• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Carolina Panthers Thread - Move to the 2023 thread

[insert Panthers exec/coach here] is kind of a dummy

This applies to most of the time of the franchise especially the last decade or so. Cam dragged this franchise to a Super Bowl and a lot of people thought they were better than they really were and forgot to protect Cam.

corral's injury is also one that not many athletes have really come back from at all

corral's injury is also one that not many athletes have really come back from at all

Come on man, do you actually believe he is hurt? Dude is out for the year because someone stepped on his foot, coincidentally in the next game following it becoming fully apparent that he needed to have a redshirt year with the makeup of this team. The only guy out for the year just happens to be the one who needs to be out for the year? Okay.

No, most athletes do come back from Lisfrancs, but the recovery time can be really long. Malcolm Brogden had 1 when he was at UVA, and he was out of action for over a year.

No, most athletes do come back from Lisfrancs, but the recovery time can be really long. Malcolm Brogden had 1 when he was at UVA, and he was out of action for over a year.

that's encouraging

from what i read - it's kind of a mixed bag on long-term results for football players, and comes with a high risk of re-injury

that's encouraging

from what i read - it's kind of a mixed bag on long-term results for football players, and comes with a high risk of re-injury

Yup, more susceptible to re-injury than an ACL, and you don't want to rush it. So it's possible he's not available early next season, which would mean you're not playing him at all next year. I don't see a coach putting a young QB in a game for the 1st time in November when he missed training camp and pre-season.

Yup, more susceptible to re-injury than an ACL, and you don't want to rush it. So it's possible he's not available early next season, which would mean you're not playing him at all next year. I don't see a coach putting a young QB in a game for the 1st time in November when he missed training camp and pre-season.

Corral wouldn't be playing next November anyway. It has been known since they traded for him that if Baker has a reasonably decent year this year they will franchise him for next season for a second trial year before committing to anything long term. If Baker sucks this year then they will go with a 1st round QB or try to get a big time veteran. They aren't pinning their hopes on Matt Corral. He was a 3rd round gamble when their only option was Darnold. Corral is not a realistic starting option at any point in the next several years, hence the "injury". When he "recovers", he will be competing for a backup job at best.

Corral wouldn't be playing next November anyway. It has been known since they traded for him that if Baker has a reasonably decent year this year they will franchise him for next season for a second trial year before committing to anything long term. If Baker sucks this year then they will go with a 1st round QB or try to get a big time veteran. They aren't pinning their hopes on Matt Corral. He was a 3rd round gamble when their only option was Darnold. Corral is not a realistic starting option at any point in the next several years, hence the "injury". When he "recovers", he will be competing for a backup job at best.

Seems like a wasted pick then.

Franchising Mayfield would mean you're paying him in the mid $40s. Anyone paying him that kind of change needs to have their head examined. Dude is not an elite QB. I'd probably rank him in the low to mid 20s. I've thought all along that some team would end up paying him in the $30-35 range, which I think is still too steep for his level of play.

What do you think Lamar Jackson is going to get paid after this year, considering he has the same number of playoff wins as Baker ?

I was about to say that Mayfield is Cousins at about the same age with a higher ceiling, but man. Cousins has thrown for over 4k yards every year he has started 16 games (including 1 year with 4900 :eek:). He's also only missed 1 game in the last 7 years. Granted, his career took off when he was 27, which is what Baker will be turning this year, but Baker has larger shoes to fill in that regard than I realized. Now it almost has me wondering if his ceiling is Cousins...which may actually be fine.

Last edited:
I don’t know Biff but every time I watch Cousins he seems to complete every damn pass. Against my teams at least. He just goes about it quietly it seems.

What do you think Lamar Jackson is going to get paid after this year, considering he has the same number of playoff wins as Baker ?

I don't know. It's been rumored that the Ravens have made a substantial offer somewhere in the mid-$40s. But if his demands are too great, I can see rolling with Huntley and picking up Bryce Perkins. The trouble with Lamar is he's far and away the most hit QB in the league. Do you guarantee > $200mil to a guy who is injury prone? If he gets a debilitating injury, then you're screwed for several years.

Wolverine, Cousins is a pretty good comparison to Mayfield, though Cousins has a better arm. And I think Cousins may have 1 of his best years this year now that he's away from Zimmer. So I'm liking his fantasy value, along with Jefferson and Irv Smith. Think I'd rate Cousins a few spots higher than Baker.

I don't know. It's been rumored that the Ravens have made a substantial offer somewhere in the mid-$40s. But if his demands are too great, I can see rolling with Huntley and picking up Bryce Perkins. The trouble with Lamar is he's far and away the most hit QB in the league. Do you guarantee > $200mil to a guy who is injury prone? If he gets a debilitating injury, then you're screwed for several years.

Wolverine, Cousins is a pretty good comparison to Mayfield, though Cousins has a better arm. And I think Cousins may have 1 of his best years this year now that he's away from Zimmer. So I'm liking his fantasy value, along with Jefferson and Irv Smith. Think I'd rate Cousins a few spots higher than Baker.

Wait, you think Cousins is like the 18th at best starting quarterback in the NFL ? You really think he's worse than guys like Tua, Hurts, and Winston ?

Yeah, I just counted 14 better, and a couple young guys will probably assert themselves this year. The young guy I'm most interested in is Lance. He's a great guy, and I want to see how Shanahan uses him.

Franchising Mayfield would mean you're paying him in the mid $40s. Anyone paying him that kind of change needs to have their head examined. Dude is not an elite QB. I'd probably rank him in the low to mid 20s. I've thought all along that some team would end up paying him in the $30-35 range, which I think is still too steep for his level of play.

If he has a decent year this year, then they will definitely pay him mid-40s on a 1-year franchise tag to determine whether or not he is worth a long-term deal. Again assuming he is decent, you don't give up a potential franchise QB because of money. It is the most important position in sports and they don't grow on trees, it isn't like every year is an open auction bid process on all the starting QBs. His value is not relative to other starting QBs, his value is relative to other available starting QBs.

ETA: and to clarify, by decent with this roster and schedule I mean making the playoffs. If he makes the playoffs with this team this year he will get a mid-40s franchise tag for next season to see if he deserves a long-term deal.

Last edited:
Franchise him and draft a good QB.

Back