadvantages teams with good starting pitching.

I'm all for more playoff baseball to watch as a fan!

Yep.

And ask 102 wins Mets what they feel about a 3 game WC series. Guess it's better than just 1 game.

The more games the better....

Yep.

And ask 102 wins Mets what they feel about a 3 game WC series. Guess it's better than just 1 game.

The more games the better....

101 wins, unless you count the postseason win.

I'm old school and kind of wish they'd go back to four divisions and a championship series. Too many teams now to do just a pennant race like they did pre-1961. Maybe they could go to eight divisions and an AL/NLDS and CS. But I don't like the wild card idea. Winning your division should mean something, even if it's the shittiest division.

But my reasoning is that if 162 games aren't enough to decide who is the best, then how many are? I realize there is $ involved, and that trumps everything. And that being the case, if you are going to expand the playoffs to as many teams as possible, it has to be a 5 games series minimum at the outset.

Not that that would have saved the Mets. They're just going to have a Cubs/Red Sox type streak for futility. It is destiny. 99% of the season was great, then straight down the shitter when it counted. Typical Mutts.

On the other hand, ask anyone who ever cheered for Florida Gulf Coast, UMBC, or George Mason how they'd feel about a 3 game series...

(I know it's different sports. Just saying that sometimes having the "best" team actually win is fun, sometimes having best-team-over-162-games-be-damned chaos is fun.)

101 wins, unless you count the postseason win.

I'm old school and kind of wish they'd go back to four divisions and a championship series. Too many teams now to do just a pennant race like they did pre-1961. Maybe they could go to eight divisions and an AL/NLDS and CS. But I don't like the wild card idea. Winning your division should mean something, even if it's the shittiest division.

But my reasoning is that if 162 games aren't enough to decide who is the best, then how many are? I realize there is $ involved, and that trumps everything. And that being the case, if you are going to expand the playoffs to as many teams as possible, it has to be a 5 games series minimum at the outset.

Not that that would have saved the Mets. They're just going to have a Cubs/Red Sox type streak for futility. It is destiny. 99% of the season was great, then straight down the shitter when it counted. Typical Mutts.

Next year may change peoples' feelings on this as I think everyone plays the same schedule. So you could theoretically finish second in your division with a better record than the other division leaders against the exact same schedule. That will be weird.

The game is on Fried but I still cannot believe the biggest AB of the game and they pinch hit with the rookie who they haven't played in a month.

Matzek to have TJ surgery today. Haven't seen it announced who is doing it but hopefully my boy Dr. Meister. Always copy the Rays, even their preferred surgeon. I've soured on Dr. ElAttrache.

Yeah, you have to love almost all of AA's moves. These long term contract guys aren't all going to be all-star level players (or if they are, we'll win many, many WS), but the contracts are friendly enough that we're fine even if a couple decline. Now if 2-3 become non-startable players, then you'd have an issue, but I don't see that happening.

Back